Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Califone 1155K turntable speed (Read 6475 times) previous topic - next topic

Califone 1155K turntable speed

I recently acquired a Califone 1155K phonograph/pa system everything seems to work fine except the turntable speeds all seem too slow.  It is spindle driven.  I was wondering if replacing the small spring that pulls the drive wheel over to the spindle might be  the culprit.  Also, is it ok to lubricate the motor with lite machine oil?

If I need to replace the motor, any suggestions on a parts supplier?

Reply #1

Almost mandatory that you lubricate the motor. Personally I use / recommend Nye Oil II synthetic. The motor will last a very long time as long as the bushings are in good shape. Running them dry will fail FAST.

Reply #2
If it's "slipping", usually it's easy to slow it down with your finger and you can tell there isn't much torque.

Replacing the spring is probably worth a try.  Replacing the drive-wheel might worthwhile too, if you can find one.  The rubber can "dry out".    The rubber is more-likely to be the problem, but a spring is probably easier & cheaper to try.

The motor is unlikely to be the problem unless the lubrication has become "gummy".  And of course, if you oil the motor you must not get oil on the belt/wheel.

Usually the motor is either synchronous or controlled electronically.  A synchronous motor locks-onto the AC line frequency and tends to be very accurate.  (Unless you take a 60Hz turntable U.S. turntable to Europe and run it off 50 Hz.)  Electronically controlled turntables usually have a speed/pitch control and a strobe to set the speed accurately.  Things can go wrong with the electronics.    Some cheaper turntables had induction motors which were not as accurate, but millions of "consumer" turntables had them, so they must have been "good enough"

I assume there is no speed/pitch adjustment knob...  If there is, the pot can get dirty making it hard to hit the correct speed.

I'm NOT recommending this, but I used to temporarily repair slipping wheels &  belts with a little dishwashing detergent.    Of course it's very slippery when 1st apply it, but as it starts to dry-out it gets gummy-sticky.