Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1.1.8 %album artist% shows ALBUM ARTIST+ALBUMARTIST—can I show just 1? (Read 2450 times) previous topic - next topic

1.1.8 %album artist% shows ALBUM ARTIST+ALBUMARTIST—can I show just 1?

This isn't "technically" a bug so much as it's an annoyance manifested by a new feature of 1.1.8. With the introduction of the new default tagging scheme (ALBUMARTIST, DISCTOTAL, TRACKTOTAL) for FLAC/Vorbis files, ALBUM ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST are now equated as tags. This is good, I suppose, as the effort is presumably to extend compatibility to any tagging scheme you might encounter.

The problem, however, is that due to a lack of standardization in Vorbis comments, various players and taggers support ALBUMARTIST, ALBUM ARTIST, or both. So myself (and some others I know) have always added both tags to cover all bases and ensure compatibility with everything.

Now, since foobar sees both tags as the same field, these albums all show a duplicate album artist, which is totally useless.

A potential solution is to simply mass-delete one of the tags, but I'd rather not do that for various reasons. Is it possible to make the default behaviour to merely display one tag if both ALBUM ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST have the same value? Maybe just a little setting stowed away in Advanced preferences? This would return the functionality to the way it was in 1.1.7 and previous versions.

Reply #1
Is it possible to make the default behaviour to merely display one tag if both ALBUM ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST have the same value?
You didn’t specify in which UI and where you want to do this. I don’t believe there is an option to revert the behaviour, but you can certainly replace the multiply mapped %album artist% with the deterministic $meta(albumartist) or $meta(album artist) in any context where display is done via title-formatting.

Reply #2
I personally use the default UI+Facets, but presumably the others as well, since it seems precipitated by the tagging interpretation at the base level of the program. I currently use this for my "Artist/Album Artist" type column, and it displayed dupes:

$if($meta_test(album artist),%album artist%,[%artist%])

Reply #3
Yes, because that will still display %album artist% rather than either of the specific $meta fields.

Reply #4
But then you've sort of defeated the point of being able to use either/or (depending on the source of your tracks it might be ALBUM ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST or even BAND), which would require a rather messy if/else statement beyond the comprehension of an average user. It just seems like something that would be a quick fix considering it worked fine merely a version ago.

Reply #5
Yes, because that will still display %album artist% rather than either of the specific $meta fields.

No, $meta(album artist) is now multi valuable ($num(album artist) ==2, values separate by semicolon in properties) and $meta(albumartist) is empty. There is no function to show only one value from multi valuable tag.
I don't see easy way to remove duplicates (split into variables and $strcmp()? Insane).

Reply #6
Try $meta(albumartist,0).
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...a.28name.2Cn.29

Also note that "The old behaviour [regarding vorbis comment compatability] can be restored with an Advanced Preferences switch." Maybe that works out.

Reply #7
Try $meta(albumartist,0).
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...a.28name.2Cn.29

$meta(album artist,0) will display only first name in multivaluable fields, but the second NOT always is a duplicate :-) Nevertheless this hint is great.

BTW why titleformat_help.html under 'syntax help' in preferences is so limited? It's almost a bug.

Also note that "The old behaviour [regarding vorbis comment compatability] can be restored with an Advanced Preferences switch." Maybe that works out.

I tested. Didn't help.

Reply #8
I think I am experiencing the same annoyance. I use Foobar in conjunction with Tag & Rename. I would use Foobar exclusively, but there are a few tagging tasks that I haven't quite figured out how to do in Foobar. Sometimes, whenever I use Tag & Rename to edit tags, I notice that the values for Album Artist gets duplicated.