Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adaptive double-blind listening tests? (Read 3701 times) previous topic - next topic

Adaptive double-blind listening tests?

When I was into this stuff, I remember reading about som kind of "ladder" tests for detecting listener thresholds for audio degradation that are supposedlyd monotonic and gradual, such as decreasing the bitrate of a lossy codec.

The approach was to start out with the "simple" (large degradation), then serve the listener "harder" (less degradation) samples as long as he/she was able to distinguish them. When an error was made, the system would step back 2-3 levels and continue from there.

This way, the test would (hopefully) "home in" in the area of just noticable differences, and give as much data as possible in this range, in stead of wasting valuable test-time for samples that was dead-easy or imposible to distinguish for the particular person under test.

Is this a test on its own or simply a way of organising ABX-tests?

I tried to google this but found nothing. Anyone recognize it?

regards
k

edit:
Either the "backtracking" amount or the "X" et each quality-level would have to be variable, if not, the listener could possibily hear that the "detectable" sample was introduced, and figure out the system.