Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5.62 released with new Fraunhofer AAC codecs (Read 26350 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5.62 released with new Fraunhofer AAC codecs

Nullsft has just released Winamp 5.62, bundling Fraunhofer's AAC codecs.  New to this release is VBR encoding.

You can help the community evaluate the quality of this codec by participating in the hydrogenaudio 96kbps AAC Listening Test

Reply #1
Were CT AAC replaced by Fgh AAC because of quality issues or some other reasons?
keeping audio clear together - soundexpert.org

Reply #2
Excellent.

I've noticed the bitrate variation of VBR is very large per track. It's ok for me. 
More fine bitrate tuning will be great.

Reply #3
Just released v5.621. Same link as in first post.

-Security vulnerability fixes (x8)
-FhG AAC Encoder fixes
-ReplayGain fix (5.6x-specific)

Reply #4
I've noticed the bitrate variation of VBR is very large per track. It's ok for me. 
More fine bitrate tuning will be great.

Thanks for the report, Igor! A few weeks ago I modified the VBR encoder such that the variation is reduced a bit. I will provide some details once this new encoder version becomes publicly available.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #5
I meant more flexible option like Nero's  gradual -q  setting

Reply #6
I understand. Well, this is not really on our to-do list, but if there's enough interest, we could think about adding a VBR mode at ~160 kbps.

What do other AAC users think?

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #7
I cannot seem to get gapless playback working with AAC files on the full version of Winamp and Winamp Lite. I have tried gapless albums encoded with QuickTime at --tvbr 80, Nero AAC at -q 0.50 and FhG.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"