Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Another Free CDDA Ripper "cloned" (Read 5987 times) previous topic - next topic

Another Free CDDA Ripper "cloned"

There is a free Audio Extractor called CD-DA Xtractor,
wich source code is avaliable at sourceforge...
Its a simple, but good ripper.
http://xtractor.sourceforge.net/

The "clone" is CD Ripper 2002 v2.0(shareware-US$19.95).
(minor changes on the button bar, but if you disable high-color,
it turns identical to X-Tractor)!
They've also included a startup screen asking for registration.
http://www.cannysoft.com/mp3_ripper/mp3_ripper.htm

LIF
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #1
Damn, this one is even worse than NeoAudio.

Reply #2
Now I know very little about the GPL, but doesn't it say:
- if you create a product that uses gpl'ed code then you must release your product under gpl, too

- you may not charge money for the product (at least not more than it costs you to transfer the software to the recipient)

If so then this could become interesting.:naughty:

Reply #3
If they don't manage to "sue their asses off", then there's going to be a fundamental change in how "we" (at least I) perceive GPL licences... What's the point of developing software using different "open" licences just to get your work stolen and sold by others...? I'd feel ripped off and angry as hell... I sure as hell hope this trend doesn't continue...

Reply #4
Originally posted by Gecko
- you may not charge money for the product (at least not more than it costs you to transfer the software to the recipient)
No, the GPL says the exact opposite - you are explicitly permitted to charge as much money as you want for the product.  What you may not do is charge extra for the source code -- it must either be included with the product, or be available separately for no more than a reasonable cost for media.  But it's perfectly legal to charge $50,000 for your product, that includes both binaries and source code, and refuse to provide either the binaries or source code to anyone who has not paid your fee.  The GPL is only violated if you distribute the binaries to someone and then refuse to provide that same person with the source code.

Reply #5
Does anybody here remember "Audio Go-Go"? It was a ripping program bundled with the Go-Go 2.39 encoder (a speed-otimized version of an older Lame encoder). Well, this thing almost looked exactly like Audiograbber, down to the signature "fist" symbol and the layout/etc. One day, the link for it just disappeared like a fart in the wind....wonder why?  I was under the impression that Audiograbber was not a free program, so this may be yet another example of a "ripped" ripper.

Reply #6
Originally posted by Cygnus X1
Does anybody here remember "Audio Go-Go"?

Yes, and it's alive and kicking:

http://strony.wp.pl/wp/interdarekb/english/

It was a ripping program bundled with the Go-Go 2.39 encoder

Wrong. Gogo is bundled with AudioGogo, and not the inverse.

The official GoGo 2.39 distribution was bundled with WinGogo, that is merely a frontend for gogo.dll.  It only encoded Wavs to MP3 and, as an extra, added ID3v1 tags. No ripping capabilities.

so this may be yet another example of a "ripped" ripper.

I don't think so. I would believe Dariusz Baumann (AudioGoGo author) only stole the graphics. The configuration options, etc. are different from audiograbber's.

Regards;

Roberto.

Edit: BTW, it's worth mentioning that Mr. Jackie Franck (AudioGrabber author)'s name is mentioned in AudioGoGo's acknowledgements.

Reply #7
Ok, I stand corrected

Reply #8
Someone should compare the compiles and see if it's indeed based on the same source. Shouldn't take too long.

Reply #9
There is trouble with the trees
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #10
Originally posted by eloj
Someone should compare the compiles and see if it's indeed based on the same source. Shouldn't take too long.

You would need to know the compiler (VC5 ~ 7, ICL 4.5 ~ 6, MinGW, Cygnus, Borland... , to mention the most widely used). Of course, my first shot would be for VC6.

Reply #11
Gha! What's with the UPX on xtractor.exe?

Don't have time to unwrap this thing.

Reply #12
Originally posted by dreamliner77
There is trouble with the trees

Ya, I heard that the maples are screaming "oppression!" and the oaks just ignore thier pleas

Reply #13
It's a VC compile. Not sure what version.

Running it through IDA, but I think we can be pretty sure this is a MAJOR violation of the GPL because the "cdripper.exe" contains some string references, for instance to "vorb_enc.dll" and "bladeenc.dll" even though no such DLLs are provided.

More incriminating is the 'xtenc.dll' which is clearly GPLed in the original source, but is also clearly included in "CD-Ripper 2002", which is not.

The installer contains a pretty typical EULA, including the humorous:

"3.    DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS.
[...]
* Maintenance of Copyright Notices. You must not remove or alter any copyright notices on all copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
[...]"

You'll see the imports in "CdRipper.exe" being the exact same as in the GPLed interface file "xtenc.h" included with the original source.

.idata:004163A0 ; Imports from xtenc.dll
.idata:004163A0 ;
.idata:004163A0                extrn __imp_xtGetExtension:dword
.idata:004163A0                                        ; DATA XREF: xtGetExtension
.idata:004163A4                extrn __imp_xtSetIntOption:dword
.idata:004163A4                                        ; DATA XREF: xtSetIntOption
.idata:004163A8                extrn __imp_xtSetAsciiOption:dword
.idata:004163A8                                        ; DATA XREF: xtSetAsciiOption
.idata:004163AC                extrn __imp_xtEncoderAvail:dword
.idata:004163AC                                        ; DATA XREF: xtEncoderAvail
.idata:004163B0                extrn __imp_xtGetFilename:dword ; DATA XREF: xtGetFilename
.idata:004163B4                extrn __imp_xtFlush:dword ; DATA XREF: xtFlush
.idata:004163B8                extrn __imp_xtEncode:dword ; DATA XREF: xtEncode
.idata:004163BC                extrn __imp_xtOpenOutputFile:dword
.idata:004163BC                                        ; DATA XREF: xtOpenOutputFile
.idata:004163C0                extrn __imp_xtInit:dword ; DATA XREF: xtInit
.idata:004163C4                extrn __imp_xtGetEncoder:dword ; DATA XREF: xtGetEncoder
.idata:004163C8                extrn __imp_xtClose:dword ; DATA XREF: xtClose

.. and again the DLL is full of references to encoder DLLs not included in the derivative.

Reply #14
I've FYI'ed rms about this thread, and requested the source code from sales@cannysoft.com.

Reply #15
I've got a hatchet and an ax.  You got a saw?

"It's not the hate, it's the inhumanity."
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #16
I'm the author of CD-DA X-Tractor, and can verify that it is definitely compiled from my GPL'ed source code.  I'd like to thank the people here for noticing, and for getting word to me via email.

As the situation progresses, I'll post more info.

-Andy Key