Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Automatically tagging compilations to year/album of original release? (Read 5363 times) previous topic - next topic

Automatically tagging compilations to year/album of original release?

I have been tagging my music collection (most from CDs, some from downloads) using MusicBrainz mainly, and I have been somewhat happy with the results. The only real issue is I have quite a bit of compilation CDs (best of type CDs) and I would really like my tagger to automatically pick the original release year and album of the song versus the year and album it actually came from. (to allow me to sort by year accurately)

I haven't seen this feature in MusicBrainz (but I may just have missed it), what tagger out there would have a feature or option that allows me to do this?

thanks in advance!

Reply #1
The only real issue is I have quite a bit of compilation CDs (best of type CDs) and I would really like my tagger to automatically pick the original release year and album of the song versus the year and album it actually came from. (to allow me to sort by year accurately)

I face the same situation. Using foobar with the component 'Run Services' (foo_run) I can easily start a web search for artist+title. This leds me relatively fast to the original date. Once found I write it manually into the field ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE. After that, using the component 'Quick Search Toolbar' I can search for "same title" to transfer the orig date to all copies of the particular song.

Hope that helps, I would appreciate any semi-automatic solution for that.

You are also searching for the original album? Do you store that in a tag field? Which one?

Here's the same question in an older thread, http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=60976, unfortunately without answer.

Reply #2
You've got to to this manually.  The tagging isn't the hard part...  The hard part is finding the information.    The best you can hope for is that the dates are printed on the CD insert.  I don't believe there are any complete (or nearly complete) databases, and certainly there are no complete automatically searchable databases.

Once found I write it manually into the field ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE.
Another trick is to enter a partial year, such as "196" if you think (or you know) the song is from the 1960's.

Reply #3
You've got to to this manually.  The tagging isn't the hard part...  The hard part is finding the information.

That is exactly right, it's the handraulic nature of it that burns time. The issue is particularly annoying for me because Most of my albums (whether on  CD or electronic) are compilation, or best ofs, and the OCD sufferer in me wants to be able to sort it by it's original years, as sometimes I will want to listen to 70s music, and I don't care if it's a re-mastered version, or a polished one from from a 1985 KTEL compilation, it is 70s music after all...

I have been using MusicBrainz, and I will prompt MusicBrainz to search by year to tag the right album, and if that doesn't work, then I go into full manual mode and manually tag from either Allmusic or Wikipedia.

When I first started tagging my files, the ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE was not supported, so I tagged on the one and only year field and that is my problem. Now I want to re-tag all my collection (12000+) with both the RELEASE YEAR and the ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE automatically. Of my collection, about half has already been tagged appropriately, and there is no way I'm starting all over... (also I was tagging GENRE using Wikipedia or Allmusic suggested genre, which sometimes are Postspeed hardcore, or Nu HeavyMetal Punk, and now I want to stay away from that crap, way to complicated! I will use basic GENREs for all of it and have it done automatically as well if I can find a good tagger that does it well)

All this to say, I scroured the internet and the forums and found no help, but I did find the following plug-in for MusicBrainz (right under my freakin nose): http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Picard_Plugins

It's the Original Release Date plug-in and it's suppose to set the original release date of a release by using the release events and "earliest release" advanced relationships. Have any of you seen this, and tried it?

I will try it this week and see what kind of results I obtain, but if anyone has any info on this, or anything else related to this thread, please let me know.