IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Help with getting my first Record Play Setup?, Newbie trying to get into the game of Vinyl
DefeatedSky
post Nov 17 2013, 15:28
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 112273

Hi! Basically, I've purchased a dozen vinyls over the past couple years, always with the intent of getting a record player eventually. Ive looked online at the "all-in-one" record players by crosley and stuff, but apparently those are pretty crappy quality wise. Are there any decent "all-in-one" record players out there?

I would love to get a turntable with a reciever and a nice pair of speakers, but nowhere online can I find a package deal or even a guide that would direct me to any good setups.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Engelsstaub
post Nov 17 2013, 15:49
Post #2

Member No.: 78200

Even for entry-level I would buy a separate record player/not one that's integrated into a system (like the cheap ones they used to sell at stores in the '80s.)

THIS is a really respectable entry-level turntable for a reasonable price. You will have to by a cartridge as well (and possibly have a friend/pro set it up properly for you.) This particular model has a built-in preamp (which you may bypass if desired.) All you'll need is your speakers/amp combo and you'll be ready to go.

There are other alternatives (especially if you're willing to pay more) but this is just one example that I can think of. Hope it helps.

This post has been edited by Engelsstaub: Nov 17 2013, 15:50

--------------------
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Nov 17 2013, 21:42
Post #3

Member No.: 46454

Ive looked online at the "all-in-one" record players by crosley and stuff, but apparently those are pretty crappy quality wise.
The main thing I'd look for is a magnetic cartridge. Virtually any cartridge you buy separately will be magnetic, and most turntables that come with a cartridge will come with a magnetic cartridge so it's not a big worry, but a few cheap ones come with ceramic cartridges, and I'd avoid those.

If an all-in-one has a magnetic cartridge and line-level outputs (or tape outputs) for connection to a stereo system, it's probably OK.

I'd say the "sweet spot" is about $300 - $400 USD for a turntable, cartridge (with stylus), and a phono preamp. If you spend much less, sound quality will suffer. If you spend too much more quality may improve a bit, but you can spend thousands and you'll still only get analog vinyl quality. It's not like digital where you can get super-good quality for a super-low price. And, you hit a point where it takes a lot more money for a small improvement.

Most USB turntables come complete with a cartridge and a built-in preamp with RCA line-out connectors for direct connection to an amplifier/receiver (or line-in on a soundcard). So you might consider a USB turntable, even if you don't plan on using the USB.

This post has been edited by DVDdoug: Nov 17 2013, 21:43
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Nov 19 2013, 11:27
Post #4

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

QUOTE (DVDdoug @ Nov 17 2013, 20:42) *
If an all-in-one has a magnetic cartridge and line-level outputs (or tape outputs) for connection to a stereo system, it's probably OK.
...or it might still be junk.

Cheers,
David.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 23:47