IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Use of multiple identical vorbis tags
pacifist
post Mar 25 2014, 21:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 115151

Hello. I was wondering if there was some way to use foobar2000 to have multiple identical Vorbis tags?

Well, that's not quite the best way to explain it, I think. As I understand it, you are allowed to have more than one of the same Vorbis tag. So you could have two COMMENT tags.

Foobar2000 doesn't seem to allow this, as if you try to add an extra tag of the same name, it asks if you want to overwrite the existing one - you can't have two of the same.

Purpose? Well, say for instance you have several albums by an artist, along with a greatest hits album. The greatest hits album would contain tracks which also occur on the albums. Ideally, you could tag the track so that it appears in two locations.

For example, say I have the song "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. I would like to have the tags read something like this:

ARTIST=Queen
ALBUM=A Night At The Opera
YEAR=1975
TRACK=11
ALBUM=Greatest Hits
YEAR=1981
TRACK=1

Then, hopefully, if I filtered for "Bohemian Rhapsody" in Foobar2000, the track would appear twice, once on the album and once on the Greatest Hits. The only way to do this at present is to have two actual copies of the file on my hard drive - junction points or symbolic links wouldn't work as the files would be identical right down to the tags. This way, you'd have one copy of the audio data, but two sets of metadata so it appears twice in the media library

Does anybody know if such a thing would be possible? I don't think there's anything in the Vorbis specification which says you can't have two tags of the same description, but I don't know how this would be implemented in Foobar2000 - even if it were, how would it know which TRACK went with which ALBUM?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BenB
post Mar 25 2014, 22:20
Post #2

Member No.: 98921

Technically it could be done, but having multiple album, track number and year tags in your files would be a sorting debacle. The albums would be displayed jumbled because foobar wouldn't know which album tag corresponded to each track number tag and year tag.

Normally what most do, assuming for example the tracks were ripped from the Greatest Hits album, is something like this:

ARTIST=Queen
ALBUM=Greatest Hits
YEAR=1981
TRACK=1
ORIGINAL ALBUM=A Night At The Opera
ORIGINAL YEAR=1975

I don't know of anyone who tags an "ORIGINAL TRACK" but you could do so if you wanted to.

EDIT:

I misread the above post. Please disregard my stupidity.

This post has been edited by BenB: Mar 25 2014, 22:48
+Quote Post
db1989
post Mar 25 2014, 22:30
Post #3

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

QUOTE (pacifist @ Mar 25 2014, 20:40) *
Then, hopefully, if I filtered for "Bohemian Rhapsody" in Foobar2000, the track would appear twice, once on the album and once on the Greatest Hits. The only way to do this at present is to have two actual copies of the file on my hard drive - junction points or symbolic links wouldn't work as the files would be identical right down to the tags. This way, you'd have one copy of the audio data, but two sets of metadata so it appears twice in the media library
Try m-TAGS
+Quote Post
BenB
post Mar 25 2014, 22:38
Post #4

Member No.: 98921

EDIT:

Never mind. It could be done with m-TAGS. I'll shut up now, lol.

This post has been edited by BenB: Mar 25 2014, 22:45
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Mar 26 2014, 10:46
Post #5

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

When the "same" track appears on different CDs, is often sounds different, and almost always is different. Culling these duplicates is an idea that occurs to most people at some point, but IMO it's a bad idea. It adds complexity and work, only saves an irrelevant amount of space, and potentially removes the best sounding version from your library.

But it's up to you wink.gif

Cheers,
David.
+Quote Post
db1989
post Mar 26 2014, 20:03
Post #6

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

OP wants multiple sets of tags for one physical file a.k.a. one version
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Mar 27 2014, 00:05
Post #7

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

I read it as saying the OP needed that because they'd already culled duplicates.

I guess you could also face it when trying to create a greatest hits compilation (that you didn't actually have) from regular albums (that you did). That's just a playlist though. (might need ReplayGain to sort out level differences if the artist's career / mastering ranges across different loudness levels; might still sound hopeless if the EQ or some other issue is very different on the different original releases.)

Cheers,
David.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 00:46