Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HOW TO: Rating Songs In Foobar (Read 87511 times) previous topic - next topic

HOW TO: Rating Songs In Foobar

Reply #50
Does this Load rate's from other players?

P.S » I have already followed these steps and doesn't work the hotkey ''ALT+CTRL+1'' and the search.

Please I need this .

Reply #51
Hi everybody

Thanks for a great guide! Anyway, I know that this issue has already been discussed here, but is there any way how to make the rating truly global? I.e. able to be read by other players and on other PCs? I listen to flac files only, therefore enabling such feature for the flac format is priority to me. However, I guess others would benefit from enabling "global ratings" also in mp3 and other formats.

Coding is not my cup of tea, therefore my question may sound a bit silly after you already discussed this topic, but I would be really grateful if you could help me to solve this issue!

Thanks a lot for your answers/suggestions!

Reply #52
Thanks a lot sitalchauhan, works great. 

Reply #53
Thanks for this. Pretty useful!

Reply #54
sitalchauhan, thanks for the guide dude!

Everything works for me. The script runs, the rating is put into the ID3 tag, etc. But the only thing that doesn't work is the dots showing the rating I give a song.

I put everything in one screen cap so you can tell me if maybe I set something up wrong.

Reply #55
sitalchauhan, thanks for the guide dude!

Everything works for me. The script runs, the rating is put into the ID3 tag, etc. But the only thing that doesn't work is the dots showing the rating I give a song.

I put everything in one screen cap so you can tell me if maybe I set something up wrong.

Reply #56
Thanks, great feature addon. I got that far that I was able to rate songs via kb. shortcuts, but then I run to a problem.

When I'm listening music as blind (using another program or display turned off) this shortcuts won't rate playing track but currently selected track instead. What's the use of having global shortcuts to rate tracks if I need to turn monitor on just to select playing track so that I would't rate wrong track (selected one) over and over again?

Ok, I found one workaround. I made another global shortcut to "View / Show now playing". So, now when I want to rate track which is playing (without watching Foobar window) I press that shortcut first, which selects playing track and then another shortcut to rate it.
Now, is that possible to do this with single key combination? I can't imagine other way than adding shortcut to run two other shortcuts in row -but foobar doesn't have that option.. and I don't have skills to make such script myself (if that would be solution).

myspace.com/savojr
myspace.com/teevr
a.33e.biz

Reply #57
Chances are you simply selected the wrong command. Make sure to choose the one with the root [context / now playing] when setting up keyboard shortcuts.

Reply #58
Chances are you simply selected the wrong command. Make sure to choose the one with the root [context / now playing] when setting up keyboard shortcuts.

Yes, you are right. I made those to [context / playlist].  Thx!
Funny, I wasn't aware that they were available at multiple locations. Maybe because preferences window is not scalable and it isn't possible to see very much settings at the same time, I added shortcuts from BOTH locations.
Rate 1 was from correct context, rest were from [context / playlist]...

Now this works perfectly. Good thing is also that playlist can be sorted by stars simply by clicking columns name. Something that Spotify can't do. It can also handle only one star or nothing.

myspace.com/savojr
myspace.com/teevr
a.33e.biz

Reply #59
First of all, MANY thanks for this tutorial.
It is just what i've been craving for years!

Now I'm interested if there is an player for Android OS, which is able to read/write ratings into file, just like this in foobar?
I find someone to be able to read them, but none is able to write them and keep them stored inside the files itself..

What are you guys using to listen music on Android while maintaining ratings inside files?

Reply #60
Thank you for the (already quite old) script. I only found it today. I don't understand why the makers of Foobar still did not add such an  essential (!!) and common feature like star ratings into the original program. In nowadays huge libraries with probably many thousands of tracks and songs star rating is absolutely essential to keep a kind of overview. I still hope that one day it will be part of a future version of Foobar, I'd instantly donate money once they add it.
Till then, I will use this little and very useful script. I have defined a simple "1" - "5" shortcut for applying the ratings. Simple and effective....

Thank you!

Bernie

Reply #61
Sorry to bump an old thread,  but I can't get this to work

Looking for some help, is anyone able to assist?

Basically I am using default view in foobar (not columnUI), i have masstagger installed successuflly, have done the ratings field correct, have added scripts, when I give a song a rating it fails to show accordingly in the playlist rating column (it stays empty with 5 empty circles). I do see a window popup and close very quickly everytime I add.

I think this next info may help ascertain what's going wrong/on.

I have one song that is successfully showing 5 full circles filled. If i right click the track and go Properties, the Metadata rating is empty but if I click the 'Properites' tab it shows I have a 5 star rating in their :S (under Playback Statistics).

So it seems my 'Rating' Column is reading from the file properties rather than metadata... right? How to fix this?

Cheers,

BB

Reply #62
Guys, I'm sorry for popping up the old topic, but I strongly need your help  Anyone managed to make it work with single FLAC + cue file? I've found it working well with mp3 and separate (per song) FLACs. But for cumulative FLAC + cue it does not work  I've tried with both: foo_masstag and foo_quicktag. Are there any other tricks? Thanks!

Re: HOW TO: Rating Songs In Foobar

Reply #63
What is the method to achieve this? The OP (original poster) in the first post 'here is the pic' but I can't see any pic.
Basically I want a way to keep the rating in the ID3 tag instead of a separate database so that when I transfer music between my computers the ratings can be maintained. 
OP also says his method doesn't need a separate database 
I noticed that you could sync the statistics database with the tags, but I prefer my above method so that there is no extra database involved, its all in the id3 tags only
I'd like this feature, can someone please help. I know this thread is 9 years old but my problem is related to this so I'm posting it here.
Thanks for reading and helping :)