Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Please advise something (Read 6446 times) previous topic - next topic

Please advise something

I tried to found some binaries of one interesting project but no success.
Seems that I need to compile sources by myself but here is the problem:
I'm totaly lame to programming so help me please !
I need some simple,little and easy to learn C compiler.
Thanx in advance.

Please advise something

Reply #1
Hi,
If you're a beginner may I suggest you don't start with C.  Try to get Quickbasic 4.5 (seems abandonware.. see google?) or maybe the Java JDK for starters.

QB4.5 is a very good development environment, all integrated, and you can make (dos) EXE files - you'll be very proud of your 1st graphic experiments, believe me 

Edit:

I have nothing against C, of course. It's just a bit too rough and razorsharp (=> frustating) as a first language, IMHO.  Think about C as a powerful language, for tough black-belt S.O.A.B infuriated ruthless bastards - like you in a few months  B)

A quite good development environment for C/C++ is microsoft's visual studio.

Oh, and try to avoid Visual Basic if possible - unless you want to waste your soul (and 99.9% of your pc's power) for nothing, or to do web development of course 

Please advise something

Reply #2
You can use Dev-cpp ( http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html ). It's freeware and use MinGW (a win32 port of gcc).
Most part of free projects are easily compiled with MinGW.

Please advise something

Reply #3
If you want to learn C, it can be a little bit tough if you have no experience at all in programming. I suggest to start with Pascal, which is also a structured languaje, but is also a more learning oriented lenguaje. If you go this route, try to get an old Turbo Pascal or Borland Pascal compiler. If you have problems getting a pascal compiler or putting it to work, you can try also QuickBasic, as suggested.

Or go the "typical" route of self-learning programmers: first QBasic, then Pascal, and then C.

Please advise something

Reply #4
Visual C++ 2003 and a good "Visual C++ 2003 in 21 days" book.
Basic and Pascal may be easy to learn, but I couldnt find a BASIC port of LAME, ogg or any other interestng stuff

Please advise something

Reply #5
I like visual studio 6 + sp5 + the Intel Compiler.

Please advise something

Reply #6
For ****'s sake, read his post. He doesn't want to learn the C/C++ programming language, he just wants to learn how to compile a project.

EDIT: @Skymmer: try using Dev-cpp as suggested in a previous post.

Please advise something

Reply #7
COBOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please advise something

Reply #8
For ****'s sake, read his post. He doesn't want to learn the C/C++ programming language, he just wants to learn how to compile a project.

EDIT: @Skymmer: try using Dev-cpp as suggested in a previous post.

So.  You don't have to know how to program, my programming skills aren't that great and I still managed to figure it out myself so it really couldn't be that difficult.  The only reason I said I *liked* this was because this produces very fast builds on my machine, note that I said I *liked* this method I never necessarily told the poster to do this.  I didn't necessarily want to program C/C++ when I was first compiling stuff but now that I have been doing this a little I do want to learn I got myself a couple books and I hope to start learning it very soon.  Anyway back on topic, Dev-cpp is good too, I've used it a bit too, I'm sure that will be fine for Skymmer purpose.

Please advise something

Reply #9
Microsoft Visual C/C++ is a good/easy compiler to use with high compatibility, but it is not free, nor is it cheap. Intel's C++ compiler is free for 30 days, and it makes very fast binarys, but it is command line based unless you integrate it with MS Visual C++. Your best bet might be to try Dev-cpp. This was the first compiler that I ever used, and it worked alright for what I needed to do at the time. Good luck!

PS - Borland also makes a command like based C++ compiler, but it never really worked for me. You can try it if you feel the need, though.

Please advise something

Reply #10
The MinGW compiler is pretty good.

Please advise something

Reply #11
I think the Visual C++ 6.0 compiler is too complicated for beginners.  Some of the recent Rapid Applications development tools like Visual Cafe (for Java) is so simple to use that you almost do not need to touch the internal codes.. It amazes me nowadays at the degree of design automations. I started with fortran77 and progressed into Pascal, C and assembly language. When I first tried out Visual Programming, I am amazed with the ease of writing an application program!

Please advise something

Reply #12
Visual C++ is in no way complicated for beginners.
Just double click on the .vcproj or .sln file the of the source code and press compile. How hard can that be...

Please advise something

Reply #13
You're assuming what he wants to compile has MSVC project files.

That's the easiest case. The are also cases that involve renaming all source files, manually creating a project and setting all include and library dirs, fixing some actual things in the source code for compatibility, and replacing all assembly code by a format that the compiler you use can understand.

I think that can be rather hard.

Please advise something

Reply #14
For C stuff you can use LCC-Win32, it's a free c-compiler + related tools.

For those who want to learn coding in/with Pascal there's Free Pascal (crossplatform!). One day I'll start learning to code with it myself