Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The right headphone for me (Read 1633 times) previous topic - next topic

The right headphone for me

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a headphone, my budget is around 250 euro.
I mainly listen to drum and bass/liquid, but i also enjoy listening to commercial music. So it has to have a good bass, but not to extreme. I use it for a lot, tv, ipod, on my bike, when I'm in the car but not driving,... A decent bit of noise canceling would be nice. It also has to be resistant against rain when it's raining and i'm on my bike. Oh one more requirement: it absolutely has to be an 'arround ear headphone'!

I also have a few questions:
-If I buy a wireless headphone, will I be able to listen to my ipod nano (5th gen)? Because it doesn't have bluetooth/wifi...
-How big are the transmitters for a wireless headphone? Because I don't want to put a big transmitter i'm on my bike.

I did a bit of research but i'm a total layman in the field of headphones

Sorry for the bad english and thanks in advance,
Tom

Reply #1
I can't recommend a particular headphone, but if you search this forum you can find some recommendations.

You'll can find some excellent-sounding headphones in your price range. 

If you are concerned about sound quality I always recommend that you go to a store and listen...  You'll learn a lot more by listening to headphones than by listening to advice.  It's also helpful to judge the comfort for yourself.  Opinions & preferences  vary, and the specs/measurements for speakers and headphones are often useless. 

I don't know anything about bluetooth transmitters.    Sennheiser makes some nice wireless headphones, but most of them are not bluetooth and I think the transmitter is really made for home use.  (i.e. The headphone has a battery, but the transmitter plugs into wall power).

A decent bit of noise canceling would be nice.
You probably just need a reguar "sealed" or "closed" headphone that blocks-out noise.  There are "open" headphones that you can hear through.    (There are also some "semi-open" models.) 

Active noise canceling headphones have microphones that pick-up ambient sounds and inject an out-of phase signal into the headphone electronics to cancel-out the noise acoustically.  That's one of those things you might want to try-out before making a puchasing decision.

Reply #2
P.S.
Noise isolation on a bicycle seems dangerous!    Even noise-masking with moderately loud music and hear-through headphones seems a bit dangerous.