Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pops, Clicks, Stuttering, Help? (Read 3045 times) previous topic - next topic

Pops, Clicks, Stuttering, Help?

I'm being haunted by gremlins in my computer that cause pops and clicks and occasional "stuttering," where the music pauses for a brief second before continuing.

This happens to both my Gadget Labs 424 (PCI) and my Roland UA-30 (USB).  There are no IRQ conflicts, the HDD is defragmented and running on DMA.  Bufferlength (for either DirectSound or waveOut) in Foobar2000 makes no difference on either card.  ACPI is disabled.

The problem seems connected in some way to the HDD; sometimes, when loading a webpage while playing an audiofile, I can create the stuttering error, and sometimes the pop, and sometimes nothing at all.  However, closing all programs (excluding whatever background crap Win2000 is running) does nothing to reduce the incidence.

Help???  Something is interfering in some way or another.  Any clues?

Reply #2
Sadly, no.  Abit BE6-II with Intel 440BX chipset.

Reply #3
"ACPI is disabled"

Maybe you should enable it (first, flash the BIOS to the newest version you can find). Then Windows takes care of IRQ assignments. You should also try to put your cards into different PCI slots.

Reply #4
"ACPI is disabled"

Maybe you should enable it (first, flash the BIOS to the newest version you can find). Then Windows takes care of IRQ assignments. You should also try to put your cards into different PCI slots.

Two problems with that:

1) The Gadget Labs won't work like that, given how the company went out of business before completing their WDM driver.  Sucks.  Next card will likely be the M-Audio Revolution (coupled with Alesis 5.1 ProActive  B) ), but I don't need it quite yet.

2) Already tried it with the UA-30 (USB) alone.  Moving the PCI card around didn't seem to do much either.

I've heard of people having problems re: HD seeking.  Anyone had a similar problem?

Reply #5
Try messing with the PCI latency in your BIOS (If you have this setting) It should be set by default to 32 clocks, but setting it to 0 or 64 might help out a lot (try 0 first.) Also, are you using a HD controler card, or are you using the IDE ports built into your motherboard? HD controler cards can cause problems with sound cards (My promise card caused my SB-Live / KT266A combo to go psycho, even though they were on different IRQs....)