Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musicbrainz (Read 280583 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #175
When trying to retrieve tags by TOC, the track length in samples must be divisible by 588. Can support for files encoded at 48000hz (eg Opus files) be implemented for when retrieving tags by TOC?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #176
Does foo_musicbrainz write ID3v2.4 tags? If so, can it be changed to write ID3v2.3?
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #177
I believe this plugin is writing MusicBrainz IDs to the incorrect tags. At the very least it is writing them differently than Picard, and I believe Picard is the reference standard.

The full tag mappings are here:
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard/Tags/Mapping

As you can see, Picard tags Album ID in ID3v2.3 in "TXXX:MusicBrainz Album Id"
However, foo_musicbrainz tags Album ID to MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID

this also occurs with Artist IDs (though not Track IDs strangely)

This can be tested easily by tagging an album in foobar first with foo_musicbrainz, and then tagging the album again in Picard (make sure to not have it delete all prior tags before writing). You'll have redundant tags, with both "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID" and "MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID" populated with the same data.

I'm not sure which is correct, but I would lean toward Picard. Regardless they should be doing the same thing.

What should I do if I want to adhere to musicbrainz standards?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #178
Does foo_musicbrainz write ID3v2.4 tags? If so, can it be changed to write ID3v2.3?

i don't use this but i'm guessing it uses the foobar core to write tags. check the settings under file>preferences>advanced>tagging>mp3>id3v2 revision and quirks.

(these days foobar writes id3v2.3 by default but if you've continuously upgraded from older versions it may have remembered the old default of using 2.4)

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #179
Hey,
Does this plug-in do a fingerprint of the track? I think it should do, but I can't manage to find the option/button for this.
As it is written in the first post:
Fetches data by automatically calculated MusicBrainz Disc ID

The only musicbrainz related buttons are in RMB->Tagging->Get Tags From MusicBrainz (artist and album tags // musicbrainz album id). My understanding is that the music album id option should calculate the fingerprint and querry the server, but instead it just ask me to manually enter the ID. Is this the intended behaviour?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #180
Just insert your cd and it will find it in MB instead of using FreeDB or CDDB for instance.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #181
Does this plug-in do a fingerprint of the track? I think it should do, but I can't manage to find the option/button for this.
No, it doesn't. If you want full musicbrainz features, use Picard or any of the provided third party alternatives (see mb homepage).

Fetches data by automatically calculated MusicBrainz Disc ID
Yes, but only for lossless sources. You can't derive disc ID's from sources that don't preserve the 588 sample sector layout of Redbook-CDs, as do most (all?) lossy codecs.

My understanding is that the music album id option should calculate the fingerprint and querry the server, but instead it just ask me to manually enter the ID. Is this the intended behaviour?
Yes, as said above, the plugin doesn't support fingerprinting. Additionally you're misunderstanding said option. It only works if either the album ID is present already or you can provide it manually. Fingerprinting has nothing to do with album IDs, because fingerprinting can only identify tracks, not albums. It's up to the application to use a smart algorithm for clustering single tracks to albums.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #182
Thanks, soulsearchingsun

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #183
Does this plugin still work? I'm getting "Nothing Found" even when i manually use the musicbrainz ID.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #184
it's working fine for me. i normally just use the artist/album lookup but i did a quick test of searching with the album ID and that worked ok as well.

are you definitely using the album ID and not release group?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #186
It is necessary to select all the tracks from an album.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #187
Thanks. I'll try that.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #188
I don't get the point of this? seems just for people who have a ton of music with no/poor tags.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #189
I don't get the point of this?
[states a main point of it]
Erm, OK then. Yes, foo_musicbrainz and similar are for people who, for whatever reason(s), feel their tags could be improved by an automatic look-up. Please do not portray a lack of interest to you as evidence of a lack of usefulness overall.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #190
I don't get the point of this? seems just for people who have a ton of music with no/poor tags.

MusicBrainz is a community of people who are dedicated to just the opposite. However, for me, it's a starting point. My first reference. I use it then check with rateyourmusic, discogs, then the back of the album cover. I started communities on Last.fm; according to Hoyle Tagger's Society, Foobar Audiophiles. I take my music seriously http://www.last.fm/user/lancerocke/journal...ble_artist_tags , as do they. Check my tags for yourslef buddy http://d.pr/f/sYHz

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #191
Hello, i have an issue with the musicbrainz plugin in foobar2000.

When it's import the informations from musicbrainz to foobar2000, some discs was replaced "feat." etc with a "," in the artist-field.

In Musicbrainz:  " Abc feat. def - songtitle" shows in foobar2000 as "Abc,def - songtitle".

I'm use the buildin foo_musicbrainz plugin. is it newer, older, or the same as the 0.3?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #192
they are 2 different things. the musicbrainz support built into foobar is only part of the CD rip dialog. if your problem is with that, this thread isn't the place to discuss it.

then you have this totally separate 3rd party component which is activated by right clicking selected files in a playlist and using the musicbrainz items under the tagging submenu.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #193
Hi, nice plugin. Does it automatically scrape the album art and save it locally or will it only display the artist/album artwork whilst online? Whilst playing on random it's displaying an image for every track, but I can't find where it's saving them. If it's not saving them, is there an option to do so? I only ask because I am often not online, and rarely on a decent connection. Thanks.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #194
AFAIK, this component doesn't support downloading album art at all. whatever you're seeing is probably in the folder along side your audio files or embedded in it. double clicking the artwork panel should open explorer and locate it for you.

you might look at picard if you want to download album art from musicbrainz. or there is album art downloader XUI which uses musicbrainz as just one of many sources,

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #195
AFAIK, this component doesn't support downloading album art at all. whatever you're seeing is probably in the folder along side your audio files or embedded in it. double clicking the artwork panel should open explorer and locate it for you.

you might look at picard if you want to download album art from musicbrainz. or there is album art downloader XUI which uses musicbrainz as just one of many sources,

Thank you, I shall look into both your suggestions.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #196

I just started looking at this. Picard is a standalone tagging solution? And, it is not available as Foobar plug-in?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #197
Picard is a stand-alone tagging program written by MusicBrainz to access its database, yes.

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #198
My example:
I have a bunch of albums tagged "Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers" and another bunch tagged as "Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers". WiKiPedia seems to suggest that the lowercase "the" is correct?
So, what's the best approach to changing this? Foobar built-in access to freedb? Musicbrainz plug-in? Or, a standalone solution?

foo_musicbrainz

Reply #199
Well, no one jumped in here...

I went album to album using Tag&Rename changing "The" to "the". There must be a better way to do a conditional change like this?