Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 642280 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #425
...this post

Here is quick and dirty tip:
1. winecfg > libraries > comctl32 - native
2. foobar2000, then change advanced settings
3. winecfg > libraries > comctl32 - builtin

I don't know how I missed that, sorry, it was in response to the exact same problem I have. Unfortunately the fix didn't work for me. If I changed it after launching foobar the problem persisted, & if I changed it before then foobar wouldn't launch. I don't understand where the native library is supposed to come from, or be put. I do have a Windows licence, but it's not on this machine. I did add a copy of the native Windows comctl32.dll to the foobar directory, but then when I applied the native setting, Wine broke. I had to find & hand edit the registry before I could use Wine again.

Anyway, upgrading to latest stable Wine 1.2.3 didn't help, but moving to beta 1.3.34 fixed the field edit problem!

As a simpler & safe workaround, for anyone who doesn't want to use beta (development) software, they could ask here for someone to post the entire default contents of the appropriate field so they can edit, & re-enter the whole thing.

Images uploaded to IPB are linked dynamically via PHP, rather than by a static link to the physical file; these cannot be placed inline

Is that a recent change? I've done it before. Or is it that Preview Post doesn't inline, but it will appear when Add Reply is pressed?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #426
I think that native fix also requires you to copy in a comctl32.dll from Windows XP.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #427
I tried that, but either I used the wrong version (there's two - a re-distributable v5.8 for 9x, & a v6 for XP / 7 for which there doesn't seem to be a re-distributable), or I put it in the wrong place. Whichever I did wrong caused Wine to stop working. I put v5.8 in the same directory as the foobar executable.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #428
Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Name=foobar2000
GenericName=Music Player
Comment=Plays music
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe"
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon=/*path-to*/foobar2000.png
Categories=AudioVideo;Wine
MimeType=inode/directory;application/x-cue;application/x-ogg;application/ogg;audio/x-vorbis+ogg;audio/x-scpls;audio/x-mp3;audio/x-mpeg;audio/mpeg;audio/x-mpegurl;audio/x-flac;audio/x-aiff;audio/x-ms-wma;audio/x-wav

X-Ayatana-Desktop-Shortcuts=Play-Pause;Stop;Previous;Next

[Play-Pause Shortcut Group]
Name=Play/Pause
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe" /playpause
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[Stop Shortcut Group]
Name=Stop
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe" /stop
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[Previous Shortcut Group]
Name=Previous
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe" /prev
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[Next Shortcut Group]
Name=Next
Exec=wine "/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe" /next
TargetEnvironment=Unity
Thank you for the launcher update.  This works well giving us unity extensions, resolves some issues with wine icons, and eliminates the need for the /usr/bin/foobar2000 file.  However I have run into a small issue.  I can use a path such as:
wine "/home/username/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe"
However paths like this do not work:
wine "~/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe"

Is there a solution to sharing one .desktop package across multiple users so that each user can maintain their own foobar settings?  I was hoping that ~ would translate in the .desktop file but it does not.  Do we need to further integrate foobar as a shared program and maintain separate wine profiles for each user to make this happen and still get the benefits of unity integration?

Also, this bit seems to break compatibility with avant-window-navigator launcher:
Support for drag&drop of file(s) or folder(s) on launcher icon for defined mimetypes by changing Exec line to:

Exec=sh -c "echo -n %F | sed 's/ \//\x0z:\//g;s/^/z:/' | xargs -0 wine '/*path-to*/foobar2000.exe'"

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #429
Yoshua, I'm not sure if I understand you
I use single user environment and my foobar2000.desktop file is in ~/.local/share/applications/

For multiple users sharing same .desktop file I'd try this:
- copy foobar2000.png in pixmaps folder so that it's available to all users and for icon simply set "foobar2000"
- put .desktop file in /usr/share/applications/ so that all users can access it
- for exec line use "\$HOME" ("$" is escaped with backslash) as substitute to "~"

also there seems to be a better way then sed now that I know about winepath (for your example):

Exec=sh -c "winepath -w0 %F | xargs -0 wine \$HOME/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe"

Also, this bit seems to break compatibility with avant-window-navigator launcher

Can you elaborate on this?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #430
I was under the impression that the entire /usr/share/ branch was for sharing resources between users. So to add an exec line that directly points to a single user's path would be bad practice, other users would not have access to the target even though the .desktop package would be available to all users.  I use the file /usr/share/applications/foobar2000.desktop and am trying to figure out a way to incorporate your additions using the setup outlined in the original post.

If I use this line, foobar launches properly (original post, uses /usr/bin/foobar2000 script)
however, AWN displays a second foobar icon while its running and Unity shows an annoying wine icon:
Exec=foobar2000

If I use this line, foobar launches properly.. only for the single user, but AWN and Unity handle the icons properly
I also like removing the dependency on the foobar2000 script:
Exec=wine "/home/username/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe"

This line launches foobar, but again only for the single user. I dont get the ugly wine icon in unity, but it breaks AWN:
Exec=sh -c "echo -n %F | sed 's/ \//\x0z:\//g;s/^/z:/' | xargs -0 wine '/home/username/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe'"

This line launches foobar, but then I'm back to the double icon in AWN and the ugly wine icon in unity:
Exec=sh -c "winepath -w0 %F | xargs -0 wine \$HOME/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe"

If I use either of these lines, foobar does not launch:
Exec=wine "~/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe"
Exec=wine ~/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe
Exec=wine "\$HOME/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe"
Exec=wine \$HOME/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe

As for AWN "breaking" .. my launcher icons turn to a sad face like this:

** (awn-applet:15589): WARNING **: desktop-entry-impl-glib.vala:224: Error trying to retrieve 'Exec': Key file contains key 'Exec' which has value that cannot be interpreted.

Afterthoughts.... perhaps it would be better to either:

1) Keep foobar user-specific and move all the files into the user folder the way you seem to be running it
-or-
2) Move all of foobar out of the user folder and into a shared location.  But then I'd need to figure out how to manage individual users' settings.  One foobar upgrade would hit all users, etc.
... wine user profiles .. could probably install foobar on an nfs share, one upgrade would hit all machines on the lan .. hrmm... deserves investigation

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #431
Sorry Yotsuya, but I really don't understand what are you after

I was under the impression that the entire /usr/share/ branch was for sharing resources between users. So to add an exec line that directly points to a single user's path would be bad practice, other users would not have access to the target even though the .desktop package would be available to all users.  I use the file /usr/share/applications/foobar2000.desktop and am trying to figure out a way to incorporate your additions using the setup outlined in the original post.

Why did you wanted resolution for "~/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe" (so that other users would have access from single .desktop file) while not all users share same path for foobar2000 (under their home profile)?

If I use either of these lines, foobar does not launch:
Exec=wine "\$HOME/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe"
Exec=wine \$HOME/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe

Works here as expected

For your AWN issues, I don't know... seems like you have problems with it, I don't use it but was curious what was your problem
On Unity everything is as expected. I expect the same with Gnome 3/Ghome Shell sidebar and KDE panel (or whatever is used there) as they all follow same .desktop specification

Have a look here for other mentioned problems: http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-e...test/index.html

Cheers

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #432
For what it's worth, I moved the .desktop package to:
~/.local/share/applications/foobar2000.desktop

And the icon to:
~/.local/share/icons/foobar2000.png

Then modified the .desktop to this:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=foobar2000
GenericName=Music Player
Comment=Plays music
Exec=wine .foobar2000/foobar2000.exe
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon=foobar2000.png
Categories=AudioVideo;Wine
MimeType=inode/directory;application/x-cue;application/x-ogg;application/ogg;audio/x-vorbis+ogg;audio/x-scpls;audio/x-mp3;audio/x-mpeg;audio/mpeg;audio/x-mpegurl;audio/x-flac;audio/x-aiff;audio/x-ms-wma;audio/x-wav

X-Ayatana-Desktop-Shortcuts=Play-Pause;Stop;Previous;Next

[Play-Pause Shortcut Group]
Name=Play/Pause
Exec=wine ".foobar2000/foobar2000.exe" /playpause
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[Stop Shortcut Group]
Name=Stop
Exec=wine ".foobar2000/foobar2000.exe" /stop
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[Previous Shortcut Group]
Name=Previous
Exec=wine ".foobar2000/foobar2000.exe" /prev
TargetEnvironment=Unity

[Next Shortcut Group]
Name=Next
Exec=wine ".foobar2000/foobar2000.exe" /next
TargetEnvironment=Unity
And all is working well.  I still couldn't get $HOME to work but this is all probably a cleaner setup for per-user foobar.  Now if only I could edit the first post

I'll have to explore alternative methods for sharing foobar across multiple users, this should be doable with wine user profiles and installing foobar in standard mode instead of portable.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #433
How do I enable Hardware Acceleration Emulation in wine-1.3.35? Config has changed completely on the Audio tab. It used to look like this, whereas now it's like this.

Since moving to wine-1.3.35 I've been experiencing audio lock-ups, which in 1.2.2 & 1.2.3 I had fixed by setting Hardware Acceleration to Emulation. Is this still possible?

I know removing PulseAudio is suggested for this problem, but that doesn't seem to be simple, or even a guaranteed fix, so I'd rather avoid it.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #434
I thought the new sound system was modeled after Windows Vista and newer, so acceleration doesn't even matter now?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #435
I suppose being as no one seems to have ever pinned down what the exact cause of the sound lock-ups are, what you're saying is quite possible.

Unfortunately that was a workaround which solved the problem for me, & it doesn't seem to be available any more. I've tried changing settings on the new Audio tab, & anything other than default kills sound altogether, along with freezing foobar.

I guess now that I've solved this problem I could copy & paste the defaults into a text file, uninstall the Wine beta, remove their repository from my sources, & reinstall the stable version, then set it up from my text file...

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #436
Under Wine 1.3.35, as well as continual audio lock-ups, foobar was crashing frequently during tag editing.

I saved the contents of Preferences>Advanced>Display>Properties dialog>Standard fields to a text file, in case I need to change it again, & reverted to Wine 1.2.3. I won't be able to report Wine bugs (they insist on you running the latest dev version) but foobar is working as I want it!

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #437
Today I upgraded my Fedora15 to wine 1.3.35: as a result sound stopped working.

After a bit of tinkering, I discovered that in winecfg the only device available under Sound was (System default) and Test Sound did nothing (but running winecfg as root was giving me all the correct options). I even tried adding the user to the audio, pulse and pulse-access groups, but no joy.

After another bit of tinkering, it turned out that running regedit and changing

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/wine/drivers/Audio

from pulse to alsa (or removing the drivers key altogether, as it only contained that value in my case) seems to fix the issue.

Alessandro

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #438
I'm running foobar2000 via wine 1.3.36 under Ubuntu 11.04.

My sound is managed by pulseaudio and everything works fine without having to configure anything.
foobar2000 sometimes crashes, but this is very rare.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #439
changing HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/wine/drivers/Audio
from pulse to alsa (or removing the drivers key altogether, as it only contained that value in my case) seems to fix the issue.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't looked into the registry.

My working foobar + Wine 1.2.3 has the "Audio" key set to "alsa" & HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DirectSound\HardwareAccelleration is "Emulation". Might well come in handy to know that in future.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #440
CMYK colourspace JPEG causes crash?

This album art (for this album) causes an instant foobar crash for me. I de-interlaced it with imagemagick but it still crashed foobar, so I changed it to RGB instead & that was fine. I tried another CMYK JPEG & that also crashed foobar. foobar handles a greyscale JPEG fine.

I expect it's a Wine problem (CMYK JPEGs don't display properly in Exifer under Wine, although they don't crash it) but is anyone able to test in Windows?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #441
Works here (jpg from Wikipedia). Windows 7, fb2k 1.1.11, CUI & DUI.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #442
Maybe that's because you aren't using WINE? Just a thought....

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #443
well duh. he's simply responding to a request in the previous post. you should read it...

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #444
Oops. Sorry. Missed the last line......

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #445

Thanks for checking. That makes it a Wine problem. The dev version of Wine was too unstable for me last time I tried it, so I can't check if it's been fixed, or report it if it hasn't, but it's not a big problem, & is easy to work around.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #446
an answer about how everything runs fine under Windows 7 is a bit tangential.
Not really. It was what I needed to know. This thread is the only support for foobar+Wine users on HA - it's not officially supported. If the bug had been with foobar I would have reported it, but I don't have access to Windows just now. This was the only way I could identify the exact problem.

edit: oops, sorry, missed your latest reply! All cleared up now.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #447
Could someone do me a favour please, & post the default contents of Preferences>Advanced>Standard sort patterns. I'd like to edit it, but due to a Wine bug1,2,3, I can't, without a copy to start with.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #448
file path=%path_sort%;artist=%artist%|%date%;album=%album%|%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;track number=%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;title=%title%

btw: using wine 1.45rc5-1 i can't reproduce said bug

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #449
Thanks for that!

btw: using wine 1.45rc5-1 i can't reproduce said bug
No, they fixed it, but foobar's too unstable for me with the last newer version I tried (see this post & the following three). I might give it a go again soon, seeing as the version number has moved on a bit, but a minor config edit problem is less bother to me than sound lock-ups & tag editing crashes!