Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Padding out errors with silence (Read 4961 times) previous topic - next topic

Padding out errors with silence

I have a few flac files with LOST_SYNC errors. They decode a fraction of a second shorter  and can't be fixed by CTDB.
I was thinking if the errors were padded with silence there might be a chance to fix them. Is this possible?

Reply #1
It's possible to pad the lost data so that all data present and the track decodes to the correct length so that the album can be recognized by the database.  I don't know if the database contains enough redundancy to fix the missing data, however.

Reply #2
It's possible to pad the lost data so that all data present and the track decodes to the correct length so that the album can be recognized by the database.  I don't know if the database contains enough redundancy to fix the missing data, however.

Is there a special too for this? Flac.exe and foobar2000 gives me the result I mentioned in OP.

Reply #3
I would use CEP/Audition, myself.  Any decent wave editor may work, but one that does a good job visually rendering the waveform will make it easier to spot where the good data ends.

Reply #4
I was able to repair such flac files a few times by recoding them to new flac files with the foobar2000 converter. Although the converter was complaining about errors in the source the files, the recoded files could be successfully repaired with CUETools afterwards.

Reply #5
I would use CEP/Audition, myself.  Any decent wave editor may work, but one that does a good job visually rendering the waveform will make it easier to spot where the good data ends.

+1. I have done this in Audacity a couple of times. Far from the ideal fix, but it does the job.

Reply #6

Ok, I figured as much. Lucky I found Auditotester by VU player that at least gives a time point for the error.