Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "The" in Esplaylist (Read 2730 times) previous topic - next topic

"The" in Esplaylist

Currently my facets artist selector is selected to negate the word "The" (aka The Beatles are featured in "B" section of list)
However, in the actual Esplaylist, I cannot find a way to do this, so all the "The"s are stuck together (aka The Beatles appear after Talking Heads)

I've been poking around trying to fix this, but have had no luck.

Any suggestions? (I feel as if its extremely simple, and I'm just over thinking it)

Thanks,
Ozzdog
F*ck the police.

"The" in Esplaylist

Reply #1
If esplaylist has a specific setting for this I would think it would be clearly in it's preferences. Regardless you should be able to define you own columns definitions or adjust the ones you are using. Straight forward via foobar2000 titleformat syntax.
$stripprefix or $swapprefix ought to do the trick

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...tting_Reference

"The" in Esplaylist

Reply #2
hi, and thanks for the quick response.

Where exactly would I put this $stripprefix? (which preference menu?) Sorry if its a dumb question, but I cant figure it out!
F*ck the police.

"The" in Esplaylist

Reply #3
You would be using this as the definition of one of you playlist columns. I do not know how you have your playlist setup. If you have a standard column, say, an artist column, Right click on the column heading. There will be lots of setup options. One should be edit. There you find what foobar2000 has been told to show in this column named artist.
$stripprefix(%artist%) should get you started.

"The" in Esplaylist

Reply #4
You would be using this as the definition of one of you playlist columns. I do not know how you have your playlist setup. If you have a standard column, say, an artist column, Right click on the column heading. There will be lots of setup options. One should be edit. There you find what foobar2000 has been told to show in this column named artist.
$stripprefix(%artist%) should get you started.

When doing this, I just get

Talking heads
Beatles

(No more The, but still sorted the same)???
F*ck the police.

"The" in Esplaylist

Reply #5
Seems like you just want to ignore the "The" in your sorting--so do just that.  Go to edit>sort>sort by . . . and use your $stripprefix command there.  For instance, mine is set to sort like this:

$stripprefix(%ARTIST%,The) - %DATE% - %ALBUM% -  $if(%TRACKNUMBER%,%TRACKNUMBER%,%TITLE%)

For ease of use you can set up a keyboard shortcut so you can just hit ctrl+a to select all playlist elements, then hit your newly created "sort" shorty.  Whatever sorting format you used last will automatically populate in the active field so you can just hit enter and VOILA!, your playlist is sorted ignoring (but still displaying) the leading "The".

"The" in Esplaylist

Reply #6
Seems like you just want to ignore the "The" in your sorting--so do just that.  Go to edit>sort>sort by . . . and use your $stripprefix command there.  For instance, mine is set to sort like this:

$stripprefix(%ARTIST%,The) - %DATE% - %ALBUM% -  $if(%TRACKNUMBER%,%TRACKNUMBER%,%TITLE%)

For ease of use you can set up a keyboard shortcut so you can just hit ctrl+a to select all playlist elements, then hit your newly created "sort" shorty.  Whatever sorting format you used last will automatically populate in the active field so you can just hit enter and VOILA!, your playlist is sorted ignoring (but still displaying) the leading "The".

worked like a charm! thanks both of you for your help on this seemingly novice question

Ozzdog
F*ck the police.