Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC + LAME + wapet.exe: APEv2-Tag + IDv1? (Read 5839 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC + LAME + wapet.exe: APEv2-Tag + IDv1?

With inspiration of http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/EAC/ I tried to use Apev2 tags with eac/lame. Worked fine. Then I wanted ApeV2+IDv1. The idea was to make lame.exe writing the idv1 tag. So the command line expanded to:

Code: [Select]
%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Title=%t" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Track=%n" -t "Genre=%m" H:\Programme\Audio\lame\LAME.EXE -V 2 --id3v1-only --ignore-tag-errors -T --noreplaygain --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --tn "%n" --ty "%y" --tg "%m" %s %d

EAC gives me:
[unhandled exception] at compression.370 -> INDEX RANGE

Did someone get it working?

Reply #1
Code: [Select]
%d -t "Artist=%a" -t "Title=%t" -t "Album=%g" -t "Year=%y" -t "Track=%n" -t "Genre=%m" lame.exe -V3 --vbr-new --id3v1-only --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d

Reply #2
Your command line, which was only a bit shorter, didn't help either. The problem was the naming scheme "%A - %C\%N - %T". Album and Track name is extremely long on the CD I was testing, so this caused eac to crash.

Now the command line works. But I don't see an id3v1 tag, Winamp does not show any tag?! Foobar2000 shows the ape tag.

Is it possible winamp does not show any tag, if an ape tag is present? It kinda gets confused by this?

Reply #3
Now the command line works. But I don't see an id3v1 tag, Winamp does not show any tag?! Foobar2000 shows the ape tag.

Is it possible winamp does not show any tag, if an ape tag is present? It kinda gets confused by this?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301381"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess it's possible. I checked my files encoded with that string with Tag, and it shows that both id3v1 and apev2 tags are present.

Reply #4
Yes: You need to turn on the tagging via the checkbox in eac gui. The tagging commands in the lame command line do not work, you can leave those out. Thanks for your assistance

Reply #5
Yes: You need to turn on the tagging via the checkbox in eac gui. The tagging commands in the lame command line do not work, you can leave those out. Thanks for your assistance
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301666"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I don't have that checkbox enabled in EAC, I rely on lame tagging. I said that my files encoded with my string above show both id3v1 and apev2 tags. So, it works all fine for me.

Reply #6
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301666"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I don't have that checkbox enabled in EAC, I rely on lame tagging. I said that my files encoded with my string above show both id3v1 and apev2 tags. So, it works all fine for me.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301702"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm pushing this thread up again, I found out a bit more:

If I uncheck the idv1 option in eac and let lame do the tagging like in your command line, winamp does not show any tags. But Foobar0.9 is able to show me there is id3v1+apev2 tags present.

Finally, for the idv1 needs, I use the eac tagging. The advantage is, I don't need such a long command line. With all the lame tag it's going to its limit.

But I'd still like to know what may be the difference in the id3v1?

Reply #7
It's probably related to the order of the tags. When you use LAME's tagging wapet places the APEv2 tag behind the ID3v1 tag, which causes that a lot of tools, which assume that the ID3v1 tag is placed in the last 128bytes of a file will not find it.
If you use EAC's tagging, EAC adds the ID3v1 tag behind the APEv2 tagged as it should be done.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #8
I tried to get ape2+id3v1 tags on mp3 files with EAC by using the commandline with wapet and also check EAC's checkbox to do id3v1. Seemed to work, but then I found out that only about 70% of the files got the id3v1 tag appended properly, so I gave up that approach. Now I rip them with ape2 tags and then replaygain them in foobar2000, then ape2+id3v1 tags are properly in place. How is it with the approach of letting lame do id3v1? Whole point is that id3v1 tags must come last in file, after the ape2 tag, to be recognized by the stuff that can't do ape2... If they are sorted the other way no tags will be recognized at all... I would think there was a risk of lame writing the id3v1 tags to the file before wapet writes the ape2 tags?

EDIT: Didn't see that dev0 made that point before me..... Still, EAC seems to miss on 30% of the files, so with 3 programs involved (EAC, lame, wapet), there's maybe some time critical operations at the end of a file encoding that doesn't always work out....?
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #9
I don't know. EAC's tagging functions are a mystery to me.
I use the same method as you do: Rip using EAC/wapet/lame and later rewrite tags using fb2k.
Works excellent, if you don't care about the additional step.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.