Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Popping" Sound At Track Start & Stop (Read 5036 times) previous topic - next topic

"Popping" Sound At Track Start & Stop

When I first start a new track, there is a static or pop type sound for a fraction of a second just before the track starts playing. Can also hear it when I stop a track. Using Behringer UCA202 as output device.

Reply #1
Do you use DirectSound, WASAPI or ASIO output? If one of the latter two, try the former.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
Do you use DirectSound, WASAPI or ASIO output? If one of the latter two, try the former.

My output options are: (1) DS: Realtek HD Audio Output, (2) DS: USB Audio CODEC,  (3) DS: Primary Sound Driver, and (4) Null Output. With Realtek, sound plays thru pc speakers, no sound with null, but popping sound with both primary sound driver and usb audio codec.

Reply #3
It can sound bit like an audiophile statement, but whenever I see name "Behringer" I expect problems like loud noise, strange clicks, malfunctioning out of the box or quickly after installation and configuration - this is what I know from practice with several devices from this brand (power mixers, USB mixers, one A/D device, feedback suppressors. Maybe it's just a Behringer drivers problem?

Reply #4
It can sound bit like an audiophile statement, but whenever I see name "Behringer" I expect problems like loud noise, strange clicks, malfunctioning out of the box or quickly after installation and configuration - this is what I know from practice with several devices from this brand (power mixers, USB mixers, one A/D device, feedback suppressors. Maybe it's just a Behringer drivers problem?

It certainly has to be the Behringer device or something related to it as I have a Tascam US 122MKII inteface and don't have the problem with it. It's not the Behringer driver as I did not install one. The UCA202 does not require a driver- Windows recognizes and mounts it.

Reply #5
double check your control panel > sound > speaker properties > advanced tab and make sure the default format is set to 16bit, 44100 Hz (or set it to the format you usually play).
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #6
double check your control panel > sound > speaker properties > advanced tab and make sure the default format is set to 16bit, 44100 Hz (or set it to the format you usually play).

I think this solved the same clicking issue I was experiencing, too. Thanks for the tip.

Does this prevent foobar2000 from playing 24bit files though? Although I realize there's much debate over whether the human ear can actually hear past a certain range.

Reply #7

I do not find any such setting in my advanced speaker tab.

Reply #8
Does this prevent foobar2000 from playing 24bit files though? Although I realize there's much debate over whether the human ear can actually hear past a certain range.

Use the WASAPI plugin if you want your output samplerate and bit depth to automatically match the input samplerate and bit depth. Just remember if you play a samplerate and\or bit depth your DAC doesn't support, you''ll get an error.

Reply #9

really? What OS are you using.

Reply #10

really? What OS are you using.

Win XP Pro SP3

Reply #11
ahh XP, sorry I can't help any further.