Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mac built-in sound (versus add-on cards) (Read 4343 times) previous topic - next topic

Mac built-in sound (versus add-on cards)

my question: What is the quality of "analog to digital" conversion by the built-in audio card on an old G4 Mac? Are there any tests that compare the conversion quality using the built-in sound and add-on sound cards? Are there tests that are technical (showing frequency response,...) or  aesthetic (people with "good ears for music" listening and comparing in blind tests)?

why I'm wondering: I have a G4 (AGP, 400 MHz, bought May 2000) and I've been using it to archive old cassette tapes, converting them from analog to digital using the Mac's built-in 16-bit sound, using a Monster cable (RCA to minijack) to connect from the tape deck to computer.

my experience: Before I started archiving a previous set of tapes, someone teaching a "how to do it" class (who worked with PCs not Macs) said "you have to get an expensive sound card because the built-in will be very bad" and you'll get rumble, hiss, distortion,... But none of this happened with the Mac's built-in card, and there are no obvious artifacts. I'm wondering about the quality, though, at a higher level. I'm a semi-audiophile, not demanding "the best," but higher quality is definitely preferable.  Would I get higher quality with an external sound card? If so, in what ways would it be better? And with which sound cards, in a reasonable price range?

MikeR