Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Buy a Mp3 Personal Player... (Read 2933 times) previous topic - next topic

Buy a Mp3 Personal Player...

Well I Really Really want a mp3 player but, I can't decide which one to buy. In my country I can get one of those...

1. Samsung Yepp MCD-SM60 (No ID Tag)
2. Expanium 200/300 (no Id tag  ) But play aac(The 300 I think)
3. Panasonic SL-SX290 (no ID-tag)
4. Rio SP 50

IMHO the best choice is the Xpanium 200($) or the Rio SP 50....

What do you think??
Ready Steady Go

Reply #1
The Rio sp-50 is upgradeable to 640mb!  Presumably with a 512mb flashcard.  I haven't yet heard of flash players this upgradeable; this feature alone makes it a great player. 

Also 35 hours of battery life sounds great, but I would be seriously surprised if it actually gets that much time while outputting music at a reasonable volume level.  Still, even 20 hours is good.  My nomad II is lucky if it gets 15 hours on good batteries...

Reply #2
http://www.cameratradersltd.com/html/items.../item268211.htm  or

http://comptick.com/cf-1024.html

Plus....

the smallest one of these would be cool as well.  I read that the latest firmware on this particular player supports USB 2.0, but I don't know whether this means the transfer speeds or simply some kind of compatibility issue that wasn't letting it do USB1.1 on USB 2.0 before...Can a simple firmware upgrade make a player USB 2.0 compatible?  Well, this player supports any CompactFlash Type I card.  I don't think it does ID3 tags, but for a flash memory player, I don't need that.  I really like it, I think it is my favorite CF mp3 player I've seen.  I wonder if they can do a firmware upgrade for ogg?

http://www.mydivaplayer.com/html/diva.html

Edit:  It uses FAT16, so you can theoretically go up to 2GB CF.  They are in development of a player that supports CF Type II and IBM Microdrives.  BTW, you can use it under Linux as well as Windows and Macs, and it shows up as a removeable hard drive in Windows, so you can transfer other stuff besides music tyo and from it.  And actually it DOES support ID3 tags, Playlist, and has some Fixed Equalizer Presets.  I think the only drawback is the screen size, but for a flash memory player, with smaller media and playlists, it isn't THAT big of deal.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #3
How about the new iRiver flash players?  Their CD-MP3 players are considered the best.

I do like my Yepp YP-700 except for the headphone amp being a little weak for my Sennheiser phones (106 dB at 1 KHz / 1 volt).  (ed: weak when riding my noisy lifecycle, with less outside noise it's great.)

(I still need to do my homework on normalizing for quiet tracks  )

Reply #4
How about the new iRiver flash players?  Their CD-MP3 players are considered the best.

Hmm..  Doesn't appear that these have flash memory slots?  Thats a pretty big downside.  Though if you buy the 512 mb version you probably won't be crying about storage space too much.