Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Audiophile" listening event @ Definitive Audio in Seattle (Read 153977 times) previous topic - next topic

"Audiophile" listening event @ Definitive Audio in Seattle

Reply #250
The things that actually detract from your listening pleasure are pretty gross.

Like sighted listening to non-high resolution lossless?  I truly believe that some are detracted from their listening pleasure knowing that all the "sonic goodness" hasn't been exploited.  What about the poor fool who realized his magic rocks were stolen?  Do you think his system will sound the same to him in his conscious mind when he knows they aren't there?

Reply #251
I suspect that there are still some differences that would be more identifiable in long term tests,

Looks like a statement of religious faith.

based on the fact that even short audio snippets put heavy demands on short term memory.

No, they reduce the demands  on short term memory and eliminate demands on long term memory.

We are both speculating here, not necessarily a bad thing, since it lays the ground for further research.

No, I'm not speculating at all, except about the tiny details of very specific cases. In general, I know what to suspect,, based on decades of practical experience.  I can't say that my experience covers 100.000% of every situation, but I've formed general rules and guidelines that predict the outcome of almost all listening tests.

If I make mistakes at all, I usually end up failing to predict null outcomes.  For example when we recently did blind comparisons of some <$400 a pair powered monitors to some highly regarded $12,000 a pair systems I didn't expect that the listeners would have no significant preferences for one over the other.  Hope springs eternal!

Reply #252
The things that actually detract from your listening pleasure are pretty gross.

Like sighted listening to non-high resolution lossless?  I truly believe that some are detracted from their listening pleasure knowing that all the "sonic goodness" hasn't been exploited.

Obviously true for some of audio's more legendary obsessive-compulsives like Mr. F.

What about the poor fool who realized his magic rocks were stolen?  Do you think his system will sound the same to him in his conscious mind when he knows they aren't there?

I think the way it works is that people hear of some gizmo that will *improve* their sound based on hearty testimonials from the usual suspects, and then their system's sound causes them unbearable  stress until they *fix* the situation by means of a new equipment acquisition. That's how I was until I had my eyes opened by ABX.

Reply #253

Quote from: greynol link=msg=0 date=

Quote from: Stereoeditor link=msg=0 date=

That was the point I was making to greynol. Consider a formal test to examine the audibility of a small but possibly audible effect, which may not be audible on all kinds of music. You need a very large number of trials to bring the power of statistical anlaysis to bear, both on the audibility or lack thereof, and the interdependence between the effect and the music program.

How convenient. People claim to be fatigued by sighted listening to otherwise transparent lossy or CDDA but not by sighted listening to a high resolution counterpart, but they cannot be tested on this because unsighted listening is fatiguing???

As I said in the message of mine that you deleted, I have not said that. Nor does it follow from the message of mine from which you quoted. I was making a general argument concerning the possibility of listener fatigue acting as an interfering variable in formal listening tests and what can be done to prevent that from occurring.

You didn't suggest that ABX testing causes fatigue?  If you did then your complaints are a non sequitur.

I thought it was clear in my comment that I was talking about fatigue in general. The test subjects in ABX tests become fatigued, just as they do in any task requiring concentration. This isn't a comment on the ABX methodology as such; my point is that a well-designed listening test needs to allow for the inevitable fatigue if it is not to become an interfering variable. This is hardly controversial.

My question was not posed to you personally.  If it were I would have addressed you personally.  This is a public forum, John; my comments are open for anyone to respond.

Of course, It was just that as you were quoting from one of my postings, that implied that you were commenting on something I was supposed to have written. If that were not the case, then  my apologies.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Reply #254
I think the way it works is that people hear of some gizmo that will *improve* their sound based on hearty testimonials from the usual suspects, and then their system's sound causes them unbearable  stress until they *fix* the situation by means of a new equipment acquisition.

Right.  Discovering the disappearance of the magic rocks will cause the believer to revert back to his previous state of unbearable stress.  When the believer realizes that the rocks could have been gone for listening sessions prior to the discovery, he will re-interpret his experiences from these prior sessions in order to satisfy his belief.

Reply #255
Reality is that differences that you can ABX in a heartbeat often have zero effect on your listening pleasure.

For example, ABX the same musical selection, one unchanged, the other attenuated by a dB or two.  In open listening both are equally enjoyable. Yet you can easily ABX them and hear a difference.

Just enough nonlinear distortion to be easily ABX-able can have similar effects, even high orer distortion. As I pointed out in a previous post, one of the subjective effects of modest amounts of  common forms of nonlinear distortion might be a slight shift in timbre.

While we call common forms of nonlinear distortion "grunge", it doesn't sound like grunge in modest amounts - enough to be just barely reliably detectable.  You hear it as a barely discernable difference that you can't detect at all without a ready undistorted referemce. Listen to it all day, and you'll never know that it is there.  The things that actually detract from your listening pleasure are pretty gross.

An interesting point. I wonder, though, whether even if it isn't offensive, it doesn't detract from the sense of realism, which is in itself pleasurable. But I can't think of any objective tests from which to quote here, as I could in the case of e.g. frequency response aberrations that have been linked inversely to listener assessments of subjective quality.

Reply #256
I suspect that there are still some differences that would be more identifiable in long term tests,

Nope, it looks like a statement of agnosticism. Religious faith would be taking either position in the absence of evidence.

based on the fact that even short audio snippets put heavy demands on short term memory.

No, they reduce the demands  on short term memory and eliminate demands on long term memory.

Reread what I wrote.
We are both speculating here, not necessarily a bad thing, since it lays the ground for further research.

No, I'm not speculating at all, except about the tiny details of very specific cases. In general, I know what to suspect,, based on decades of practical experience.  I can't say that my experience covers 100.000% of every situation, but I've formed general rules and guidelines that predict the outcome of almost all listening tests.

If I make mistakes at all, I usually end up failing to predict null outcomes.  For example when we recently did blind comparisons of some <$400 a pair powered monitors to some highly regarded $12,000 a pair systems I didn't expect that the listeners would have no significant preferences for one over the other.  Hope springs eternal!

If you aren't speculating, you haven't presented your complete case here, because I haven't seen anything that nullifies the postulated objections some have to ABX testing. I have seen what, on the face of it, would seem to be useful techniques to minimize some of those objections, e.g., preselecting program material and, perhaps, educating the ear through long-term listening before performing the tests. Taken together, those techniques would seem to dispense with some major objections.

Reply #257

Nope, it looks like a statement of agnosticism. Religious faith would be taking either position in the absence of evidence.

An agnostic statement would be to say that there are some differences that are equally identifiable either way. Thus far we know that short term tests are generally superior.

If you aren't speculating, you haven't presented your complete case here,

I've presented a quick summary. I'm not going to post a full academic paper for formal review here.

because I haven't seen anything that nullifies the postulated objections some have to ABX testing.

That's anything but agnosticism. You've just thrown in with "..the postulated objections that some have to ABX testing."

Besides, your criteria is set way to high and is biased against ABX. There are few theories that are totally nullified in the eyes of diehards who hold onto them in the face of considerable counter evidence. We don't have to nullify tho theories of nay-sayers, all we have to do is advance theories and evidence that establish that the preponderance of valid evidence supports ABX. That was done decades ago.

If you simply ask that listening tests be valid tests, then sighted evaluations die on the spot.

I have seen what, on the face of it, would seem to be useful techniques to minimize some of those objections, e.g., preselecting program material and, perhaps, educating the ear through long-term listening before performing the tests. Taken together, those techniques would seem to dispense with some major objections.

"Educating the ear via long term tests" fails on the ground that in every case we've examined, long term tests are woefully and unnecessarily time-consuming and insensitive. I see  that you apparently never bothered to read "Flying Blind", or you didn't get it.

Reply #258
An agnostic statement would be to say that there are some differences that are equally identifiable either way. Thus far we know that short term tests are generally superior.

I said nothing contradicting, or affirming, that, since I'm not aware of any hard evidence that they generally are or aren't, only evidence that they are superior in some cases.

because I haven't seen anything that nullifies the postulated objections some have to ABX testing.

That's anything but agnosticism. You've just thrown in with "..the postulated objections that some have to ABX testing."

No, that's why I referred to them as "postulated." For the most part, I'm not aware of any solid evidence that they're valid. In some cases where there is evidence, e.g., of the statistical difficulty of detecting low probability events in ABX tests of practical length, you've pointed to techniques that might reduce the problem.

You seem to be trying to place me in a camp here. That will generally fail, because even where I do have a personal agenda, e.g., a distaste for snake oil, I try to keep it separate from discussions of the science. Wishing that I could prove something won't make it so. The best I can do is try to narrow any areas of uncertainty.
Besides, your criteria is set way to high and is biased against ABX. There are few theories that are totally nullified in the eyes of diehards who hold onto them in the face of considerable counter evidence. We don't have to nullify tho theories of nay-sayers, all we have to do is advance theories and evidence that establish that the preponderance of valid evidence supports ABX. That was done decades ago.

If you simply ask that listening tests be valid tests, then sighted evaluations die on the spot.

I'm raising objections here rather than trying to balance evidence. That's just a matter of the direction in which the discussion ran. If you step over to the critic's asylum, you'll see that I've most recently been debating the audio applications of quantum teleportation with Geoff Kait -- great fun, more for the opportunity to discuss quantum mechanics than any practical point about audio -- and defending Nyquist. And Jim Austin.

I have seen what, on the face of it, would seem to be useful techniques to minimize some of those objections, e.g., preselecting program material and, perhaps, educating the ear through long-term listening before performing the tests. Taken together, those techniques would seem to dispense with some major objections.

"Educating the ear via long term tests" fails on the ground that in every case we've examined, long term tests are woefully and unnecessarily time-consuming and insensitive. I see  that you apparently never bothered to read "Flying Blind", or you didn't get it.

I'd forgotten about "Flying Blind," I must have gotten sidetracked.

You yourself have spoken of the benefits of listening to material at sufficient length to identify sections that are candidates for ABX tests of audible phenomena with a low probability of occurrence.

It is also, I think, well established that training increases the ability of listeners to make consistent judgments; see Olive and Toole.

As for not getting things, I don't get women, I don't get Edith Piaf, and I don't get people who don't get Keynesian economics.

Reply #259

I'm not aware of any hard evidence that they generally are or aren't, only evidence that they are superior in some cases.

Please come back when you've done your homework. You can't possibly have a well-informed opinion that is worth the time to address as long as you ignore evidence that you have been pointed again and again at for days, and conveniently forget to look at.

Here's a link to the article PDF, and some other articles you probably need to read and understand as well:

Links to "Flying Blind" and other relevant Tom Nousaine articles

Reply #260

I'm not aware of any hard evidence that they generally are or aren't, only evidence that they are superior in some cases.

Please come back when you've done your homework. You can't possibly have a well-informed opinion that is worth the time to address as long as you ignore evidence that you have been pointed again and again at for days, and conveniently forget to look at.

Here's a link to the article PDF, and some other articles you probably need to read and understand as well:

Links to "Flying Blind" and other relevant Tom Nousaine articles

All right, I read the article. It was a very nice article, really it was, and worth reading, even though you'd already described the results here.

Perhaps, in time, I will look at some of the others, but really, even my dog knows that some kinds of distortion are most audible in short term comparisons. That has never been a matter of debate. The question is whether some are best heard with long-term listening.

I have stipulated that some forms of distortion are most audible in short term comparisons, and you have already stipulated that some forms of distortion benefit from pre-selection of program material, which requires long term listening. I have also expressed the opinion that the methodology you propose -- long-term listening followed by short-term comparisons -- is probably sufficient to overcome the problem of events with a low probability of occurrence, as well as to allow any necessary training to occur. This does not dispense with all objections, but insofar as these issues are concerned, with the exception perhaps of the utility of training by listening and the utility of ad hominem attacks and posturing, I do not see that we have any fundamental disagreement.

Reply #261
The question is whether some are best heard with long-term listening.

Nobody has ever been able to name that distortion or provide an example of it.

I have stipulated that some forms of distortion are most audible in short term comparisons,

A meaningless *concession*. Some = what, 2? Who knows?

you have already stipulated that some forms of distortion benefit from pre-selection of program material, which requires long term listening.

No, I've stipulated that the nature of  defects in recordings which includes distortion is such that not every second of every recording ever made is the best place to hear it.

That is a common sense finding that has nothing to do with long term versus short term listening.

I have also expressed the opinion that the methodology you propose -- long-term listening followed by short-term comparisons -- is probably sufficient to overcome the problem of events with a low probability of occurrence, as well as to allow any necessary training to occur.

There's no need for long term listening once someone someplace figured out which parts of which recordings are good for hearing whatever you want to hear.

This is no different from listening for pleasure in that you have to use similar means to listen to a piece of music you want to hear. You have to find the right part of the right disc to hear that piece of music you want to hear.

This does not dispense with all objections,

It only dispenses with the known reasonable objections.

but insofar as these issues are concerned, with the exception perhaps of the utility of training by listening and the utility of ad hominem attacks and posturing, I do not see that we have any fundamental disagreement.

You made yourself an easy target for criticism when you continued to pretend that there is no evidence after several people pointed you at it.  Well with some significant effort we finally worked you past that...

Reply #262
The question is whether some are best heard with long-term listening.

Nobody has ever been able to name that distortion or provide an example of it.

I have given several examples of such distortion, to whit, distortions that are highly dependent on the program material. You have yourself acknowledged this phenomenon. It is an inevitable consequence of trying to conduct an experiment with a test signal with low self-correlation.

I have stipulated that some forms of distortion are most audible in short term comparisons,

A meaningless *concession*. Some = what, 2? Who knows?

It is not a concession, it as an age-old observation, and neither is it meaningless. If it were meaningless, there would be no reason to conduct short term listening comparisons other than convenience. There clearly is. And I believe many, if not all, subjective reviewers acknowledge that.

you have already stipulated that some forms of distortion benefit from pre-selection of program material, which requires long term listening.

No, I've stipulated that the nature of  defects in recordings which includes distortion is such that not every second of every recording ever made is the best place to hear it.

That is a common sense finding that has nothing to do with long term versus short term listening.

"You have stipulated that some houses are red." "No, I have stipulated that some houses are red."

I fail to see how this can have nothing to do with long versus short term listening. To identify some audible distortions requires listening to a wide variety of program material. This is, I think, almost self-evident: a piccolo suite doesn't tell us much about the behavior of a woofer.

You made yourself an easy target for criticism when you continued to pretend that there is no evidence after several people pointed you at it.  Well with some significant effort we finally worked you past that...

Save it for the jury. I don't pretend, I have acknowledged all evidence presented here, and you delude yourself if you suppose that anyone whose opinion I care about is swayed by bluster or pomposity. as opposed to technical arguments and facts.

Reply #263
Josh:
If you aren't speculating, you haven't presented your complete case here, because I haven't seen anything that nullifies the postulated objections some have to ABX testing. I have seen what, on the face of it, would seem to be useful techniques to minimize some of those objections, e.g., preselecting program material and, perhaps, educating the ear through long-term listening before performing the tests. Taken together, those techniques would seem to dispense with some major objections.

Sure.  Academic ABX/DBT testing typically includes training, and protocols taht take fatigue into account.

But maybe first the 'objectors' should do some objecting to the patently nonrigorous means of determining audible difference employed by the loudest and most attended-to voices in audiophilia -- voices like Stereophile and TAS? Indeed,  some of the 'objectors' are writers and editorial staff for those magazines.

For someone like John Atkinson to publish 'objections' to ABX while touting difference-signal 'demonstrations' of the 'evils of MP3' strikes me as....objectionable.

Reply #264
Ive been reading the arguments going on here and thought this topic on ABX testing is very interesting especially because Ive been doing these abx test with foobar myself and have also been a stereophile reader since the early 90s and actually also respect what John Atkinson has to say on stereophile since Ive experienced a lot of his findings on certain things being similar to mine. You guys could say i'm in the neutral zone here because I find value in all sides of the arguments.

The reason why I felt like posting here was not because I wanted to argue with anyone or talk about the specific audible differences I hear with the different lossy file formats because the flowery words I might use to describe the differences I hear is sure to be a TOS8 violation. Unless I can state exactly what the technical term for the deficiencies that I hear are ex. mp3's pre-echo in certain passages and other specific errors on different passages then I'd rather not talk about anything specific on this topic. These sound cues/deficiencies that I hear are what make me able to pass abx tests on foobar even though I don't know what type of errors they are.

Before losing myself in writing too many things here, I just have some questions on the top of my head that would be interesting if anyone could answer with scientific proof here. My questions are...

-Is it proven that not being able to pass ABX tests on foobar comparing two files mean that they are sonically the same in quality? What if you don't exclusively listen to foobar/pc audio and you can hear the difference on your home audio rig more clearly but have no way to prove it because you can not use foobar abx during the time you are hearing those limitations?

- Does the lack of training for searching for specific codec artifacts when doing an abx test mean that one will not be able to hear those differences when just listening to the music for enjoyment from time to time? Its possible that one could be focused on too many specific things trying to find the differences between files when they should listen to other parts of the music instead during an abx test. Does this really mean that failing to pass a quick ABX test ensures that one cannot hear the difference between these files in the long term?

-Is it possible that in certain mental states (different moods, sleepiness, etc...) that certain differences in sound can be heard more easily by people? This one is a mystery that I cannot cite a specific example here that doesn't violate TOS8.

-and here is a funny question... Why is Placebo bad? Since we are all more or less educated enough here to know that lossless files are bigger than lossy files in filesize, why is placebo a bad thing if it makes a person enjoy listening to music via lossless files more than lossy just because one thinks deep down inside that there is less of a possibility of losses when listening to lossless?

Reply #265
-and here is a funny question... Why is Placebo bad?

Because there are real resources involved, like hard drive space, CPU, time, and, last but not least, money.

Placebo isn't bad, but if placebo causes you to needlessly waste money, then that's bad.

Reply #266
-Is it proven that not being able to pass ABX tests on foobar comparing two files mean that they are sonically the same in quality?

No. It means one couldn't distinguish between the two files on that particular setup, on that particular time, etc. How far you want to extrapolate from that varies.

- Does the lack of training for searching for specific codec artifacts when doing an abx test mean that one will not be able to hear those differences when just listening to the music for enjoyment from time to time?

No, but the possibility to find differences when you are not looking for them and without having a reference doesn't strike me to be higher. On top of that an ABX test doesn't have to have a short time span. If you think you can reliably hear a difference later on, it is allowed to come back and ABX again.

-and here is a funny question... Why is Placebo bad? Since we are all more or less educated enough here to know that lossless files are bigger than lossy files in filesize, why is placebo a bad thing if it makes a person enjoy listening to music via lossless files more than lossy just because one thinks deep down inside that there is less of a possibility of losses when listening to lossless?

Because placebo often involves spending more money.
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #267
LOL I like those replies about money. Money is a very important thing not to waste but if one thinks about the cost of hard drive space these days though its probably less than a dime per gigabyte  Is that really worth not squeezing out all the possible juice out of the $17 CD one just bought? Thats approximately three albums per dime that don't have to be ripped and re-ripped all over again when the newest builds of lossy codecs come along sounding better per byte than its predecessor.

Reply #268
LOL I like those replies about money. Money is a very important thing not to waste but if one thinks about the cost of hard drive space these days though its probably less than a dime per gigabyte

Give a look at the price tag of the equipments usually reviewed on audiophile magazines (Stereophile and the like)...

P.S. By the way, Mr. Atkinson, I'm a subscriber of yours... mainly for economical reasons: the iPhone only version is sooo cheap!
... I live by long distance.

Reply #269
IMO, because an untruth/misconception being comforting doesn’t negate the fact that it’s an untruth/misconception.

Reply #270
Is that really worth not squeezing out all the possible juice out of the $17 CD one just bought? Thats approximately three albums per dime that don't have to be ripped and re-ripped all over again when the newest builds of lossy codecs come along sounding better per byte than its predecessor.

This PDF (connection may be slow), on "page 76" has an inset called Table 2, and it embodies the core of what I'm talking about.

Reply #271

This is probably the first question many people ask about placebo. Long time ago I asked it myself to a doctor friend of mine, and his answer was simple and can pretty much be applied in most or all instances (even outside of medicine, I mean). It's dishonest and unethical. With doctors, it can potentially lose patient trust. I don't think with pseudoscientists in general (audiophools, homeopaths, shamans, whatever) trust is an issue, since they feed in gullibility; they'll just find other targets if they lose trust with the previous ones. Of course, it also has a cost like others said (time and money in the case of audiophilia, but can be worse in other cases, it can even cost people's lives for instance in medical cases).

Reply #272
btw, there was a guy some time ago here that was asking for advice for his friend, whose marriage was suffering because of his extravagant spending in audiophile stuff.

Reply #273
-Is it proven that not being able to pass ABX tests on foobar comparing two files mean that they are sonically the same in quality?

Because placebo often involves spending more money.

If some bored dilettantes spending their trust fund money on expensive placebo-audio systems was the extent of it, I'd be a lot happier.

But it isn't. The interesting question would be what percentage of all audio R&D money is being spent on things that are placebo-related.  Another question would be how much effort is was
wasted on mainstream equipment to address audiophile myths. Then there is what I see as the now largely ruined high end audio market that at one time exclusively addressed real improvements in sound quality.  It is possible that we'd now have far better actual audio technology if the floobydust contingent hadn't siphoned off so much of everybodies' time and energy.

Reply #274
It is possible that we'd now have far better actual audio technology if the floobydust contingent hadn't siphoned off so much of everybodies' time and energy.
...and relatively normal people would still be interested

You know, in the same way that relatively normal people think "HD looks better", but don't think "this $500 cable sounds better".

Cheers,
David.