Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero AAC Codec Version 1.5.1.0 released (Read 143983 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero AAC Codec Version 1.5.1.0 released

Reply #75
Do you perhaps run out of free space at that point?

Reply #76
Do you perhaps run out of free space at that point?

Nope, I have terabytes of free space...

FYI I've transcoded my collection successfully with Nero 1.3.3.0 in the meantime.... still have ~200GB left over...

Reply #77
I just noticed a change with dBpowerAMP encoding after upgrading to Nero 1.5.3.  Before, with all versions of Nero, iTunes would display Nero AAC along with the version in the "Encoded with" area of the song information.  This held true even with Nero 1.5.1.0.  Now, with 1.5.3, iTunes will display "Encoded with: dBpoweramp Release 13.2".  It only does this with some albums though.  This never happened until I started using 1.5.3.  It seems like 10 out of 500 albums will display that instead of Nero AAC 1.5.3.0.  I can go back, re-encode my source ALAC files with dBpowerAMP and Nero 1.5.3.0, and iTunes will display the appropriate information (ie Encoded with Nero AAC 1.5.3.0).

Reply #78
Any news about the missing CDEC tag? Is it a problem of new Nero encoder or foobar2000 or both?

Reply #79
any chance of a 64bit verion build for linux? otherwise still an amazing program!

Also need to 64bit version. Very need this coder but can't run it under my 64bit Linux ((

Reply #80
Any news about the missing CDEC tag? Is it a problem of new Nero encoder or foobar2000 or both?

When I use nero 1.5.3 from the command line and look at the encoded MP4 files with a text editor, I see text like "cdec", "Nero AAC codec / 1.5.3.0", and "ndaudio 1.5.3.0 / -q my quality level". So probably not nero's fault.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #81
When I use nero 1.5.3 from the command line and look at the encoded MP4 files with a text editor, I see text like "cdec", "Nero AAC codec / 1.5.3.0", and "ndaudio 1.5.3.0 / -q my quality level". So probably not nero's fault.

Same here. Looks like foobar2000 is stripping the CDEC tag for some reason when tagging the file (but why does it do it with that version of the encoder and not with the previous ones?). I use a command-line encoder setting to get an m4a file, and the command line parameters are a standard "-q 0.5 -ignorelength -if - -of %d".

I also noticed that the files are slightly smaller than with version 1.3.3.0, with lower bitrates for the same quality settings. Nero seem to have removed the previous version--does anyone know where I could get it again?

Reply #82
So I have two FLAC files (they're FLAC files with cuesheets embedded) out of about 1500 that the Nero codec 1.5.3.0 fail on rather ungracefully.

I'm using Foobar2000 v1b6

I'm using the following string:  -q 0.50 -ignorelength -if - -of %d

Here's one of the errors I receive:

Code: [Select]
Source: "F:\FLAC_ARCHIVE\CoH (1999) Vox Tinnitus\36047604_16929.flac" / index: 2
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters) : "C:\tmp\CoH\(1999) Vox Tinnitus\01_02_Silence Is.m4a"
Additional information:
Encoder stream format: 44100Hz / 2ch / 16bps
Command line: "C:\audio\NeroAACCodec-1.5.1\win32\neroAacEnc.exe" -q 0.50 -ignorelength -if - -of "01_02_Silence Is.m4a"
Working folder: C:\tmp\CoH\(1999) Vox Tinnitus\

Here's the other one:
Code: [Select]
Source: "F:\FLAC_ARCHIVE\Attrition (2001) The Hand That Feeds - The Remixes\C90F670D_1803807.flac" / index: 4
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1 (0x00000001); please re-check parameters) : "C:\tmp\Attrition\(2001) The Hand That Feeds - The Remixes\1_04_Cosmetic C.m4a"
Additional information:
Encoder stream format: 44100Hz / 2ch / 16bps
Command line: "C:\audio\NeroAACCodec-1.5.1\win32\neroAacEnc.exe" -q 0.50 -ignorelength -if - -of "1_04_Cosmetic C.m4a"
Working folder: C:\tmp\Attrition\(2001) The Hand That Feeds - The Remixes\

so what it appears to be saying is that it's failing on index 2 (track 2) of this particular FLAC file. I can encode it in to FLAC, MP3, APE, OGG, whatever....
I only get the error on this index with the Nero AAC codec.

What's interesting is that once it fails on one index of the FLAC file, it fails on EVERY SUBSEQUENT ONE not only in the particular FLAC file but the rest of the files I'm trying to encode as well.

Since I can encode these files with any other encoder it's leading me to believe the problem is with the Nero AAC codec and not my FLAC files. I've verified their MD5 integrity, I'm sure they're valid.

In the interest of getting it fixed (and not piracy duh) if the Nero developers would like to have me PM them a link to each of my FLAC files so they may test
I will be happy to provide these files as-is. Lemme know if that's something you want.

UPDATE:

I just encoded these files with 1.3.3.0 and they worked fine as well.

Reply #83
Does any drop_like_style (flacdrop, oggdropxpd) frontend exist? or whatever nice?

Reply #85
Seems that there are at least 3 issues with 1.5.3.0 floating around:

1) SSE
2) Missing CDEC tags
3) Frozenspeed's failed FLAC conversions

That being so, I'm wondering whether another bugfix version is likely in the near future. I'd be a tiny bit annoyed to convert my whole FLAC collection and then find an updated Nero version the next day. 

Nevertheless, thanks again to the Nero guys for all their hard work.

Reply #86
Bug fixes won't affect quality of the files produced.*  It would just allow the encoder to work smoother under specific conditions.  There weren't any quality fixes between 1.5.1 and 1.5.3, they only fixed that SSE bug.  A -q0.5 file produced with either encoder is the exact same quality and will have the exact same bitrates.

*Edit: unless there is a encoder quality bug and, so far, nothing has come up for Nero 1.5.3 regarding a poor quality encoder bug that fails with certain non-killer samples.

Reply #87
Seems that there are at least 3 issues with 1.5.3.0 floating around:

1) SSE

Already fixed in the update from 1.5.1.0 -> 1.5.3.0.

2) Missing CDEC tags

This seems to be caused by foobar's tag editing, not by the AAC encoder.

3) Frozenspeed's failed FLAC conversions

Frozenspeed provided a sample to reproduce this. We will likely update the encoder again once this is fixed.

That being so, I'm wondering whether another bugfix version is likely in the near future. I'd be a tiny bit annoyed to convert my whole FLAC collection and then find an updated Nero version the next day. 

With regards to quality you will not have to worry about this, we will not do any quality related updates until the next major release. You'll only have to wait for the next bugfix update if you encounter the same problem as Frozenspeed during your conversion process.

Reply #88
New problem:

5g Ipod Nano. Encoded a bunch of files from flac/ape to .m4a nero aac 1.5.3 at 0.5  quality

John Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band" will not sync. Itunes says that the files use a bitrate that is not supported.

Reply #89
New problem:

5g Ipod Nano. Encoded a bunch of files from flac/ape to .m4a nero aac 1.5.3 at 0.5  quality

John Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band" will not sync. Itunes says that the files use a bitrate that is not supported.

Looking at it again, it's a sample rate problem. Apparently, somehow, it's not a 44hz file.

Reply #90
Hi all

from the changelog:
    - neroAacTag:
        - Support 3GPP tags

how to use that feature? There's no mention in the -help screen. I am hoping it can create tags recognizable by the PS3. (see [a href='index.php?showtopic=60156']here[/a])

Thank you

d.

Reply #91
Whether there are news about 64bit version for linux?
Thanks.

Reply #92
neroaactag 1.5.1.0
Writes iTunes tags by default, added switch to enable ND tags

and what would that switch be?
it's not mentioned in the -help and I can't find any info on it elsewhere.

Reply #93
neroaactag 1.5.1.0

It is listed in the help and it is -write-nd-covers.

Reply #94
neroaactag 1.5.1.0

It is listed in the help and it is -write-nd-covers.

nope, that doesn't do anything.. which kinda makes sense because I'm not adding any cover art.

no I still end up with the iTunSMPB tag.  what exactly is that for anyway?

Reply #95
no I still end up with the iTunSMPB tag.  what exactly is that for anyway?

For gapless playback.

Reply #96
Out of curiosity, what other methods for AAC/MP4 gapless playback exist?

For instance, what did Nero MP4 + fooobar use before this "iTunes" tag?

It would be safer if the info would be stored somewhere where a careless tag edit could not so easily destroy it. For example, the LAME Info Tag header in MP3 files isn't accessible in usual tag editors.

Until recently, I actually thought that sample accurate AAC/MP4 decoding was standardized, transparent, and automatic similarly like gapless Ogg Vorbis or Musepack decoding but apparently that is not the case.

EDIT

For instance, I often replace all tags in converted files by copying more complete tags from another set of files. If I use the "Tag Copy/Paste" feature in Mp3tag it removes the previous tags completely.

Reply #97

For instance, what did Nero MP4 + fooobar use before this "iTunes" tag?

The NeroDigital chapter list, which is still written.
We just also write iTunSMPB now to increase compatibility with more software/hardware players. Removing it will not hurt as long as your player supports the chapter list.

Reply #98

Until recently, I actually thought that sample accurate AAC/MP4 decoding was standardized, transparent, and automatic similarly like gapless Ogg Vorbis or Musepack decoding but apparently that is not the case.

Thanks, Alex B for asking this.  I am still a huge fan of Musepack (*ducking*) and Vorbis due to gapless playback being my most important requirement in a codec.

Nero is gapless on Apple's stuff, and foobar, but not Winamp or surprisingly even Rockbox (at least as of 1.3.3 Nero/Rockbox 3.3).  I asked Rockbox forums why it was gapless elsewhere and was told that there is gapless info written into the files, but that they did not know where, so they couldn't utilize that info for implementing gapless playback on Rockbox.

I haven't tried the newest Nero yet, but it looks like maybe things are improving there!

--Scott

Reply #99
Is there any news on an OS X release for the command line encoder? Right now I can run the windows version through wine but it's a bit silly. Is there any reason why the linux version wouldn't compile just fine on an OS X box? Nobody at the whole of Nero owns a Mac? What about Nero Maxx? you must have Macs!