Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Playback (Read 1825 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Playback

I have been using FLAC files for a few years now along with "VLC Player" until I started searching for FLAC playback software with playlists, etc.

Does Foobar2000 playback FLAC files at their true potential? What if the file is 48k it appeared to only support 44k playback? Full bit-rate supported? I have some files @ 8,000-9,000kbps

~Thanks

FLAC Playback

Reply #1
foobar2000 offers full FLAC support. If by "true potential" you mean "true bit-for-bit playback", then yes. However, the true output sample rate (as in the actual sound that goes to your speakers, not what's specified in the file) depends on your sound card. If you listen mainly to 48kHz audio files, it would be best to set your sound card to 48kHz to minimize distortion by resampling. For reference, audio CDs are mostly 44.1kHz.

In any case, foobar2000 will play FLAC files of any sample rate, and supports playlists. It even has a smart random/shuffle feature.

If you're going to try out foobar2000, I highly recommend the Columns UI interface. Check it out!

FLAC Playback

Reply #2
My sound card and home receiver are both set to 96kHz hopefully everything has not been being up-sampled.

I'm having a hard time setting the interface up the way I want it I will have to open another thread but it seems very customizable.

The main reason I found this program was for automotive audio purposes, I want to run a tablet netbook in my truck for FLAC playback purposes.

FLAC Playback

Reply #3
Ah, right. Clean multiples of sample rates also work nice.

Good luck with your customization.