Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New full (!) Lame frontend with cd ripper! (Read 27990 times) previous topic - next topic

New full (!) Lame frontend with cd ripper!

Reply #50
Shefl will be under the GPL license
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Congratulations! Welcome again to the community .

In case you don't know already, this is how you can release your program under the GPL. (BARE MINIMUM requirements)

1) First, REMOVE ALL notices that the program is "freeware" (on your website and everywhere in your program, including the installer), and replace that with "released under the GPL".

2) You have the option of
2a) Package all source code with the installer zip
2b) Put all source code up for download in separate package on the website
2c) Add a prominent note in the program and website that anyone can contact you for a copy of the source code. (This includes the installer notice). And of course DO provide the source code when people request for it.

3) GPL is available [a href="http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt]here[/url].
3a) If you chose option 2a, include a copy of the GPL with the program-source bundle.
3b) If you chose option 2b, include a copy of the GPL with the source package.
3c) If you chose option 2c, include a copy of the GPL when someone requests the source.

Reply #51
Thanks. 
But previous post is more important for me.

Reply #52
I need your people suggestions. It concern of Lame presets.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346732"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Make it nested.

Basically, you would have a central Presets item in Menu, and no presets anywhere else. Centralize, or it will be very confusing. So replace the existing "Favorites" with presets.

The tabbed settings box that is currently called "Menu "Favorites"" - don't make people go into Shefl options to get that. Put that under "Presets".

It SHOULD be basically like the Bookmarks system in most browsers: Add Bookmark. Manage Bookmarks. <Bookmark1>. <Bookmark2>. <Bookmarkn>. So a menuitem Add Presets would put current commandline to preset, and Manage Presets will pop up that "Menu "Favorites"" list.

And then, again, LIKE BOOKMARKS, make it possible to create little folders in the Presets list. That would be perfect.

Why this way? Because it is FAMILIAR to everyone, for whom the Bookmarks system have been deeply ingrained and makes perfect sense. Leaving "lame presets" here and "favorite presets" there is only confusing. To put it lightly. (Ask Gambit about putting it not so lightly). Your interface should be such that even when all the words are translated into an alien language, it should still be familiar enough to figure out what the gist of everything mean.

This is the less important stuff. The next post will be...

Reply #53
... the important stuff, and that is -
But previous post is more important for me.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346757"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That, to me, is ******* rude, besides illegal.

I don't think I need to remind you that you have already broken the law by not adhereing to the very basic premise of GPL - that you have released non-GPL binary derivatives. Technically, CDex can already sue you for that.

But of course, this is a community, and not inhuman technicalities. You already agreed to right things by relicensing your stuff under GPL - that's great! We appreciate that very much. And the very basic thing you CAN do then - seeing that your encoder is also so much a ripper - is to give your durn respect to the author of CDex, ASAP! The first thing you SHOULD be doing once you get time, legally or morally, is to IMMEDIATELY do the bare minimum I have outlined for you 3 posts ago to get your project officially GPL, and not working on whether to have presets in options or favorites.

Reply #54
Now that the important complaint is done, let me do more bug reports:
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 under i686

Code: [Select]
Problem summary: Invalid characters (????)
Severity: High
Reproducible: Always

Appears in:
- "Add files..." dialogue, for "Files of type", I see "?????" for all the filetypes, followed by the correctly displayed extensions (".wav"...). The only exception is ".raw", in which the filetype is shown as "raw ?????"
- In "Shefl Options", "Directories", the starting filepath is "???" and below, the Lame identifier string is initially shown as "Lame = ???"
- In "Context menu", "Context menu items", the text immediately following the checkboxes, but before the number, are shown as "?????". For example, I would see
"[ ] ????? 1       [ComboBox1    v]   [               ]"
- In "Lame options", "MPEG Streams/Markers", the title of the dialogue is shown as "MPEG ????? / ???????"

Problem summary: Module error while selecting lame.exe path
Severity: Medium

If one tries to select a path for lame.exe for the first time, Shefl emits an error:

"Access violation at address 004DD4E0 in module 'Shefl.exe'. Read of address 00000000."

After the initial selection however, the dialogue works normally.

Problem summary: "Enter Lame command line" override does not work
Severity: High

Pressing the "Enter lame command line" button and entering a command line ("-V 2", "-V 2 --vbr-new", "--preset-standard", even the example one shown "-abr 256 -b 32 -B 320", does not give a response.

Other suggestions:

- Again, it's Encode and Decode, not "Code" and Decode.

- The Encode / Decode selection should be a radio select that jumps between the two, not checkboxes (then you can check both. Or uncheck both. Which makes no sense.).

- So you theoretically want a tool with uh, a lot of options on one page. But the entire thing screams of useless options. Why not make it simpler and actually tailored to the user? Currently, the first page in Lame options is Filters, the second MPEG Stream / Markers... things the user, or even an advanced user, would never need to touch! Meanwhile, the CBR/ABR/VBR selection is in some cryptic tab called "Coding (modes)" WHAT GIVES?

- Again, menu bar at the top!

- Tooltips! Because you don't use icons people are familiar with (!), you need to put tooltips to show what they are. Currently the only Tooltip I have ever seen is in Lame options for the commandline button (which pops up to say "Enter Lame command line". Which doesn't work.

- NO FLASHING ITEMS! People don't want flashing items distracting them, at any time.  If you don't believe me, google for how much people hate the <blink> tag. That means no flashing light beside the [Shefl!] button, no turning gears in any of the "Options" dialogues!

Familiarity! I would think this is a program most here won't use, unless you rectify at least some of the design problems. And DEFINITELY after you rectify the GPL problem.

Edit: Hit submit by accident.
Edit: Added Encode/Decode comment

Reply #55
After reading this thread I thought I would post this here. Sorry if it offends
anyone but this is not a Flame starter or advertising it is informational to make
people aware of these. If no one knows. More people ripping CDEX. There is a
lot that exsist.

http://lists.gpl-violations.org/pipermail/...ber/000530.html

http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/legal/...ber/000596.html

http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/legal/...ber/000610.html

http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/legal/...ber/000578.html

Reply #56
I nothing hide from users. Of course I could change author name of CDRIp.dll and could try to hide all CDEX mentions. But I didn't do that.  I had an idea to write own RIPmodule but cause for lack of time I  throw up this idea.  I I didn't foget Shefl project so in a few days  there will be release  with most fixed bugs and some innovations

Reply #57
Just a thought : I don't think branding Alex. as a "GPL code thief" is necessary -- it brings nothing to users here, and is merely a scarlet letter made to intimidate.  Ridiculous as though it may seem, people will drift naturally to the better application, and whoever wrote the code used in Shefl can request it to be removed, or intent legal action. (or cede rights to legal action to another party)

Reply #58
Just a thought : I don't think branding Alex. as a "GPL code thief" is necessary -- it brings nothing to users here, and is merely a scarlet letter made to intimidate.  Ridiculous as though it may seem, people will drift naturally to the better application, and whoever wrote the code used in Shefl can request it to be removed, or intent legal action. (or cede rights to legal action to another party)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366139"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps he should mail the new PM of CDEX and ask. There is also a note
that they are looking for developers. My thought about this is as long as Alex
knows and tries to make things right by at least talking about it and seeing what can be done to make it right. Then he should not be branded as a Code thief.
It seems that this situation is different from the others that I have posted about.

Reply #59
These are also important steps from ZNODEs post. This is one of the reasons that development stopped on cdex as far as I have understood. People and companies using it for profit. Some are freeware. Most are not. Since 2002 I believe. CDRIP.dll can be found in a lot of these.  Also CDEX itself.

1) First, REMOVE ALL notices that the program is "freeware" (on your website and everywhere in your program, including the installer), and replace that with "released under the GPL".

2) You have the option of
2a) Package all source code with the installer zip
2b) Put all source code up for download in separate package on the website
2c) Add a prominent note in the program and website that anyone can contact you for a copy of the source code. (This includes the installer notice). And of course DO provide the source code when people request for it.

3) GPL is available here.
3a) If you chose option 2a, include a copy of the GPL with the program-source bundle.
3b) If you chose option 2b, include a copy of the GPL with the source package.
3c) If you chose option 2c, include a copy of the GPL when someone requests the source.

Reply #60
Thanx MACC. I'll do it in a few days.

Reply #61
And some else. Please do not download current version of Shefl even just for looking. It's really non complete and with non finished interface part  and some important bugs.  In few days there will be new release!

Reply #62
And some else. Please do not download current version of Shefl even just for looking. It's really non complete and with non finished interface part  and some important bugs.  In few days there will be new release!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366492"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you complied with the GPL yet? You have had two months since Znodes posts to do so.

Reply #63
He said he'd do it in a few days.  basically, if in a week it's not done, he's asking to get bant

Reply #64
Hi! You can download Shefl Advanced v0.90 beta 5 from http://shefl.ho.com.ua
thnx. Waiting for your comments.

Reply #65
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=370935"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That link takes me to the download link, but that link takes me to another site, that I can not read since I only have one primary lang. Still I clicked on the links there and just more pages.

Reply #66

That link takes me to the download link, but that link takes me to another site, that I can not read since I only have one primary lang. Still I clicked on the links there and just more pages.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=370936"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dude, click on the links below the screenshot
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #67

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=370936"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dude, click on the links below the screenshot
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=370937"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah I got that now. My browser was displaying the page that was stored in my temp folder and not the actual updated page. Even after refreshing. Clean that folder for the fourth time today.

Reply #68
And other...

Shefl is under the GPL (Source on request)
...so it reads on shefl.ho.com.ua...
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #69
Still no mention of Albert L Faber unless I missed it somewhere. Not to mention that is the CDex Ripping Library. CDRIP.dll

Reply #70
Why did this phrase "GPL code thief" was not removed yet?

Some remarks to new users:
it will be better if you run Shefl with enabled XP styles.
And please post all bugs to shefl_lame[at].f-m.fm

thnx.

Reply #71
If users can request source code, maybe you should post a "request" address?

Reply #72
Well, I emailed a good few days ago and have had no respone, thought i'd post here my request for the source. My address is:
 hsscd @ hotmail.com

Cheers,

Kristian

Reply #73
Well, I emailed a good few days ago and have had no respone, thought i'd post here my request for the source. My address is:
 hsscd @ hotmail.com

Cheers,

Kristian
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373300"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had emailed for the source and received it a day later. So maybe he's overwelmed with responses and mails.

Reply #74
 hsscd @ hotmail.com

Cheers,

Kristian
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373300"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had emailed for the source and received it a day later. So maybe he's overwelmed with responses and mails.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373307"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or I could send it to you since its under the GPL right.