Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [request] General Auto Sort (Read 3008 times) previous topic - next topic

[request] General Auto Sort

The facets plugin or the "sort by field..." window in foo_utils give an option to ignore "the" - on the other side in album list you have to do the job in the old way and you will see the article after artists name.

Couldn't we have a general setting for that as part of the DefaultUI so that every plugin can look there to see how to sort? In that context it would be useful to define all - what should be ignored - in a comma seperated list: Don't forget other languages and their articles (der,die,das,la,las,el,los ...) or other things that could be ignored ("Dj" as prefix f.e.). I am not sure if it is a good idea to restrict that auto sort to special fields (artist, album artist, ...) instead of being applied to every field.

Reply #1
The facets plugin or the "sort by field..." window in foo_utils give an option to ignore "the" - on the other side in album list you have to do the job in the old way and you will see the article after artists name.

Couldn't we have a general setting for that as part of the DefaultUI so that every plugin can look there to see how to sort? In that context it would be useful to define all - what should be ignored - in a comma seperated list: Don't forget other languages and their articles (der,die,das,la,las,el,los ...) or other things that could be ignored ("Dj" as prefix f.e.). I am not sure if it is a good idea to restrict that auto sort to special fields (artist, album artist, ...) instead of being applied to every field.

I second that. I had already asked for it in the Facets thread, with no real success for the moment. Maybe it should be a part of DefaultUI.

Reply #3

I expect this to be part of the foobar2000 core sooner or later; at least Peter seemed to like the idea.

Reply #4
Thanks foosion.  And please tell Peter not to forget about this part :

Don't forget other languages and their articles (der,die,das,la,las,el,los ...) or other things that could be ignored ("Dj" as prefix f.e.).

The best thing would be to make this fully user-editable (imagine a very simple editable field in the prefs with all the articles separated by commas : "the,der,die,das,la,las,el,los,le,les", etc.).