Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New iPods are out (Read 77992 times) previous topic - next topic

New iPods are out

nice is all I can see (lol I mean say). If sound quality is the same as 5g then I will get the "classic" version with 160GB. that will finally store all my music colletion

http://www.apple.com/

ahh dam it just got one. for £200 and 160GB I am happy now. I also engraved it with: My music is best understood by children and animals.

I listen to some weird stuff

New iPods are out

Reply #1
Apple either refreshed or added to entire iPod lineup today! Also $200 off now on 8GB iPhone ($399 instead of $599)!

iPod touch is a real winner (with Wifi), and also the new iTunes Wifi Music Store is nice (for iPod touch and iPhones). Now you can make ringtones for 99 cents too!

Starbucks giving free Wifi access in their stores if using the iTunes Wifi Music store.

Way to go Apple!

Update: Steve Jobs now announced he is giving $100 in Apple store credit to all previous iPhone purchasers as a goodwill "gesture".

See:  http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

New iPods are out

Reply #2
Was just about to post the information mainly because I also have a question: the "old" 5.5G iPod Video players supported gapless playback together with the 2G Nanos. While I see "Skip-free playback" as feature of the new Nanos, it does not appear for the iPod Touch nor for iPod Classic. Does this mean that the "big" iPods lost the gapless playback feature?
Also, is the Shuffle a new series or did they just change colors? I see that the new Shuffles also support "Skip-free playback" now. Any idea if this can be added via firmware update to existing 2G Shuffles?

New iPods are out

Reply #3
I sincerely doubt it.  I think it's just that the Nanos and Shuffles didn't have it before, so it's a new feature.  As the 6g iPod Classic and the iPod Touch are the siblings of the 5.5 generation, they inherit their feature set, i.e. gapless playback.

New iPods are out

Reply #5
and dont forget 160GB ipod classic is cheap    compared to when I got my 60GB 5G one

New iPods are out

Reply #6
Just ordered a 160 GB ipod, even though the new zune is just supposed to be around the corner. At this point, i sincerely doubt that ANYTHING microsoft can come up with will be able to match what apple has just done. The rumors claim that the new zune will have 80 gb hard drive-- which apple has had for quite some time now, and new zune "flash" based ones, which would have to be pretty friggin great to match up to the nano. I think microsoft's "zune" is now beyond hope.

New iPods are out

Reply #7
I sincerely doubt it.  I think it's just that the Nanos and Shuffles didn't have it before, so it's a new feature.  As the 6g iPod Classic and the iPod Touch are the siblings of the 5.5 generation, they inherit their feature set, i.e. gapless playback.

2G Nano had it - like I said in my post which you obviously didn't read.

New iPods are out

Reply #8
Can someone workout the Low frequency cutoff of the new ipod @ 32ohm headphone?

New iPods are out

Reply #9
can somebody help me convince my wife that 900 pesos for an iPhone is a good investment?

New iPods are out

Reply #10
Was just about to post the information mainly because I also have a question: the "old" 5.5G iPod Video players supported gapless playback together with the 2G Nanos. While I see "Skip-free playback" as feature of the new Nanos, it does not appear for the iPod Touch nor for iPod Classic. Does this mean that the "big" iPods lost the gapless playback feature?
Also, is the Shuffle a new series or did they just change colors? I see that the new Shuffles also support "Skip-free playback" now. Any idea if this can be added via firmware update to existing 2G Shuffles?

I am not sure about gapless playback for these newer devices.  I would think that the 3G iPod nano and 1G iPod classic have gapless playback like their previous models.  Both the new nano and iPod classic run a very similar (if not the same) firmware.  The nano has the processor power for cover flow so I imagine it would more than have the processor power for gapless playback.  As for the iPod touch, I am completely unaware and have not guesses about that as I don't know audio playback specs of the iPhone.  If the iPhone has gapless audio playback then I imagine the iPod touch would as well.

I think the big surprise from all the announcements today was the $350 160GB iPod classic with 40 hours of audio playback time and 7 hours of video playback time.  That is about $2.18 per GB, a cost that hasn't been seen in quite a bit of time.  160GB would be more than enough for some people to carry around their entire lossy or lossless libraries.  With a 40 hour battery life, one could afford to lose 1/2 of that to listen to Apple lossless audio.  I ordered my 160GB black iPod classic today.

I would have ordered the iPod touch but I think it is just too expensive, too early, and there isn't enough storage capacity.  I realize that they are using NAND flash memory to fill the iPod touch and that is what makes it rather pricey (not to mention the display and wi-fi antenna) and that is also what limits their storage capacity but 16GB is just not enough to cut it for me.  I also realize that if Apple added a hard drive to the iPod touch that it would be ridiculously thick as they would of had to add a much larger battery to get anywhere near 20 hours of audio playback.

I think the iPod touch is the future of iPods in that they will switch to a all flash memory system offering up touch screens, internet browsing, etc.  I will just wait two years before purchasing a iPod like that.  My 160GB iPod classic will more than last me as it is more than enough space for me to fit my full lossy library, music videos, movies, TV shows, and photos.  Not to mention that I think it looks pretty slick and a lot more durable than the older 5G/5.5G iPods.

New iPods are out

Reply #11
Of course they have gapless playback.

New iPods are out

Reply #12

I had a 4 G nano hdd and a shuffle, both first generation that didn't support gapless.
I have a 4 G nano flash, second generation that already supports gapless.

New iPods are out

Reply #13

I had a 4 G nano hdd and a shuffle, both first generation that didn't support gapless.
I have a 4 G nano flash, second generation that already supports gapless.

Actually, all iPod nanos use flash memory.  Apple released the 1G iPod mini and 2G iPod mini (a year later), both of those used hard drives.  Then Apple came out with the 1G iPod nano and 2G iPod nano (again, a year later) both of which used flash memory.  Now the 3G iPod nano continues that flash memory trend.

As for the iPod shuffle (since I forgot to comment about them in my other post), I have a 2G shuffle and I don't think it has gapless audio playback.  That is not what the iPod shuffle is marketed towards anyway.

Edit:  Here is a time line for the smaller iPods:
2003 - 1G iPod mini (HDD based), it came in only one 4GB size.
2004 - 2G iPod mini (HDD based), it came in both 4GB and 6GB sizes.
2005 - 1G iPod nano (NAND flash based), it 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB sizes.
2006 - 2G iPod nano (NAND flash based) in 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB sizes.
2007 - 3G iPod nano (NAND flash) in 4GB and 8GB capacities.

New iPods are out

Reply #14
Guys, I don't think "skip-free playback" has anything to do with gapless. I think it just means it's flash-based, so you can jog/exercise with them as opposed to the hard drive models.

New iPods are out

Reply #15
I can't believe Apple is charging for ringtones. That's ludicrous. I can make my own ringtones for free for phones that can't even do video, and I get way better selection too.

New iPods are out

Reply #16
Hi guys.

About new iPods: what are their S/N ratio and Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)?
Are they still use the Wolfson Dac (24 bit like the Wolfson Wm8750S in Teclast players?)?

Thanks

New iPods are out

Reply #17
I can't believe Apple is charging for ringtones. That's ludicrous. I can make my own ringtones for free for phones that can't even do video, and I get way better selection too.

the ones charging are the music labels. They want us to belive that a ring tone is a totally different thing from the song you just bought. And even more. Most of the ringtones sell for 3 or 4 dollars.

New iPods are out

Reply #18
I'm very dissapointed that there isn't a hard disc based iPod touch.

My 80 GB 5th gen iPod is nearly full, but I want to upgrade to something with a bigger screen. I don't really want to get an iPod classic 160 GB, because they will possibly introduce a hard disc based touch, and then I'll want that!

New iPods are out

Reply #19
can somebody help me convince my wife that 900 pesos for an iPhone is a good investment?

...and how are you gonna use it in Arg?  I'd be interested to know...
apparently disabling the subsidy lock involves high precision hardware skills ... wanna do two of them? :-)

Guys, I don't think "skip-free playback" has anything to do with gapless. I think it just means it's flash-based, so you can jog/exercise with them as opposed to the hard drive models.

Correct.

the ones charging are the music labels. They want us to belive that a ring tone is a totally different thing from the song you just bought. And even more. Most of the ringtones sell for 3 or 4 dollars.

Incredible...and some people keep buying them... who would have said the labels would start making less money on expensive  recordings on CDs...and start making money with ridiculous monophonic tones?  :-D

Gonza

New iPods are out

Reply #20
I'll be picking up a 160GB Classic this weekend, can't wait to fit even more music I'll never listen to on it

New iPods are out

Reply #22
And again, the prices in euros are ridiculous compared to those in US dollars. The 8GB nano sells in France for €174,75 (€209 tax-inclusive), which, at the current rate, is equivalent to $238.49 / $285.27, versus $199 (tax-exclusive) in the US.
The 8GB iPod Touch sells for €258.36 / €309 ($352.36 / $421.66) versus $299 (tax-exlusive), and the 16GB sells for €341.97 / €409 ($466.69 / $558.16), versus $399 (tax-exlusive).

New iPods are out

Reply #23
I don't suppose these new ipods play FLAC files, do they?