Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Possible to shuffle UPNP? (Read 5538 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible to shuffle UPNP?

I know it's possible to shuffle/random play from an actual music library (either local or a mapped drive). But my music is not accessible via a mapped or local drive - only UPNP server.

What I REALLY want to know is how to shuffle/random play when streaming from a UPNP server? The UPNP plug-in works GREAT, I can play all the music from my UPNP server. However, I cannot get foobar to allow it to randomly select a song from the UPNP folders.

Can't I just point to the root folder that the UPNP browser in foobar sees and then click a button that says "play a random track" and have foobar randomly pick any song from any subfolder and play it?

Do I have to build some kind of "master" play list and use that somehow? What happens when I add a new album, do I rebuild the entire playlist?

This seems like such a SIMPLE thing to do, but perhaps my lack of understanding of foobar (or UPNP) is keeping me from seeing how to do such a simple thing.

Please help!

Reply #1
I've just started playing around with this and that functionality seems to be already in there. I load up a playlist and foobar2000 plays them using shuffle or whatever I have currently set.

View > UPnP Browser > Select server and playlist > play.

From looking at the component's discussion page if the source playlist has changed, you need to (currently) restart foobar2000 to get the updated playlist - as in there's no refresh playlist feature yet.

Reply #2
I know it's possible to shuffle/random play from an actual music library (either local or a mapped drive). But my music is not accessible via a mapped or local drive - only UPNP server.

What I REALLY want to know is how to shuffle/random play when streaming from a UPNP server? The UPNP plug-in works GREAT, I can play all the music from my UPNP server. However, I cannot get foobar to allow it to randomly select a song from the UPNP folders.

What is your UPnP server ? Depending on if it is foobar2000 or another server, the answer is different.

Reply #3

What is your UPnP server ? Depending on if it is foobar2000 or another server, the answer is different.

bubbleguuum: I'm using PS3 Media Server as my UPNP server.

nevets1219: My goal is to not have to generate a playlist. I was hoping there was a way to simply browse the UPNP server and then just click on the root folder where I have all my media stored and tell foobar to just randomly select any song in any of the subfolders to play. Then when that song is over, I want it to randomly select any song from any subfolder of my media and choose another song to play.

If there's a simply way to create a gigantic, master playlist in foobar that will automatically traverse all subdirectories of my music, that wouldn't be too bad. That way I could generate an all inclusive playlist and then just use the normal shuffle/random feature in foober. Without that kind of thing, it'll take forever for me to add each and every album individually into a single playlist one at a time.

Reply #4
Library -> Search -> type "ALL" -> ... -> Create Autoplaylist

Edit: Just re-read and I see that you mean adding via the browser, although does PS3 Media Server have a way to do the same thing?

Reply #5
Library -> Search -> type "ALL" -> ... -> Create Autoplaylist

Edit: Just re-read and I see that you mean adding via the browser, although does PS3 Media Server have a way to do the same thing?

Purple Monkey - As I understand it, PS3 Media Server is more of simply a UPNP server agent that sits and listens for requests from UPNP-enabled devices. It's pretty simple - add your directories of "media" in the configuration of PS3 Media Server, and then just browse your network to find the UPNP server. There aren't even media playback controls in the PS3 Media Server UI, so I wouldn't know how you could create a playlist or where it would even be accessible from.

As far as foobar is concerned, using the UPNP plugin it simply sees the UPNP shared directory of media that is published by PS3 Media Server and then I use foobar to browse the subfolders of albums/artists. You're right - because I'm using the UPNP browser, my "Library" is actually not even configured in foobar since none of the music is on a local or shared drive.