Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMA/ASF Data Object Independence (Read 3293 times) previous topic - next topic

WMA/ASF Data Object Independence

I have been working on a project parsing and transmitting mp3 files over a network to a hardware decoder. The MP3 format specifies that frames may not be independent due to 'byte-reservoir or back data'; where data for a one frames lies in the proceeding frame.

I can find no reference to this in the ASF specification; but was wondering if a decoder can decode a data object (or frame or packet etc..) on it's own, or whether it needs several. And if so where is the information relating to this stored?

Thanks
Tim

WMA/ASF Data Object Independence

Reply #1
Looking at the decoder source, it seems like each packet contains 1 superframe.  Looking at the superframe init code, a superframe is equal to a frame if there is no bit reservoir.  So it looks like individual superframes/packets should be independent of each other, but I'm not certain.