Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavegain: taking calculated gain changes from log file and applying th (Read 9538 times) previous topic - next topic

Wavegain: taking calculated gain changes from log file and applying th

Let me preface this by saying that I know squat about programming, but would it be possible for Wavegain to be able to take the info from the log file (from doing a 'calculate but don't apply' operation) and then going right to the 'apply' process?

As it stands now, if you want to see what the gain values are for an album or group of files, you can use the 'calculate' function, but then if you want to apply those changes you have to calculate them all a second time. Just seems redundant and time consuming, especially with a large group of files.

Reply #1
agreed, some sort of switch like "--apply 0.325" that would just apply said scalefactor to all indicated files. While I sort of avoid this issue by parsing intermediate output in OmniEncoder, things could be simplified with such a switch. John33?

Reply #2
agreed, some sort of switch like "--apply 0.325" that would just apply said scalefactor to all indicated files. While I sort of avoid this issue by parsing intermediate output in OmniEncoder, things could be simplified with such a switch. John33?

Interesting thought.  Let me take a look at it. I'll get back to you.

Reply #3
You the man. Don't ever let anyone say otherwise!

And a question for you... since I'm about to upload the OmniEncoder beta to HA in the next day or so (just gotta roll the .msi and add some documentation) and i use WaveGain in it, i'd like to credit you in the About box. Could you PM me your personal info?

Reply #4
I realize this topic has been forgotten, but I think the original question is still valid.  What are the chances of this feature showing up at some point?

Reply #5
Bump.

Reply #6
2+ year bump (sorry, but I'm curious as to whether the suggestion will ever be implemented).

Reply #7
I'd be surprised if there's much interest in implementing it given that many people used lossless compression with tagging support. A util like foobar2000 can scan for Replay Gain just like Wavgain but without needing to decompress to a WAV file on disk, and store results in tags. If you want to apply the gain, you can run a Convert... operation and apply Replay Gain at that time (along with many other potentially useful DSPs) all with top quality dither applied automatically, and in the same application many of us use to rip and play our music. Is it worth the effort to duplicate this in wavgain with, surely, a significantly smaller user base who might want this feature?
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #8
I often want to ReplayGain a bunch of WAV files, peak normalise the overall result by album, and burn a CD. I've used Wavegain analysis, checked the peak, typed in an appropriate scale factor, and run it all over again.

I can't think of an easier way of doing it in fb2k. Anyway, fb2k won't tag WAV files. Sometimes I've resorted to converting WAV to FLAC just to get fb2k to ReplayGain it, then burnt a CD from those FLACs (which fb2k then converts to intermediate WAVs!). This isn't better than Wavegain!

Solutions were discussed in this thread...
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry717840

Cheers,
David.

P.S. Why WAV rather than FLAC? Because I've recorded them myself, and the next time I use them it will either be to burn another CD, or edit/process them. Encoding then decoding to FLAC just to get ReplayGain / tag support is insane.

Reply #10
I've just had a week away in France, so I've only just seen this. The modified version of WaveGain for mono files that make up multichannel audio has an option, when applying the gain, to manually modify the gain prior to applying it, but obviously after the analysis. Would this fit the requirement? I don't think it would take much effort to add this option to the standard WaveGain.