Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus player for Android or iOS? (Read 63776 times) previous topic - next topic

Opus player for Android or iOS?

Do any Android or iOS music players support Opus?

Reply #1

Yes.
vlc-android (being a libvlc-based player) supports ".opus" files now. You have to grab APKs from here  until they release a new version.

A lot of cycles are used on my relatively low-end ARMv6-based phone (around 22-24% mono, 39% stereo). This could be caused by using the floating-point decoder implementation. Anything ARMv7-based should work better.

Reply #2

Rockbox should have it fairly soon, and the decoder implementation is integer and reasonably efficient (much optimization is still needed however).

Reply #3
vlc-android (being a libvlc-based player) supports ".opus" files now. You have to grab APKs from here  until they release a new version.

I've installed VLC (android, Cortex-A9 version) to Galaxy II with Android 4.0.3.   
Works!!! 

Reply #4
Hi, today neutron music player get updated via the google store, and it read perfectly opus files encoded with opus tool 0.15 at 128 kbps.

Reply #5
Off topic

Opus streaming radio trial of 7 channels, each at 3 bitrates, that has been running since Sept 2012 has gone unmentioned

Absolute Radio's Listen Labs Opus Streaming Trial

Really http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=808989

Why they hare three streams: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=809763

Reply #7
HD Player for iOS now supports Opus.

Reply #8
Rockbox should have it fairly soon, and the decoder implementation is integer and reasonably efficient (much optimization is still needed however).
Any info on how well it performs? From what I heard about the Opus decoder for Windows (or generally x86/x64), it is much slower than decoders for other lossy formats. On a portable device battery usage is a really important issue for an audio format.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #9
Any info on how well it performs? From what I heard about the Opus decoder for Windows (or generally x86/x64), it is much slower than decoders for other lossy formats. On a portable device battery usage is a really important issue for an audio format.

Its pretty well optimized now for ARM.  The main thing remaining is to go through an write the FFT in assembly.  Unfortunately, Opus does not use the same FFT lengths as other lossy formats, so it will need to be done from scratch.  Once thats done it should be comparable to any other lossy format.

Reply #10

This is a bit of a repeat of what I posted in a thread about audiobooks, but more on topic here.  At this point (still not considered a stable release) Opus decodes fine on my E200 sansa at 12 kb/s (speech).  It's about at the edge but works at 64 kb/s, and hangs up the controls at 128 kb/s.  I'm told there is still a lot of improvement possible.  At this point I will switch to Opus for speech but for music I'll wait.

Haven't tried it on my android tablet, but the power usage analysis shows the vast majority of power going to the display pretty much whatever I run even with wifi and GPS running, and the display goes to sleep after a few minutes if I'm just playing audio.  On that device I've been sticking with Google music as I can have everything on the cloud and specify albums to be cached locally (for when I'm out of wifi range)  and all works well... except that program is basically centered around MP3.  I may get another app that handles Opus just to try it, but I'm limited to 16 GB total local storage so I really like the cloud aspect of google music.

Reply #11
I've extrapolated battery life on my iPod Classic with Opus @ 128 kbps, at about 30 hours, vs. 32 with lossyFLAC.

Reply #12
Hi, today neutron music player get updated via the google store, and it read perfectly opus files encoded with opus tool 0.15 at 128 kbps.

That is great news. Do you know if it is fully supported? It is not listed among the supported codecs. 

Reply #14
From what I heard about the Opus decoder for Windows (or generally x86/x64), it is much slower than decoders for other lossy formats.
I ran some tests with latest foobar2000 1.2 beta 1, which now uses ffmpeg decoders for some popular lossy formats. I used presets for both lossy and lossless formats which yielded comparable bitrates (~62kbps/~700kbps). LAME didn't quite reach the desired bitrate even with V9. Here's the result:
Code: [Select]
System:
  CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2
  App: foobar2000 v1.2 beta 1
Settings:
  High priority: no
  Buffer entire file into memory: no
  Passes: 10
  Threads: 2
  Postprocessing: none
Stats by codec:
  AAC: 3960.371x realtime
  ALAC: 673.897x realtime
  FLAC: 1190.631x realtime
  MP3: 3468.749x realtime
  Musepack: 1712.903x realtime
  Opus: 409.543x realtime
  Speex: 513.438x realtime
  TAK: 875.835x realtime
  Vorbis: 2788.389x realtime
  WavPack: 537.514x realtime
Total:
  Decoded length: 1d 1:09:52.000
  Opening time: 0:00.079
  Decoding time: 3:22.789
  Speed (x realtime): 893.462
So, Opus is not even faster than Speex, with which it also competes, and at least on x86 it is considerably slower than other common lossy formats. You can also see that the new ffmpeg decoders are really blazing fast, Musepack is now third to last in lossy codecs (if you include Speex), too. Let's hope Opus decoders will see some development in the future, but seeing how Xiph steadily improved all their other formats (Vorbis,Theora), I am quite optimistic.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #15
You're basically just looking at how much x86 asm each codec has in ffmepg.

Reply #16
Kohlrabi,

The math doesn't work by itself. You need to analyze a whole system.
The math can't explain this!

For a modern mobile devices (smartphones etc.) there won't be a gain in battery life in practice  if You choose codec A that requires 6-7 MHz for realtime playback comparing to codec B (60-70 MHz) because the lowest frequency of today smartphone's proccessors is 200 MHz (Cortex A series). Something that your math can't see.
On top of that,  CPU consumes only a fraction of power because other parts like display consume comparable amount (if not more).

Reply #17
The excellent BSPlayer now supports Opus.

It's a good thing, too, because it seems like Rockbox development has stalled.

Reply #18
From what I heard about the Opus decoder for Windows (or generally x86/x64), it is much slower than decoders for other lossy formats.
I ran some tests with latest foobar2000 1.2 beta 1, which now uses ffmpeg decoders for some popular lossy formats. I used presets for both lossy and lossless formats which yielded comparable bitrates (~62kbps/~700kbps). LAME didn't quite reach the desired bitrate even with V9. Here's the result:
Code: [Select]
System:
  CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2
  App: foobar2000 v1.2 beta 1
Settings:
  High priority: no
  Buffer entire file into memory: no
  Passes: 10
  Threads: 2
  Postprocessing: none
Stats by codec:
  AAC: 3960.371x realtime
  ALAC: 673.897x realtime
  FLAC: 1190.631x realtime
  MP3: 3468.749x realtime
  Musepack: 1712.903x realtime
  Opus: 409.543x realtime
  Speex: 513.438x realtime
  TAK: 875.835x realtime
  Vorbis: 2788.389x realtime
  WavPack: 537.514x realtime
Total:
  Decoded length: 1d 1:09:52.000
  Opening time: 0:00.079
  Decoding time: 3:22.789
  Speed (x realtime): 893.462
So, Opus is not even faster than Speex, with which it also competes, and at least on x86 it is considerably slower than other common lossy formats. You can also see that the new ffmpeg decoders are really blazing fast, Musepack is now third to last in lossy codecs (if you include Speex), too. Let's hope Opus decoders will see some development in the future, but seeing how Xiph steadily improved all their other formats (Vorbis,Theora), I am quite optimistic.

Opus might not be faster, but this is not what it's competing against with Speex. It is encoding latency where opus is winning clearly, making it the perfect candidate for voip.

Reply #19
There's FreeMP which support Opus as well by using the BASS audio library from Un4Seen. It has very few functions compared to other players like PowerAmp. However thanks to the BASS library which has ARM optimised decoders on Android, the resource usage is much lower than with VLC for example.

Reply #20
I would include:

- GoneMAD Music Player, a very stable app with several options and good UI;

- AIMP (beta) which also uses the BASS library, a promising project;

- ArmAmp Music Player uses FFmpeg decoder, it is not an eye candy but has interesting and useful options;

Cheers 
loquor mee menti: factus de materia, cinis elementi...

Reply #21
GoneMAD was lagging with Opus on my Nexus 5, at least while i was on the move and listening to music on my Bluetooth headunit in my car.
Also it made my JVC headunit's calling ability crazy. Sometimes it made redial the last number when i finished the calling and was sure it was GoneMad because i could reproduce the problem more than once if GoneMad is running. I haven't tried it though lately.

Thanks for mentioning AIMP, i didn't know they are working on an Android version. My biggest issue with FreeMP is that it doesn't allow controlling the player from the headunit but looks like AIMP already supports that. Also i'm missing Replaygain. Don't know if AIMP is supporting it already.

Reply #22
- I have an old GT-I9100 which I use exclusively as a media player, so I can not reproduce the same problem occurred with you.
  Did you try increasing the audio buffer and enabe high priority receiver in settings?

- Sadly, AIMP not support ReplayGain for now, maybe future versions.

Good Luck 

Reply #23
You can run DeaDBeeF on Android.  It is a Linux player along the same lines as Foobar, but less features.

Reply #24
You can run DeaDBeeF on Android. It is a Linux player along the same lines as Foobar, but less features.

Ah, yes! DeaDBeeF is an excellent audio player, undoubtedly.
But the Android version does not support Opus format.
Not long ago I made a request to the DeadBeef's developer, Alexey Yakovenko, according to their response support for Opus is not in his plans at the moment.