Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for mp3 editor (Read 5886 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for mp3 editor

I need to edit some of my mp3 files (cutting and adding 2 seconds of digital silence to the end!)  Is this possible?

If it is  can anyone tell me how (which software)

Thanks

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #2
Well, I can't imagine why you would want to add silence to them, but anyway, you should check out mp3DirectCut and mp3Trim.

Thanks

I want to add silence to them because my mp3 player seems to want to cut off the last few seconds of all tracks as it tries loading the next track

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #3
I want to add silence to them because my mp3 player seems to want to cut off the last few seconds of all tracks as it tries loading the next track

Then get a better player 

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #4
Hi JEN. Gambit's suggestion is really your best option (what player are you using, anyway? NO player - anymore - should be cutting off the last few seconds of audio!), but if this is still the easiest solution for you to manage, you can accomplish it in the following manner:

1) Create a 2+ second sample of digital silence, and encode it with your preferred command line (silence.mp3). Place "silence.mp3" in the same directory as your other MP3s.

2) Download musiCutter.

3) In musiCutter, click on the "Files to join" tab. Now, in the upper left-hand box of musiCutter, navigate to the directory containing your MP3s. Add the files you want to join, by highlighting them in the upper right-hand panel and clicking on the "Add" button under the "Files to join" tab. When you click on the "Join now!" button, the files will be added in the order shown. (If you want to add silence to each MP3 in your folder, you will have to do this as a separate process for each song.)

musiCutter also has the advantage of being able to keep your existing ID3v1 tags, if present.

Alternately, you can script a batch file to automatically add silence to the end of each existing MP3. In the example below, you first need to rename "silence.mp3" to "silence.add" so that you don't wind up with an extra, all-silence track, and create a subdirectory named "padded" within your existing directory. Note however, that you will have to strip your ID3v1 tags - if present - and re-tag your files after padding for this to work. (ID3v2 tags should be unaffected, since they are present at the beginning of the original MP3s.)

Code: [Select]
FOR %%f IN (*.mp3) DO copy /b "%%f"+silence.add "padded/%%f.mp3"

Hope this helps.

- M.

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #5
Another recommendation.

MP3DirectCut

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #6
Hi JEN. Gambit's suggestion is really your best option (what player are you using, anyway? NO player - anymore - should be cutting off the last few seconds of audio!), but if this is still the easiest solution for you to manage, you can accomplish it in the following manner:

1) Create a 2+ second sample of digital silence, and encode it with your preferred command line (silence.mp3). Place "silence.mp3" in the same directory as your other MP3s.

2) Download musiCutter.

3) In musiCutter, click on the "Files to join" tab. Now, in the upper left-hand box of musiCutter, navigate to the directory containing your MP3s. Add the files you want to join, by highlighting them in the upper right-hand panel and clicking on the "Add" button under the "Files to join" tab. When you click on the "Join now!" button, the files will be added in the order shown. (If you want to add silence to each MP3 in your folder, you will have to do this as a separate process for each song.)

musiCutter also has the advantage of being able to keep your existing ID3v1 tags, if present.

Alternately, you can script a batch file to automatically add silence to the end of each existing MP3. In the example below, you first need to rename "silence.mp3" to "silence.add" so that you don't wind up with an extra, all-silence track, and create a subdirectory named "padded" within your existing directory. Note however, that you will have to strip your ID3v1 tags - if present - and re-tag your files after padding for this to work. (ID3v2 tags should be unaffected, since they are present at the beginning of the original MP3s.)

Code: [Select]
FOR %%f IN (*.mp3) DO copy /b "%%f"+silence.add "padded/%%f.mp3"

Hope this helps.

- M.

I am using napa mcd380

Whats the best way to create digital silence?

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #7

Already done it for you... if you want to use the example I gave, just encode this sample with your preferred command line, and rename the output to "silence.add".

- M.

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #9

Already done it for you... if you want to use the example I gave, just encode this sample with your preferred command line, and rename the output to "silence.add".

- M.

I did what you said:

Made a batch file with the command line you gave:
FOR %%f IN (*.mp3) DO copy /b "%%f"+silence.add "padded/%%f.mp3".

This copied mp3 files to "padded" with 2 extension "songtitle.mp3.mp3", so I changed it to:
FOR %%f IN (*.mp3) DO copy /b "%%f"+silence.add "padded/%%f"

downloaded the silent wav file
encoded it using --alt-preset standard
created a subdirectory called "padded"
double clicked the batch file
looked in "padded folder" and all the mp3 files had been copied over and were slightly bigger in file size!

However, when I played back 1 of the mp3 files which was originally 3.30 minutes long, the file copied over to "padded" was still 3.30 minutes.  I was expecting it to be 3.32 minutes long?

What have I done wrong ???

[EDIT 1 - I also removed all the tags in these mp3 files using the tag frontend!]
[EDIT 2 - The mp3 files I an trying to edit are "32kbps 16000khz stereo and 32kbps 22050khz mono"]

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #10
However, when I played back 1 of the mp3 files which was originally 3.30 minutes long, the file copied over to "padded" was still 3.30 minutes.  I was expecting it to be 3.32 minutes long?

What have I done wrong ???

Nothing... but since you are using --alt-preset standard the VBR header of each MP3 in your collection has also stored the duration of the songs, and software players which read the duration from the VBR header will not realize the length has changed. You could use vbrfix to correct the durations, but this shouldn't make any difference on your Napa MCD380.

- M.

Edit: Just say your description of the files you are trying to fix. You should always encode digital padding with the same sample rate/channel number/bitrate (if applicable) as the files being padded. Do two separate encodes of the digital silence - one as 32kbps 16000khz stereo, and the other as 32kbps 22050khz mono - and use the appropriate result to pad the files of that bitrate.

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #11
I worked  !!!

Thanks

Looking for mp3 editor

Reply #12
I need to edit some of my mp3 files (cutting and adding 2 seconds of digital silence to the end!)  Is this possible?

If it is  can anyone tell me how (which software)

Thanks
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=133706"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]