Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sub-$100 Speakers (Read 7997 times) previous topic - next topic

Sub-$100 Speakers

I have $100 to spend on some 2.1 desktop speakers.  I am not interested in 4.1, 5.1,6.1,7.1,7.2,....
I am not interested in headphones as I already good headphones.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best possible speakers you can get for sub-$100?

So far I have seen the following 2:

i-trigue
altec 2100

are these good or crap!

Is there anything better than these?

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #3
check out this 2.1 speakers (if you really want 2.1)

http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?path=/pro...6&line=Promedia

but i actually dont know how expensive they are.

I'm afraid, the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 costed about 250€ two years ago. A friend of mine owns them. For their size they are awfully LOUD and sound very well!

fragtal
I love the moderators.

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #5
If you already have a receiver and would like to connect you PC to it.. then I guess it is better to choose not PC speakers but something more realistic "professional" or more "audiophile". Right now I'm about to replace my current 2.1 Altec Lansing with a 2 speakers and a reciever. So far after a small research Paradigm speakers look best for me. You can get Paradigm Atom ~100 on eBay or in store if you really look hard (in North America). I don't think I would need a subwoofer since they are quite good by themselves. If you accumulate a bit more money then Titan have the best price/quality ratio imho.
Check out this link:

Paradigm Performance series speakers (!)
My endian is bigger than yours.

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #6

http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?path=/pro...6&line=Promedia

but i actually dont know how expensive they are.

Newegg has the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers for $170 with free shipping.  More than Jenny wants to spend, but nevertheless highly regarded as one of the best 2.1 system on the market.

Jenny, if you can find a way to afford these, you won't regret them.  If there's a Best Buy near you, they carry them as well and you can demo them in the store.  As fratgal said, they get very loud, but sound great.

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #7
Slightly OT, but when I moved to the US from the UK four years ago I was considering getting an amp and speakers for my PC to replace the crappy computer speakers.  I was surprised to find that over here that's an expensive proposition, as most hi-fi in the US either a) costs a lot, or B) is cheap with most of the money spent on flashing lights.

So the $170 for the Klipsch speakers recommended would, in the UK, buy a reasonable pair of Kef speakers and a good Cambridge Audio amp (see www.richersounds.co.uk if you want a drool!) which I guess would outshine the Klipsch option.

Cheers, Paul

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #8
I would agree with Surge, despite the fact that he is a Canadian promoting Canadian speakers, eh. 

I have been playing with "hi-fi" and "stereo" for better than 50 years and like the Paradigms as the best small speakers I have ever heard.  Now speakers are a very subjective thing, so you have to buy what sounds the best to you, but at least ABX the Paradigms.  I would buy them in a heartbeat if I needed small speakers.

Nov schmoz kapop.

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #9
I would agree with Surge, despite the fact that he is a Canadian promoting Canadian speakers, eh.  

Hehe... I don't get any profit for promoting Paradigms  and at the same time I know there are a lot of Energy speakers fans around (Energy also produced in Canada), however they sound like sh*t to me and I would never recommend them  I agree however that speakers choice is a very personal thing. Some of the people who auditioned my Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers (my entry level Hi-End home theater system) like them A LOT others say that they are too detailed you get tired of listening to them for a long time. These people also preffered the warm sound of Mission, but for me they lack some details and I really like "monitor" sound.

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #10
I don't think I would need a subwoofer since they are quite good by themselves. If you accumulate a bit more money then Titan have the best price/quality ratio imho.
Check out this link:

Paradigm Performance series speakers (!)

I've heard the atom's and they are nice bookshelves, no doubt, but you will definitely need a sub unless you aren't concerned at all with good low-end.

On the topic of Canadian speakers, I own PSB Image 2B speakers and have been nothing but happy with them.  I also agree that Energy speakers are overrated and in general WAAY too bright for those of us concerned about neutrality.  Paradigm sound great, but are pricey even here in Canada.

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #11
Thanx for all the advice!

i would chose some good stereo speakers.
If you can recommend good stereo speakers, which sound better then 2.1, then please do!

do you need active or passive speakers ?
I think passive speakers will be beyond my price range as I have no receiver/amp.

I do like them klipsch but they are too expensive!

I'm afraid, the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 costed about 250€ two years ago. A friend of mine owns them. For their size they are awfully LOUD and sound very well!
I agree, a friend of mine as them, and they sound very sweet!

Try Hercules XPS-210
How much do these Hercules XPS-210 cost?

If you already have a receiver and would like to connect you PC to it.. then I guess it is better to choose not PC speakers but something more realistic "professional" or more "audiophile". Right now I'm about to replace my current 2.1 Altec Lansing with a 2 speakers and a reciever. So far after a small research Paradigm speakers look best for me. You can get Paradigm Atom ~100 on eBay or in store if you really look hard (in North America). I don't think I would need a subwoofer since they are quite good by themselves. If you accumulate a bit more money then Titan have the best price/quality ratio imho.
Check out this link:

Paradigm Performance series speakers  
Nah, I have no receiver, so this solution, would probably be too expensive!

Newegg has the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers for $170 with free shipping. More than Jenny wants to spend, but nevertheless highly regarded as one of the best 2.1 system on the market.

Jenny, if you can find a way to afford these, you won't regret them. If there's a Best Buy near you, they carry them as well and you can demo them in the store. As fratgal said, they get very loud, but sound great.
I agree with you totally,  They are very good speakers, but I am not necessarily looking for loud, I am looking for quality sound.  OK, the klipsch are loud and have quality sound, but are too expensive!

I've heard the atom's and they are nice bookshelves, no doubt, but you will definitely need a sub unless you aren't concerned at all with good low-end.

On the topic of Canadian speakers, I own PSB Image 2B speakers and have been nothing but happy with them. I also agree that Energy speakers are overrated and in general WAAY too bright for those of us concerned about neutrality. Paradigm sound great, but are pricey even here in Canada.
Again, they are probably gonna be too much as I have no receiver!

So far, I think the passive route will probably be too expensive, as I will have to purchase a separate receiver/amp, so I think that is out of the question!

I think the only route I have left is to get good quality active stereo speakers.  Any suggestions?

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #12
The XPS-210 from hercules cost In Euros 70 € i have ones and i must say that they are very good, Sub 30W speakers 10W each
Made in Portugal

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #13
Don't laugh: I bought a pair of Philips speakers for my sister, which cost 16 euro's or so. They turn out to sound pretty swell! They're even better when compared to many Labtec and Logitech kind of speakers I've heard, that are more than five times dearer.
In fact, I even dare to say I like them better than those coaxial Kef home theater satellites. But this isn't really fair, since the Kefs are actually quite good with details, it's just there's something slightly metallic about them.

The type was something like A1.2 Fun or so.

They're very natural in the highs, something you wouldn't expect in any pc speaker (what do you need highs for when playing crappy mp3s? ). The 3D feeling in many live recordings is totally missing though, I guess because they have practically zero response in the lowest few octaves. For the lows, you'll definitely have to spend on finding a matching sub.

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #14
Don't laugh: I bought a pair of Philips speakers for my sister, which cost 16 euro's or so. They turn out to sound pretty swell! They're even better when compared to many Labtec and Logitech kind of speakers I've heard, that are more than five times dearer.
In fact, I even dare to say I like them better than those coaxial Kef home theater satellites. But this isn't really fair, since the Kefs are actually quite good with details, it's just there's something slightly metallic about them.

The type was something like A1.2 Fun or so.

They're very natural in the highs, something you wouldn't expect in any pc speaker (what do you need highs for when playing crappy mp3s? ). The 3D feeling in many live recordings is totally missing though, I guess because they have practically zero response in the lowest few octaves. For the lows, you'll definitely have to spend on finding a matching sub.

Most of my audio collection is in APE format ripped with EAC (near perfect quality, if not perfect), so having decent speakers would make sence!

The only time I use lossy is for portable useage.  For that I use ogg -q1

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #15
I have a Logitech Z-340's that I use for casual listening.  They work for me.  I've recommended them to many people that also agree that the performance: price ratio is great.  (You can grab em at Best Buy for $25 after a $25 mail in rebate).
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #16
The remark about not needing highs should have been put in irony-brackets, I guess
I seriously meant to suggest you try those Philips speakers. I know, it sounds like I'm kidding, because they're so cheap. But I'm not.

One thing I forgot to mention: they're also terribly ugly.

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #17
Hey Jenny. Indicate where you're from in your profile so we know what you can buy and what currency you want the prices in. I'm guessing you're American, but its nice to have a flag under your name, no?

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #18
I've always liked the Altec Lansing ATP3. The midrange is pretty smooth, treble is decent and the bass coming from the wooden subwoofer is articulate unlike some one-note fart boxes. And you can find them anywhere from $30-$80 depending on whether you go retail or clearance/refurb.

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #19
I've just checked prices and I belive that out of all computer speakers <100 Altec Lansing 621 is the best!
Out of all computer speakers I heard, Altec Lansing were winners over others in the same price range.
Check them out here:
Altec Lansing 621

Before heading to the store check out the reviews for these speakers that Google find:
Google results on 621 review

I don't even think that Promedia 2.1 is any better than 621.

Enjoy!

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #20
I've just checked prices and I belive that out of all computer speakers <100 Altec Lansing 621 is the best!

I should be getting mine tomorrow. I ordered them a couple of days ago, I'll report back and tell you how good they are. If anyone is interested, and from the UK, I got them via www.scan.co.uk.
"There is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan."
- Worth, Cube (1997)

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #21

I should be getting mine tomorrow. I ordered them a couple of days ago, I'll report back and tell you how good they are. If anyone is interested, and from the UK, I got them via www.scan.co.uk.

That would be great, thanx!

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #22
Well, I have them

They are an instant improvement over the crappy Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakers I was (half) using before. The sub is massive, actually about the same size as my PC case   

They really do sound amazing, they can go very loud indeed, and pick up all those higher frequency parts my previous speakers were having so many problems with. They have an excellent "remote" control unit, that's actually wired into the sub, but it's got a volume setting and a power button, so you can quickly mute if you need to.

I must say, I'm very impressed. Although having never owned a pair of really nice speakers before, I am unable to say how they compare to others out there. But I am really glad I bought them.
"There is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan."
- Worth, Cube (1997)

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #23
I was going to buy some cheap speakers and an amp - but $100( about 60ukp for me) really won't get you much, unless you go second hand. You get what you pay for...

I just went out and bought a pair of active (each has a built in 150+75 watt amp) studio monitors - Behringer TRUTH B2031 - 300ukp brand new. Amazing sound for the price. Recommended, although you do need a mixing desk or some other way of controlling the volume.

Does anyone else have any opinions on the Behringers?

Sub-$100 Speakers

Reply #24
What do you think about the Philips A3.350? I'd like to buy a 2.1 sound system but I don't have too much money, and the Altec 2100 costs about 130 €. I think Altec 621 costs too much more. And what about the Hcules product?
Il valore di un uomo, per la comunità in cui vive, dipende anzitutto dalla misura in cui i suoi sentimenti, i suoi pensieri e le sue azioni contribuiscono allo sviluppo dell'esistenza degli altri individui.

A. Einstein in "Come io vedo il mondo"