Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pioneer DVR-110/111 D/(or other letters) and firmwares (Read 6461 times) previous topic - next topic

Pioneer DVR-110/111 D/(or other letters) and firmwares

After reading a number of reviews and posts about different DVD burners over the last month I decided to go with the Pioneer DVR-111D.  I just got it today and it has v1.23 firmware.  I've downloaded the v1.29 firmware but haven't updated it yet.

In reading about the Pioneer I came across several posts talking about flashing a 110 or 111 'D' unit with different firmwares to either change the 'D' to something else or remove it altogether.  I know a 111 model is newer than a 110, but I don't know what any of the letter designations mean or why I might want to consider doing any type of firmware updating other than just a 'regular' version update (like 1.23 to 1.29).  If anyone familiar with the Pioneer units could chime in and explain what the purpose is of some of these 'other' firmware flashes I would appreciate it.

If it helps, I won't be doing any ripping with it, I plan on using the unit for writing only.

Thanks.

Reply #1
I have the 110D AND 111D. I crossflashed the 110D to 110, which only nets you DVD-RAM writing (and booktype setting for +R media, depending on which firmware you grab). Doing 111D to 111L nets you DVD+R booktype setting, DVD-RAM writing, and Labelflash support.

For the 111D to 111L, I flashed to 8.19 EXT (Buffalo-External) *, (yes, EXTERNAL, which oddly enough works better than INT on an internal drive) and then to 8.29 EXT (Buffalo-External).  You MUST do the flash to 8.19 first.
http://tdb.rpc1.org/#DVR111

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll have to consult Google to find out what booktype & labelflash mean unless you don't mind explaining further.  I don't mind looking it up, so no biggie either way.

Reply #3
LabelFlash is the competitor to Lightscribe, a type of media where you can "burn" labels onto special disks. Oh, and it also supports Disc T@2, which is sort of stupid. You can look it up on Wikipedia.

Booktype is basically that +R media can have a bit set so it looks like a normal DVD-ROM, thus increasing compatibility (to an extent) with standalones.