Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: command line usage of EAC? (Read 4308 times) previous topic - next topic

command line usage of EAC?

Is it possible to use EAC (or a competing product but I like EAC) via command line only?  I don't mean config of LAME settings via command line but actually calling EAC and ripping tracks from CD to mp3 from command line.  With my HTPC frontend i'd like it to be as simple as insert CD, press "Copy" or whatever on the remote, and EAC is auto-launched, looks up track info on freedb and auto-picks the best title match, and then rips/encodes the files to hard disk, i.e. do exactly what EAC does except without having to have any user interaction.  I've been looking for a list of command line switches for EAC but haven't had much luck.  The encoding doesn't have to be anything special, it's not that that i'm concerned with/having trouble with, but rather getting EAC to work from the command line.  Even better would be a guide to command line use of EAC, but if someone can provide a link to the command line switches that would be more than enough to help alot.

Reply #1
Is it possible to use EAC (or a competing product but I like EAC) via command line only? I don't mean config of LAME settings via command line but actually calling EAC and ripping tracks from CD to mp3 from command line. With my HTPC frontend i'd like it to be as simple as insert CD, press "Copy" or whatever on the remote, and EAC is auto-launched, looks up track info on freedb and auto-picks the best title match, and then rips/encodes the files to hard disk, i.e. do exactly what EAC does except without having to have any user interaction. I've been looking for a list of command line switches for EAC but haven't had much luck. The encoding doesn't have to be anything special, it's not that that i'm concerned with/having trouble with, but rather getting EAC to work from the command line. Even better would be a guide to command line use of EAC, but if someone can provide a link to the command line switches that would be more than enough to help alot.

It's called the wiki: (edit: sorry I just re-read the post ignore).

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame

or you can use CDex 1.60, which is much easier for the average Joe IMO. If folks around here didn't need that comfort of that bit-perfect rip we wouldn't be in this situation. 

I don't think it's possible to use EAC standalone command-line based.  It is with cdparanoia though. It's kind of like "half-assing" it if you ask me, but that's my opinion.  Half-GUI half-command line.
budding I.T professional

Reply #2
psm wrote:
>Is it possible to use EAC (or a competing product but I like EAC) via command line only?

It is not. What you want is cdda2wav.

Reply #3
Actually, it is possible, REACT has shown the way:  use AutoIT to automate EAC.  That's what I'm going to be working on this summer for another project.

-brendan

Reply #4
'or you can use CDex 1.60, which is much easier for the average Joe IMO.'

Sounds great but are there command line switches for CDex either?  That's actually what I started with but got sick of it for lack of documentation on command line stuff.  Quick check shows the sourceforge forum continues to be down for CDex.

Oh and incidentally running winXP, not linux; cdda2wav doesn't appear to have been ported to it.  Thanks for the replies though.

Reply #5
... Oh and incidentally running winXP, not linux; cdda2wav doesn't appear to have been ported to it.  Thanks for the replies though.

Sure it has. You were probably searching for it by name, but cdda2wav is actually a part of Jörg Schilling's CDRTools suite. Current win32 compiles are available here.

- M.

Reply #6
Aha.  Thanks M but I spent the afternoon learning on AutoIT and that seems to be capable of everything I need.  Thanks for all the help.

Reply #7
bhoar sez:
>Actually, it is possible, REACT has shown the way: use AutoIT to
>automate EAC.

That's scripting a GUI app, not command line usage. But since the OP found what he wanted, this is beyond the point. =)

Reply #8
bhoar sez:
>Actually, it is possible, REACT has shown the way: use AutoIT to
>automate EAC.

That's scripting a GUI app, not command line usage. But since the OP found what he wanted, this is beyond the point. =)

It can be used for CLI use on the console, if you modify the app type flag or use a wrapper, both of which are discussed in the AutoIT forums.  Just FYI.

-brendan