Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Question about DVD & Blu Ray drives
Ryan Woloshen
post May 15 2010, 20:49
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75617

I have read reviews for years about how DVD/Blu Ray players produce better quality picture than others. I wanted to know why this would be, and if optical drives experience the same thing? Also, do the connections you make matter between HDMI, Firewire or USB? Your time would be apreciated.

This post has been edited by Ryan Woloshen: May 15 2010, 20:51
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
moozooh
post May 15 2010, 21:32
Post #2

Member No.: 17192

QUOTE (Ryan Woloshen @ May 15 2010, 23:49) *
I have read reviews for years about how DVD/Blu Ray players produce better quality picture than others.

What would "others" be in this context? Can you give an example of such claim?
In regards to connection interfaces, there is no practical difference between USB and Firewire; unlike them HDMI isn't used as a general purpose interface, it's used to connect devices with digital video/audio output directly to something that plays back said video/audio (i.e., an HDTV set).

--------------------
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 
+Quote Post
Ryan Woloshen
post May 15 2010, 22:57
Post #3

Member No.: 75617

By "others", I mean other DVD/Blu Ray players, as in, one DVD player produces a better picture than another DVD player. (Same thing can be applied to Blu Ray players.)
+Quote Post
moozooh
post May 15 2010, 23:30
Post #4

Member No.: 17192

Those should all be taken with a grain of salt. Visual quality may differ due to upscaling or post-processing chips/algorithms used, but the actual video transfer quality, compression quality, and your output device (the TV) matter a lot more than any of that. Which means, you should either test the devices you've chosen on the same TV/monitor and see if you can quickly spot the difference before you make the purchase, or think about maximizing quality by other means first: getting discs produced by respected transfer studios, getting a better TV, etc..

This post has been edited by moozooh: May 15 2010, 23:48

--------------------
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:30