Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I create an Auto Playlist? (Read 36267 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I create an Auto Playlist?

How do I create an Auto Playlist? I looked around but haven't seen any answers.

I can create new playlists, but I don't see anywhere to create an auto playlist.
I have a "Recently Added" auto playlist, but when I copy it the copy is a normal playlist.
The playlist manager won't let me create them there either...

I'm using Columns UI if that's relevant.

Thanks!

Reply #1
Problem solved: Auto Playlists are created from
Code: [Select]
Library -> Album List -> (right click an album) -> Create Autoplaylist

How convoluted!

Reply #2
Autoplaylists are queries. A simple method to build a query is what you describe. Once you have a query result, the context menu is one click and selecting autoplaylist is one click.  In your opinion, what part of the two clicks = convoluted!

You can also build autoplaylists from simple to complex search strings. However, to inform foobar2000 that you would like the search result to be an autoplaylist does require the user to push a button and a click on autoplaylist. Alas, once again foiled by the pesky two clicks

Reply #3
Problem solved: Auto Playlists are created from
Code: [Select]
Library -> Album List -> (right click an album) -> Create Autoplaylist

How convoluted!

Not sure why you want to create an autoplaylist from an entire album when you can just send the album to a regular playlist. 

It may seem convoluted at first but it is quite logical and the power/flexibility offered by the foobar2000 autoplaylist method really shines when you sort and filter the album list.

Do you want an autoplaylist of a particular artist? Sort the album list by artist, right the artist's name and create a simple unfiltered autoplaylist.

Adding filters really lets you fine tune. Say you want an autoplaylist of Rock that you added in the last two weeks; in the filter field enter:

%added% DURING LAST 2 WEEKS

Then sort the album list by genre, rick click Rock in the list and create the autoplaylist.

For all podcasts: genre IS podcast

Since you can sort/filter virtually any factor in your album list you can make an autoplaylist based on any criteria. This can even help to standardize the library.

For a list of all songs missing Replaygain track calculations: %replaygain_track_gain% MISSING

I use them to keep my tags as I want them. I prefer a filename convention of <disc number>-<track number>-<title>and most rips do not add a disc number so I have a playlist showing which tracks I have without a disc number with a filter:

%disc number% MISSING

So that I can masstag these to add a disc number, then use the file operations rename function to rename the files according to my standard. This comes in handy for music I purchase via Amazon or download from Magnatune.

Re: How do I create an Auto Playlist?

Reply #4
In Foobar2000 V2.0 or V2.1, the Autoplaylist isn't working the same way and I can't locate it now. Previously in V1.#, you'd do the following: Library -> Album List -> (right click an album) -> Create Autoplaylist  - great.

The right click no longer works in V2.#, so how do you do it now?

FYI - when I did the update from V1 to V2, the autoplaylist remained as a functioning script, keeping the already established Autoplaylists. I'm able to view and otherwise edit the Autoplaylist Properties as it worked previously.

Running the Online Troubleshooter produced no error messages.
dj

Re: How do I create an Auto Playlist?

Reply #5
Alternative: (Main menu) Library | Search | insert Query pattern | (right side) Three dots | Create Autoplaylist

In DUI's Album list Create Autoplaylist works here, in CUI's Album list panel not.