Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I'm confused! (Read 2593 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm confused!

I'm a total newbe at this. I'm ripping classical music from CD's to an iRiver 340 using EAC and LAME and can't seem to get the music to show up in the iRiver directory tree as it is on the CD. I've tried Copy Selected Tracks, Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet, and Copy Selected Tracks Index-Based and none of them give me what I want. What I do want is for each ripped CD to be in its own seperate folder with each selection playable in the order it is on the original CD, e.g., first movement, second movement, etc. But I also want to be able to select and play an individual movement if necessary. In other words, I want to have the choice of playing the work in order straight through from the beginning or selecting any individual movement.

If I view the iRiver hard drive directory when it's connected to my computer I do have an .m3u file that I can select to play the entire CD rip in order through the computer but it doesn't show up when the player is running on its own.

I know there's got to be a way to do this and I would deeply appreciate any advice any forum participants would be willing to offer, either directly or on this forum. This is all new to me.

Many thanks in advance.

G. Lyle

I'm confused!

Reply #1
directory tree as it is on the CD. I've tried Copy Selected Tracks, Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet, and Copy Selected Tracks Index-Based and none of them give me what I want. What I do want is for each ripped CD to be in its own seperate folder with each selection playable in the order it is on the original CD, e.g., first movement, second movement, etc. But I also want to be able to select and play an individual movement if necessary. In other words, I want to have the choice of playing the work in order straight through from the beginning or selecting any individual movement.

With EAC use "Copy Selected Tracks", and check the "EAC options-->filename": you can create subdirectories for each album and include the %N in the filename so that the tracks are created in the same order as on CD. For example:
Code: [Select]
%C\%N - %A - %T

If I view the iRiver hard drive directory when it's connected to my computer I do have an .m3u file that I can select to play the entire CD rip in order through the computer but it doesn't show up when the player is running on its own.

This must be a problem of your iRiver. Are you sure it supports m3u playlists?
Sorry, I can't help you with iRiver.

I'm confused!

Reply #2
That looks like it might be the solution. Thanks!

According to the iRiver manual I have to use something like WinAMP to set up playlists.

G. Lyle

I'm confused!

Reply #3
According to the iRiver manual I have to use something like WinAMP to set up playlists.

Then it should support any m3u playlists, not necesseraly created by winamp.

There is an option in EAC to create m3u automatically after extraction. However, I don't remember where EAC creates them. I think it puts the playlist together with the ripped mp3s (it will be the album subfolders in your case). Then you will have to navigate into that subfolder to open the playlist on your player.