Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero 7.2 Released (Read 98409 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero 7.2 Released

I am pleased to announce that Nero has released big update of Nero package just few minutes ago.

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/11793.html

List of the new and updated features is quite impressive, but for HA users I think the most interesting update is completely new AAC encoder in the Nero Burning Rom / Wave Editor and SoundTrax.

This update represents a new Nero 7 milestone in the long list of free monthly updates! It is packed with new features for your favorite applications and even offers Blu-ray Disc data recording support.

In addition to this update, there will be one major suprise this week, especially targeted to audio communities. So, stay tuned.

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #1
Could you give more information about the new AAC encoder? What are the changes? Are there new features?

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #2
The new AAC encoder sounds great, but is it worth the hassle of a mandatory NeroHome & ShowTime?
If Nero shipped with a version of NCAB I'd be all over this one

edit - almost forgot Nero scout!  There are instructions to delete most of the unwanted features (remind anybody of Roxio in the bad old days?) but this is too much work.
Something like this would be ideal:  http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=80&t=44603

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #3
Hard to say what has been changed as the whole encoder and the plug-in for Nero are completely new

Encoder is built on our new technology, it supports ABR, CBR and quality-based VBR coding modes and it fixes issues that were known with the old encoder - it should also be noticeably faster than the old AAC encoder.

It supports HE-AAC, HE-AAC v2 and LC-AAC.  SBR mode has been proven to be leading the HE-AAC encoder race, and hopefully LC-AAC in this new AAC will follow, as the ABR bug is fixed.

Also, as I mentioned - there will be an additional big surprise for audio communities, which will also add the first in the world public 2-pass AAC encoding as well as some very hot things - but about this, I will give more details later this week

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #4
The new AAC encoder sounds great, but is it worth the hassle of a mandatory NeroHome & ShowTime?

Nero Home and ShowTime are also great products

But - yes, for AAC lovers there will be a very nice surprise this week which might help in this case, too

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #6
Oh come on. I'll be the first one to admit that it's bloated. But.. The installer is 100MB. In the age of broadband, that is nothing.

Some people don't have access to such technologies (for financial or geographic reason). I recall that the full package is necessary even for correcting a small bug. There's probably a solution for pleasing people who can't easily download 124 MB (Nero 7.0 was 100 MB: from where are these 24 MB coming from? BluRay support?) and that's probably why people are complaining about. Imaging Windows Update forcing people to download 1GB each month because we're in the broadband age  Bugfixes are mostly available for less than 1 MB - thus available for everyone.

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #7
Well, the only thing that disturbs me is that Nero doesn't officially offer BT downloads (or do they?). I am currently downloading at 10 KB/s although I could download 20x faster than that. Going to offer a torrent after having the file on my HDD.

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #8
Well, the only thing that disturbs me is that Nero doesn't officially offer BT downloads (or do they?).

Please check the facts, before complaining. Thanks. BT support has been offered for several months.

http://nero-mirror.com/software/Nero7/7.2....ytb.exe.torrent

Edit: Unfortunately, that server is *also* overloaded by now 

(Nero 7.0 was 100 MB: from where are these 24 MB coming from? BluRay support?)

Working online updates 

Edit: *sigh*

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #9
Hard to say what has been changed as the whole encoder and the plug-in for Nero are completely new

Encoder is built on our new technology, it supports ABR, CBR and quality-based VBR coding modes and it fixes issues that were known with the old encoder - it should also be noticeably faster than the old AAC encoder.

It supports HE-AAC, HE-AAC v2 and LC-AAC.  SBR mode has been proven to be leading the HE-AAC encoder race, and hopefully LC-AAC in this new AAC will follow, as the ABR bug is fixed.

Also, as I mentioned - there will be an additional big surprise for audio communities, which will also add the first in the world public 2-pass AAC encoding as well as some very hot things - but about this, I will give more details later this week

Thanks for answering
What about the VBR profiles? Are they still present or are they replaced by something else (like a slider alla faac, vorbis, mpc...)? Could you be more precise about the gain speed (I know it usually depends on CPU, but an approximative % would be nice)? Is Intensity Stereo available for low-bitrate LC encodings?

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #10
To be honest, I kinda liked Nero 4 and 5 best. I had OEM Versions (and still have a Nero 6 OEM) and the reason why I always preferred Nero to WinOnCD, especially in the days of Nero 4 was the size and the functionality. I think Nero 4 was 10 MB to download. I can imagine that there are some people like me who don't need all these media thingies. I'd like to try out Nero AAC (though I don't own a DAP that supports it) and use the burning interface. I don't need a media center. I don't need Nero Video, as I use x264. To be honest, I don't even need Nero AAC, but I'd like to try it . Not that Nero's current way is a wrong one; I'm pretty sure there are people out there who like it, but I'd better like a non- bloated version, the same (burning)capabilities, but less eyecandy etc.

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #12

Thanks for answering
What about the VBR profiles? Are they still present or are they replaced by something else (like a slider alla faac, vorbis, mpc...)? Could you be more precise about the gain speed (I know it usually depends on CPU, but an approximative % would be nice)? Is Intensity Stereo available for low-bitrate LC encodings?

VBR profiles are now working as the full quality scale.  As far as the speed goes I have no exact figures here  as it has been long time I checked the old encoder out, but I'll see if I can dig something.

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #13
http://nero-mirror.com/software/Nero7/7.2....ytb.exe.torrent

Wow, 542 megabytes for an update! Sounds reasonable!
</sarcasm>

Really, aren't there smaller packages? BTW, I couldn't find the BT links on Nero's homepage.

It's 120M as noted above. Only the all languages thing is so big. BT links are in "Download Mirrors"

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #14
OK, I think I will have to correct my statement a bit. I have nothing against the installer, if it would actually work. When I unselect something, it usually means that I DON'T want it installed. Not in the Nero world:

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #15
Nero Scout ? seems like a search files function but you can disable it.

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #18
Nero Scout ? seems like a search files function but you can disable it.

Which is another reason I have to dick around with hijackthis and spybot after installing beasts like this.

Ahead's problem is they consider their bloat to not be a problem, but only in isolation. Real, Microsoft, Adobe and countless other companies assume that you want all theirs too - their startup items and 'search' bars, automatic indexing (with associated system tray icons), automatic 'updates' that remind you to buy the new version... etc. In isolation they're tolerable, but when >1 of these fat apps is installed together they hog resources and make my machine take appreciably longer to load and run stuff.

This is on top of the huge Creative audio drivers, plus the digital camera ones with their media detectors and online printing service links, printer tray applets and toner reminders, antivirus apps with their ridiculous 100mb+ installs and multiple tray icons... etc.

Ahead has great developers, I just don't like their marketing department.

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #19
Ivan, I see you cannot "fine-tune" the encoder using the Nero front-end any longer, which I see as a plus since the old dialog was buggy and confusing.
I take that the encoder triggers SBR and PS according to the target bitrate desired, but when is it actually triggered?

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #20
Great! 

2 pass mode in future?

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #21
Yes,  encoder now decides which mode is the best for the bit-rate.

SBR/PS trigger depends on few parameters, but for 44.1 kHz, Stereo it happens at:

- SBR is used for bit-rates less than 96 kbps
- PS is used for bit-rates less than 48 kbps

Nero 7.2 Released

Reply #24
EDIT.... ivan beat me to it