Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Skipping and Stuttering (Read 2283 times) previous topic - next topic

Skipping and Stuttering

Hi -

recently i did a tear down and format of my laptop and i really didn't think this would affect Fb2k as i use the portable version but for some reason i am now having an odd problem. whenever my monitor goes off, i have it set to just turn off the monitor after about 20mins, foo just starts skipping and stuttering but as soon as i wiggle the mouse, bring the monitor back, it stops. i have no idea what it could be. i tried looking for a similar problem/solution but found none and have disable hibernate, sleep and USB power down nothing so far has fixed it. anyone have a suggestion?

Skipping and Stuttering

Reply #3
Any defrag screen saver or something running in the background?

Skipping and Stuttering

Reply #4

Even those shouldn't be a problem: I often defrag (with the run in foreground option) the very drive(s) I'm playing from.

To the OP:  Have you tried the "Prevent Screensaver & monitor standby when playing" option in the Playback options?  Also, perhaps the Advanced/Tools option "Prevent machine standby during time-consuming tasks".  Just shots in the dark.

Skipping and Stuttering

Reply #5
Have you tried to check history of CPU usage while monitor was off? You can simply run Windows Taskmanager before you let monitor going off... Maybe some driver (monitor or graphic card) issue is connected in you system with standing by of monitor?

Skipping and Stuttering

Reply #6

i haven't checked that but since i have a SSD this is usually never been on before.

Even those shouldn't be a problem: I often defrag (with the run in foreground option) the very drive(s) I'm playing from.

To the OP:  Have you tried the "Prevent Screensaver & monitor standby when playing" option in the Playback options?  Also, perhaps the Advanced/Tools option "Prevent machine standby during time-consuming tasks".  Just shots in the dark.

"Prevent Screensaver & monitor standby when playing" is unchecked and "Prevent machine standby during time-consuming tasks" is checked.

Have you tried to check history of CPU usage while monitor was off? You can simply run Windows Taskmanager before you let monitor going off... Maybe some driver (monitor or graphic card) issue is connected in you system with standing by of monitor?

i did try doing some testing and adjusted power times, to no avail, and eventually just tried to see what would happened if i don't have it power off but do it manually, via my FN key, after, i would say, 5 minutes that same stuttering started happening.  i have noticed that when i let the monitor power off, wait for the stutter and bring it back that there is a huge, over 90% CPU usage going on.  no clue why though also i reinstalled WMP, to see if it was a USB issue or a common event and WMP doesn't do it just Foo.  am going to try and run Foo on my HD and off the USB to see if it still does it, if so i am guessing it might be a plugin issue?

Skipping and Stuttering

Reply #8
okay, i did a test of the USB power and the drive itself, i pulled Foo off the USB and ran on my HD and it did not skip or stutter on the HD so i think there was a corruption of the USB or a power issue so i formatted the drive, updated the board drivers, cause i just formatted, and put it all back on the USB. seems to have fixed the problem. thanks everyone for the input/ideas and being a sounding board i appreciate it!