Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lyrics don't appear in iTunes (Read 6467 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics don't appear in iTunes

i have a question about lyrics. after adding lyrics in foobar they dont appear in itunes, iam guessing theres a reason  for this but is there anyway around it?

Reply #1
For iTunes lyrics have to be stored in UNSYNCED LYRICS tag (for mp3) and LYRICS tag for m4a.

Reply #2
ok so how do i do that? when i open the properties panel there is no lyrics section until i add them from the lyrics plugin.

so what iam saying is i dont even know how to put a lyrics section in the properties box let alone an unsynced lyrics section.

iam guessing i need to go to options/advanced/display/properties dialog?

even if iam right i still dont know exactly how it should be added or if iam going to type it the right way!! what really confuses me is it allready say lyrics in there???

Reply #3
even if iam right i still dont know exactly how it should be added or if iam going to type it the right way!! what really confuses me is it allready say lyrics in there???

The straightforward way is to
  • Mark a file
  • Open its properties dialog
  • Click on "Tools", select "Add New Field"
  • Enter the name "UNSYNCED LYRICS" and the desired value
The clue is that foobar allows you to define any attribute name you like. In this special case (UNSYNCED LYRICS), you create an attribute that is linked to an ID3 tag that is then read by iTunes.

If you don't want to always add the attribute name manually, go to: "Preferences > Advanced > Display + Properties dialog" and add the attribute to the list of "Standard fields" like this:
Code: [Select]
...;Lyrics=UNSYNCED LYRICS;...

To get a multiline textbox when activating the attribute in the properties dialog, add the attribute name to the list of "Multiline fields". Then the attribute is listed nicely among the other default field names.

Just to clarify: the same procedure can be used to introduce your own, custom attribute named "BLUB" which then is nicely displayed in the properties file dialog and can be accessed using %blub% through title formatting from anywhere else (playlists, facets, ...)

Edit: Corrected "unsynced". Sorry for that.

Reply #4
ok i tried what you said and still no luck! the only bit iam a little unsure of is

"create an attribute that is linked to an ID3 tag that is then read by iTunes."

any ideas where i might be going wrong?

ive added the UNSYNCHED LYRICS part and added lyrics to it but itunes still doesnt have the lyrics!

Reply #6
ah thank you a dumb mistake by me and now it works thank you very much.

one more question though when i get the lyrics from the database it shows up in the lyrics section in properties but doesnt show in the unsynced lyrics section.  is there a way to get it to appear in both without having to copy and paste from one to the other, is there an easier way to do this?

thanks for all the help so far

Reply #7
Set up your lyrics component to write it to the unsynced lyrics field. Don't know which lyrics component you are using, but the ones I know let you customize the field they write to.

For all the lyrics you have, select all songs with lyrics (use: %lyrics% PRESENT in foobar's searchfield).

Then select them all, rightclick, choose properties, choose automatically fill values from the toolssection, and fill %lyrics% as source, and write %unsynced lyrics% as pattern. Then press ok and apply the tags.

This should work.

Reply #8
wow ok that worked perfectly thank you so much.

Iam wondering which other lyric components your talking about that let you customize where they write too?

thanks again

also a quick question just discovered you can get a plugin to show timestamped lyrics but you need columns ui for it to work. is there a plugin that can do this without needing columns ui?

Reply #9
Lyricsgrabber by TP Wang. It's great. It's not an active plugin, so you need to run it manually (which I prefer). You can select your whole library, run this plugin, come back after tea and a cookie and update your tags. You can customize the field it writes too in the contextmenu of this plugin.

You can't get synced lyrics in default UI, the only plugin supporting the display in default ui is text display, and that's a static display.

(imho synced lyrics is a function for people that are so lazy they won't even move their eyes from left to right and top to bottom OR for karaoke lovers of course).

Reply #10
Hmm thanks i installed Lyricsgrabber and its working fine, i changed where it wrote lyrics in the config to unsynced lyrics and it works fine.

but is there a way to write in the config so that it writes lyrics to both lyrics fields?

if there isnt i guess i can just update lyrics then do as you segested in your previous post thanks again for your time