Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod mini 2G stutters when playing LAME aps (Read 144753 times) previous topic - next topic

iPod mini 2G stutters when playing LAME aps

Reply #125
I'm throwing in the towel. Since I have an iMac, a shuffle, and soon an iPod Nano and iTunes 5 now has VBR (ie. ABR  ) I'm going with AAC 192 VBR instead of LAME MP3 APS. No stuttering worries for me anymore.

Oh - and my Mini will soon be on eBay 

Reply #126
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326155"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That makes two of us 

Reply #127
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326155"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That makes two of us 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326162"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm seriously considering making that three of us!
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #128
Just brought a 4G colour iPod.

Thought that would cure the problem... And it almost did!

However still stutters on the NIN - Right Where it Belongs sample...

I'd say: It's going to be darn hard to find any songs that stutters on the 4G colour iPod, but they do exist.

What's more: It did not help using the Bass Reducer EQ settings, however Acoustic will do the trick.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313376"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Isn't this a bit weird if it increases the clockspeed for every preset other than flat and off?

Reply #129
I had the same problem with LAME, but files encoded using the Helix MP3 encoder play on the Shuffle, Nano and iPod Photo with no problems atall, this is at V 135 (equivalent bit rate to LAME V 1 --vbr-new).  Even though it is still early days for testing the Helix encoder, I'm happy with the quality, and it saves me having to keep multiple copies of songs encoded at different bit rates for different players.

Reply #130
iPod nano stutters as bad as iPod mini 2G... 

Just back from the shop, where I had a chance to test it with Five Years after and Right Where it Belongs.

Skipping/stuttering exactly the same as on the iPod mini 2G. 

The nano EQ distort the sound as bad as the EQ on the mini. 

To sum up the problem:
The stuttering will occur in specific locations on selected songs. A rough estimate is that less than 1% of songs will have this problem, but it depends on the music you have in your library.

If you want top sound quality either:
- don't buy Apple or
- don't use LAME aps

Reply #131
I wonder if using --vbr-new might prevent this problem? People have noticed that it doesn't produce as wide of a spread of bitrates.

Reply #132
Yeah I am very curious on whether 3.97b1 causes this issue on the Mini's and Nano's. I may have to do some fiddling around...
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #133
Nice to see someone figured out the cause of this. Good job!

I found this thread by google search, never been to the forums before, but i thought i should add my experience with the G2 ipod mini and LAME aps so far. Which is: ALL songs encoded with LAME aps skips in several places. Althought only a few skip noticeably like 'Right where it belongs'.

If only Apple would do an equaly good job and make one last fix for the world's best selling mp3 player of all time. But i suppose that is too much to ask for 

EDIT: Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but i noticed that a sudden decrease in bitrate can make it skip too.

Reply #134
Hrmm is this problem only inherent in iPods or any other players that use the same PortalPlayer chips? Or is clock speed determined by the manufacturer as it seems to be linked to battery life (i.e. lower speed increase battery life). Also if possible could someone please PM me a link to the above files so I can test on my iRiver H10 (I didn't like the Nano so I bought the H10 instead  ).

Regards
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Reply #135
Hrmm is this problem only inherent in iPods or any other players that use the same PortalPlayer chips? Or is clock speed determined by the manufacturer as it seems to be linked to battery life (i.e. lower speed increase battery life). Also if possible could someone please PM me a link to the above files so I can test on my iRiver H10 (I didn't like the Nano so I bought the H10 instead  ).

Regards
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33495&view=findpost&p=292861]First post with links to samples[/url]

Reply #136
I feel so dumb! Dumber still I read the whole thread as well...   
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Reply #137
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an iPod Nano. It has been mentioned somewhere in this topic that turning on the equalizer may fix the lame -aps "stuttering" problem. Can anyone confirm this? If this does solve the issue, is there anyway to have the equalizer turned on, yet set everything "flat" (so there is no actual change in sound)? And if so, does setting everything flat still resolve the issue?

From the original post...
- problem go away when using an EQ setting different from flat/off
- only safe EQ setting to use is Bass Reducer / Treble Reducer in order to avoid distortion of songs with a high recording level

Is this indeed the only way? 

Thanks!
You smell.

Reply #138
From the original post...
- only safe EQ setting to use is Bass Reducer / Treble Reducer in order to avoid distortion of songs with a high recording level

Is this indeed the only way? 

Thanks!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331394"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My initial tests have been pretty positive with 3.97x and -V2 --vbr-new. At least with the NIN song I don't hear the stuttering, whereas with 3.90.3 and aps I did.

Reply #139
I found skipping with the rock EQ on a Queens of the Stone Age Track. It wasn't 100% reproducible though, but about 5 in 10 it would still skip. Very Odd!

The Track in question is "Little Sister" of "Lullabize To Parralze", encoded with lame 3.96 -V 2.

I can't get it skipping the few times i tried this morning, but i was 50% reproducible on my long train journey home the other day.

Kristian

Reply #140
Hello to all Members,

I'm the new one and I only want to make a single post
I know the iPod mini 2G problem from the first second - I love EBM music and I think there are 10 percent of my songs which show this stuttering problem.

Okay... but today I think I have found a small solution. With your "_show_speed" instruction you gave me an idea: there are other options, too.
Please put another empty file in "/iPod_Control/Device/" but name it "_disable_cache". (It's possible to put more options than one at a time.)

Now the clock speed is only at 80 - the stuttering is away. But I don't know, if the battery time is shorter now or not!?

Please test it, I'm very excited to your opinion.

Reply #141
Hello to all Members,

I'm the new one and I only want to make a single post
I know the iPod mini 2G problem from the first second - I love EBM music and I think there are 10 percent of my songs which show this stuttering problem.

Okay... but today I think I have found a small solution. With your "_show_speed" instruction you gave me an idea: there are other options, too.
Please put another empty file in "/iPod_Control/Device/" but name it "_disable_cache". (It's possible to put more options than one at a time.)

Now the clock speed is only at 80 - the stuttering is away. But I don't know, if the battery time is shorter now or not!?

Please test it, I'm very excited to your opinion.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=342597"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If it means that it doesn't use the onboard flash memory, then the battery would be much reduced

Reply #142
and also if it means this, then you are at risk from more micro drive faliure, as it will be reading all the time, leaving increased risk for head crashes etc.

Kristian

Reply #143
If it means that it doesn't use the onboard flash memory, then the battery would be much reduced
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=342600"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, you are right. I have made a test with full battery - its lifetime was only ~5h now. That's similar to the iPod mini 1G.

Ehm... yes. What should I say? It's no full solution - but a small way.
Please, Apple, give us hope...

Reply #144
and also if it means this, then you are at risk from more micro drive faliure, as it will be reading all the time, leaving increased risk for head crashes etc.

Kristian
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=342668"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That seems so... I know

Reply #145
Any update on this issue?

My nano skips on many of my songs (not a majority, but enough to irritate the heck out of me)...  I have all of my files (over 100GB of mp3s) encoded using LAME, and re-encoding is just not a viable option...  I don't think I could stomach reripping that many CDs all over again!

Songs skip regardless of whether I use the EQ setting or not...

I am considering another iPod as a companion to my nano...  Does this problem occur on the new iPods (with video capabilities)?

In any case, I am praying that Apple puts out a firmware fix for this issue, since I plan on keeping my nano, even if I get a new larger capacity unit...  I would rather have less battery life with skip-free music!

Reply #147
Have there been any reports about Nano stuttering when playing iTunes AAC @ 128 kbps VBR?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352764"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
AFAIK No

Reply #148
I'm quite honestly suprised they haven't fixed this, and I actually have faith they will (considering how far they upgraded the original 1G model's firmware, even though they still had most of the market back then)

They're obviously somewhat concerned with quality going by the progress on their AAC encoder. Apparently Steve jobs responds personally to email sent to him and I was going to ask him about it but I don't actually own an iPod since it got stolen so it hasn't actually affected me. Anyway it just seems strange. Have people been leaving them feedback about it or is the storm constrained to this teacup? Maybe they don't know, or don't realize how bad it is?

Reply #149
Any update on this issue?

i was going to ask the same. i'm about to buy a nano, but i would have to buy an iAudio if LAME works bad.

EDIT:

- for the 4G color iPod only the sample with NIN - Right Where it Belongs stutters, even with the EQ set to Bass Reducer. Acoustic EQ setting makes the problem go away.

sorry for the question, but i'm yet to onw an iPod, does the Bass/Treble Reducer EQ settings change the music much? i mean, if that fixes the problem, why don't use it?