Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wireless stage IEM monitor (Read 2458 times) previous topic - next topic

Wireless stage IEM monitor

It's a long shot but in the hope that someone might have insight...

I'm shopping around for wireless IEM system to use with my Etymotic ER4. Basically it's a UHF audio transmitter and reciever with integrated headphone amp for stage use. So far I've looked at Sennheiser and Nady units and noted none of them list output impedance. Anyone have experiences or recommendations?

Reply #1
and noted none of them list output impedance.
Impedance shouldn't be an issue.  The impedance of the amplifier/electronics just needs to be lower than the IEM's impedance.  If they don't specify it, I would assume it's low-enough to work with any standard IEMs.  It's really not hard or expensive to build something with very-low internal-output impedance.

And the specs can be confusing...  The actual internal source-impedance might be 1 Ohm or so, but it might be "rated" at 16 or 32 Ohms (to be used with 16 or 32 Ohm, or higher, IEMs.)

Probably the most important thing is how well it works in the real world on-stage, and you might not be able to determine that from the specs.    So, you might consider renting before you buy.

Reply #2
It's a long shot but in the hope that someone might have insight...

I'm shopping around for wireless IEM system to use with my Etymotic ER4. Basically it's a UHF audio transmitter and reciever with integrated headphone amp for stage use. So far I've looked at Sennheiser and Nady units and noted none of them list output impedance. Anyone have experiences or recommendations?

Wireless monitors are basically just wireless microphones turned around. Instead of a portable transmitter, you have a portable receiver.  However while wireless microphones can benefit from diversity reception, the size of wireless monitor receivers seems to inhibit the use of this effective technology for obtaining reliable reception.

The end result of high source impedances in headphone drivers is additional variations in frequency response. Wireless monitors are often used in circumstances where equalization is available and applied before the transmitter to obtain the desired timbre for the performer/listener.  Therefore, the kind of precision we demand and often obtain with our portable digital players is either obtained by adjustments in the area or internal to the mixing console.

Therefore few if anybody bothers to specify source impedances.

IME Nady does not have a particularly good reputation for anything but low price. Sennheiser has an excellent reputation for providing well-engineered, well-constructed equipment.