Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which EAX setting I should set on XP? (Read 2272 times) previous topic - next topic

Which EAX setting I should set on XP?

I have a Creative SOund Blaster Audigy sound card and ive been using windows 7 with the latest sound card drivers.'
Now Ive switched to XP and im also using the latest drivers. Ive noticed that on XP the music sounds different (worse) than on windows 7.
On windows 7 the sound is richer, clearer and snares are sharper and ive never been setting anything except installing the drivers.
Ive been experimenting a bit and ive found out that it looks like its the EAX settings that are making that difference.

http://129.7.img98.net/out.php/i224855_xp-...-enhancment.jpg

The "Guitar Grunge" EAX option set at 100% makes the music sound similar to windows 7, but still not that much good.

http://129.7.img98.net/out.php/i224856_eax-effect-2.jpg

Setting up "Concert Hall" at 100% sounds very similar to windows 7 but theres too much reverb.

Any ideas?

Reply #1
try to use No Effects. DSP is disgusting.

also try to use kernel streaming with whatever player you have. Maybe even ASIO.

Reply #2
Acctually, it turned out that the sound in XP is worse because its set to 5.1 channel and Im using stereo speakers.
Its easy to set the sound to 2.0 in control panel-> sound setting, but the problem is that after every reboot it resets to 5.1 channels setting. The creative audio console is configured to 2.0 and to synchronize with control panel, but I still have to reset to 2.0 in control panel.

Any ideas for fix?

Reply #3
It turned out that its the latest driver making bad sound. I installed old driver and sound is fine now... still 5.1 setup after every reboot.