Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar and Win 2012 Server (Read 1892 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar and Win 2012 Server

Hello,
I'd setup a little server (HP NL40) with win 2012 and whant to use foobar as a Music player.
I haven't expected any issues, but now i am running into trouble.

Sometimes Foobar hangs up, and it is not possible to close the process. I tried all possibilitys with administration rights and even a tool like process Hacker. The Foobar process remains with a usage of 500Meg's of RAM and a CPU usage of 0% . Only a Restart can help out (but is not aceptable for me).

Closing Foobar is done in about 60second's, what seems very long for me.

Has anybody testet Foobar with Win 2012 server?

I use the following "special" Components:
VST Plugin
DR Meter
UPNP Server
ASIO OUT (+ASIO All with an audiolab DAC)

For those one's who will ask "why on earth win 2012?"
Storage Spaces of Win 8 are a nice thing, but very very slow. In win 2012 you got the possibility to get a "fast" storage space.

Reply #1
Have you tired foobar2000 without the extra plugins installed?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
I've been using Foobar with Server 2012 for quite a while now and have had no issues at all. Before that I ran it on Server 2008 R2 for about a year with nothing funny happening.

The ram usage your getting is bit of a puzzle as I get circa 155mb ram usage when playing a flac file. I'm also running more than a few components too. Also the fact that its taking so long to shut down makes me think that something is hogging resources.

The idea already suggested which is to try FB with no extra plugins is a good one.

Reply #3
Components can't cause the process to become unkillable. Only kernel mode code can do that. You should check your sound card drivers. If it has HD Audio compatible sound card you'd have best luck with the built-in drivers.

Reply #4
Components can't cause the process to become unkillable. Only kernel mode code can do that. You should check your sound card drivers. If it has HD Audio compatible sound card you'd have best luck with the built-in drivers.

Thanks for your answer!
The MDAC ran with a 10m USB Cable for a long time (with a repeater) for about an year now. To connect it with the "new" server, i hocked up another Usb repeater Cable.
With a little bit of "House modification" i managed it to save a few meters and now the "new" server runs with the old 10m Connection.
I hope this will help!

Is there a posibility to look if it is a hardware (soundcard) issue?

My next Steps if the the problem didn't went away:
1.) Switch of UPNP
2.) Don't use ASIO ALL and ASIO out
3.) Using an "old" USB Soundcard with a long spidf Cable

Normally Foobar needs around 300mb of RAM.

Greetings out of Berlin, Stefan

Reply #5
I tried everything depending on audiooutput and nothing worked out my problem.
Finally it was the UPNP Plugin! If i use my "old" one ore the newest one the problems are the same.

I used UPNP very often, but it's not as necsessary as hearing music at all.