Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Future of digital music distribution. (Read 12873 times) previous topic - next topic

Future of digital music distribution.

Reply #25
A reminder:
The human perception is limited somehow around 20 bit/44.1-48 kHz, so that 24/48 is already overkill, .....[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374730"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Does all this mean that conversion “24/96=>16/44=>lossless” is still the best way for delivering high quality audio content via Net?
keeping audio clear together - soundexpert.org

Reply #26
24/96 -> 24/48

I estimate, that 24/96 downsampled to 24/48 flac/wavpack eg., sounds like the best compromise regarding quality and filesize.
24/96 downsampling to 16/44.1 results to downsampling issues (because of 96->44.1),
the next best step avoiding 96->44.1 would be:

24/96 down to 16/48

btw., I don't know what's your problem transmitting 24/96 via net, my lan and wlan at office and home doesn't have problems with Lossless music playing.
even 10 Mbit lan should be sufficient with 24/96 stereo uncompressed?

Reply #27
Well, IMHO lossy encodes should be used for promotional purposes.
My label's artists are forced - by contract - to put whole albums on their official website. To prevent piracy it must be a chained ogg @ q-1/32KHz/mono.

We use lossless for storing & distribution (we professionally burn CDs on-demand).
We're planning to turn music stores into "burning points", so people can grab phisical CDs without expedition costs. To achieve this we want use a private P2P network (reserved for certain static IPs) based on BitTorrent.

This is the FORART way.

Reply #28
24/96 downsampling to 16/44.1 results to downsampling issues (because of 96->44.1),
the next best step avoiding 96->44.1 would be:

Which re-sampling issues? Please specify what detrimental effect re-sampling 96kHz-->44.1kHz in Adobe Audition has upon the signal, for example. Or are you referring to a theoretical problem[which has not been demonstrated to be an issue concerning audibility when using good re-sampling software]?

-Chris

Reply #29
24/96 -> 24/48

I estimate, that 24/96 downsampled to 24/48 flac/wavpack eg., sounds like the best compromise regarding quality and filesize.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375739"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In fact, conversion “24/96=>16/44.1=>lossless” could be considered as a block diagram of a lossy encoder consisting of two bit reduction blocks – lossy (24/96=>16/44.1) and lossless. The lossy stage usually includes low-pass filtering, interpolation and psychoacoustic correction (dithering) of input signal. At the final stage reduced data is compressed losslessly.  This “encoder” is simple and really guarantees very good perceived audio quality. The same time I’m pretty sure that conversion “24/96=>lossy” by any modern psychoacoustic coder could preserve more quality (more perceived quality margin) with less bitrate than the one described.

btw., I don't know what's your problem transmitting 24/96 via net ...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375739"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No problem at all. This is all about distribution of high quality audio content over the internet.
keeping audio clear together - soundexpert.org