Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BFUs can't tag properly (Read 4131 times) previous topic - next topic

BFUs can't tag properly

I may just be nagging here, but I have to get this off my chest, and preferably to people who actually know a thing about it.

Is it just my opinion or do other people agree with me that, among many other computer uses, people seriously need to start learning how to tag files properly?!

I get annoyed when people fail to understand the most basic concepts of computer software and related data (eg all the antivirus hype, not understanding media/containers/codecs, thinking specific file formats work only on specific OSes, using crap browser add-ons to do something that can only be done properly by stand-alone software like proper media converters, etc), but the utterly retarded things I see in music tags just appall me.

Some examples (Field name = value):
Artist = <composer> and Composer = <artist>
What, can't you tell the difference between the persons playing the instruments and the person writing the note sheets?

Artist = Mike and Album Artist = Various Artists, Mike
1) VA is bull
2) Mike is not a collective name for different artists, it's 1 person
3) there is only one artist so no need for an AA
4) common sense says AA can only be 1 name

Artist = A1, A2, Feat. A3 & A4
1) stop using commas, ampersands, etc and use the binary separator (which has its own representation in each program)
2) Feat. is bull and by definition means it's just another artist who helped make the track, so list A3 the same way as the others

Album Artist = <Publisher> Soundtrack
What?

Album = Some Name Disc 1
Ever heard of the discnumber field?

Title = Some Title (with an extra piece)
Subtitle field!

Embedded Image = 5000x5000 identical JPG in all files
1) external file since it's all the same pic
2) PNG > JPG
3) scale it down and put the full size pic in a subfolder called Art

Title = Some Title Remix or Album = Some Album Remix or ...
There are fields called Original Title, Original Album, Original Artist, etc for this exact purpose. Am I the only one who ever learned about concepts like data normalization (ie cutting all data into its atomic parts)? Making use of those tags lets my Foobar automatically differ between OSTs, remix albums, singles and single remixes of tracks from albums with the simplest kinds of config strings/library rules.

Genre = Soundtrack
Soundtrack is not a genre!

Title = Some Title (Playstation Version)
No, Title = Some Title and Media Type = Playstation

Album = Some Name Original Score
Of course it's the original score, you don't need to mention that, it's default. If it's NOT the original but some kind of alternative, THEN you should point it out

Before you ask, I'm not an old fart who's had 50 years of time to learn all this. I'm 19 and am in no way educated about music. Only by a few years of hobby and now 1 and a half years of Applied IT have I mostly been educating myself on being a total computer dork from whom computer science can't keep any secrets or surprises.

Anyway, that's my rant about BFUs and why some people in this world should not even own a computer or internet connection. Thanks for reading, and if you share the feelings, please do vent! I'm sick of feeling like the only one with a brain when it comes to computers/data.