Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lame switches (by RipperX) ? (Read 2651 times) previous topic - next topic

lame switches (by RipperX) ?

Hi

Im testing out RipperX + CD-Paranoia + Lame(3.97 beta1). (In Ubuntu Linux)

RipperX only has a slider where you can choose quality, and one field for extra parameters.

If I set the slider to 2, and add the extra parameter -vbr-new, it looks like it produces a command line like this
Code: [Select]
lame -b 128 --nohist -v -h -V 2 -vbr-new

My question now is, can anyone confirm that theese settings are compatible with current recommendations ? Or if they are not ? Is it the same as
lame -V 2 -vbr-new

?

The -b 128 I guess will be disabled by -V. The --nohist will not affect the sound. -v shold be redundant to -V.

The one that puzzles me is -h. Will this affect the result ?

Reply #1
--nohist turns off eye-candy
-v isn't necessary because of -V2
-h should make no difference because the only feature turned on at level 2 instead of level 3 isn't used by vbr-new (in rare cases 3.97 falls back to vbr-old, this is fixed in 3.98)
-b128 leads to different frame packaging, but doesn't make any difference quality wise.

Reply #2
Just a small thing:
lame -V 2 -vbr-new

should be:
lame -V 2 --vbr-new
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts