Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: General inquiry about foobar (Read 1932 times) previous topic - next topic

General inquiry about foobar

Hi, first off, I would like to say... I'm a newbie!  I'm new to foobar2000
I'm a long time winamp user who decide to seek something a bit different

so far, I love foobar, it's a great player, not bulk, lovely interface, simple, clean... and not a resource hogger.

However, I have some questions...

Does foobar have a"Systray Agent support" like in winamp? I know that foobar has systray display, but does it have an actually agent?

Does foobar have a "Jump into track" feature like in winamp? In winamp, pressing "J" would take me to jump into playlist track.. bla bla bla... I tried pressing F3 in foobar, but the list is empty

Now, I'm assuming those can be found under components, but since I'm new.. please spare your kind heart to point me out where, or what the components are, or simply give answers to my questions

any help would be greatly appriciated.

Reply #1
There is no SystemTrayAgent. If you want to keep file associations to foobar2000, run the executable that comes with the installer to keep associations. If your F3 search is empty, it means your playlist is empty (F3 is playlist search only by default). Look for a database search compnent, and there are a few out there. Set the database to on and if you're files are properly tagged, you'll see a nice clean interface for searching and jumping to files. Look at the plugin website for the database search plugins/components. You can even make the hotkey the 'J' key to make it like Winamp.

Reply #2
However, I have some questions...

Does foobar have a"Systray Agent support" like in winamp? I know that foobar has systray display, but does it have an actually agent?

Does foobar have a "Jump into track" feature like in winamp? In winamp, pressing "J" would take me to jump into playlist track.. bla bla bla... I tried pressing F3 in foobar, but the list is empty

There is no such thing as the Winamp Agent in Foobar.  Personally I never really liked that thing anyway, but thats quite a personal preference I guess.

Best thing is probably not to install any evil Software that constantly tries to steal your file assotiations.    Should they however still get highjacked, you can always use fooassoc.exe in your foobar folder to easily get them back. (guess you could place a shortcut on your desktop in case you need it a lot)

Playlist search should actually work just fine (that is in case you are not using any kind of exotic formatting strings (ie, album based).  Simply type what you are looking for in the search field and the entries should start showing up.  Doubleclick should start playing them.

By the way Winamp (2.9x that is) also does not use that many resources.  But of course there are many other advantages using Foobar

Reply #3
As far as a systray agent goes, I'm sure the foobar2000 tray icon and program take up less than the winampAgent did, so no worries about keeping it open, if thats your issue