Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: More discussion about sneakily ad-laden file-hosting sites (Read 5313 times) previous topic - next topic

More discussion about sneakily ad-laden file-hosting sites

Hi,
I have many voice recordings that have a pretty bad quality, I would like to improve.
I actually know it is possible to significantly improve, since I heard such a sample, but I don't know how they did it.
I tried to play with many filters in GoldWave, but without success.
Someone's help would be much appreciated!
Below a link to a sample of such file.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wyo953
Thank you very much!
ML

Yet another download link that will not be used by many because one has to download and install software to use it.

Reply #1
Yet another download link that will not be used by many because one has to download and install software to use it.

I downloaded the 774 KiB MP3 file directly, without any special software.

Reply #2
Yes, indeed; it doesn't require any installation. It's a direct download. Completely harmless.
If there is another way of posting a file, please advise - I'd be happy to do it.

Thank you in advance for your willingness to try to help improving this audio.

Reply #3

I downloaded the 774 KiB MP3 file directly, without any special software.

Me too.

Arny, just click where it says  "Click here to start download from sendspace"

Reply #4
THey don't make it obvious that  you don't need their software.  You have to hover over each link until you find one that ends in the file name "audio.mp3"  That one is labeled "click here to download from sendspace" (as opposed to 3 others that say "download" and 2 that say "play")

The most prominent "download" and "play" buttons in the ad spaces, and give no clue who the advertiser is, or what virus/trojan/spamware  you will end up with.  You are clearly SUPPOSED to think that button will get you the file you came for.

Reply #5
It's a shame these download sites make you feel like you're doing some seedy deal in a dark alley with a loud drug dealer on every street corner in a bad part of the great city Internetopolis.

Reply #6
The most prominent "download" and "play" buttons in the ad spaces, and give no clue who the advertiser is, or what virus/trojan/spamware  you will end up with.  You are clearly SUPPOSED to think that button will get you the file you came for.

I run an adblocker, I guess that's why I didn't notice.

Reply #7
Rant:
Various sites are near impossible to navigate without ad blockers because of scam-ads that pretend to be a part of the web site ("download now") button.
Sadly my own sites are also guilty of this even though I try to manually ban the offending ads from being shown on my sites whenever I see them.
I don't know what Google's policy on such ads is, but their terms of service clearly say that it is forbidden for me to make the ads mimic some part of my website and bait users into clicking them - but what if the ads showing on my site that hosts software downloads show nothing but a big green "download" button?
.. should probably go back to text-only ads someday if this situation persists.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.