Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Still no Mac frontend for Wavpack? (Read 4930 times) previous topic - next topic

Still no Mac frontend for Wavpack?

Or am I overlooking something?

Reply #1
MAC's frontend can use WavPack (in fact, a copy of WavPack is bundled with MAC). It's listed in the help file under Interface Reference > Compression Modes > External > Lossless > WavPack. To compress using WavPack, click the drop down arrow next to the compression level in MAC and select External > WavPack > Fast/Normal/High. Then you can encode your file(s) exactly as you would using Monkey's.

Reply #2
I thought he meant Mac like this...? And I don't think there's any Monkey's Audio GUI for OS X. (Nor do I know of any for WavPack, but then I just don't know.....)
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #3
I thought he meant Mac like this...? And I don't think there's any Monkey's Audio GUI for OS X. (Nor do I know of any for WavPack, but then I just don't know.....)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320159"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ahh, my mistake. There's a Wavpack binary for OS X, but no frontend GUI.

Reply #4
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320164"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The latest versions of [a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xACT-users/]xACT[/url] include limited WavPack support (lossless format only and choice of high or low compression) and have shntool's WavPack version check disabled thus negating WavPack 4's incompatibility.

EDIT: xACT has of course had APE support for quite a while now.

Reply #5
Excuse my ignorance, i dont use MAC's but i wondering what audio players  you are using to play wavpack.
It took me ages to find a plugin for linux to playback wavpack, ive not even started to look at ripping yet. i digress..

but it does seem that for such an excellent open source format its amazingly overlooked on platforms other than windows.

why is this?

Reply #6
Excuse my ignorance, i dont use MAC's but i wondering what audio players  you are using to play wavpack.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://cogosx.sourceforge.net/]Cog[/url] or xist (sorry, can't find a working link)

Reply #7
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320164"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The latest versions of [a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xACT-users/]xACT[/url] include limited WavPack support (lossless format only and choice of high or low compression) and have shntool's WavPack version check disabled thus negating WavPack 4's incompatibility.

EDIT: xACT has of course had APE support for quite a while now.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320214"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I actually tried xACT for wavpack ripping once and the results were atrocious.  Definitely not lossless.  Even posted on their yahoo forums and was told that the kinks still need to be worked out for the wavpack support.

So, for now, their still isn't a "stable" Mac frontend for the best lossless codec.